Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2007, 06:24 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
That's funny Martha. My mom was born and raised on a farm in the midwest. I remember that as a kid, the easiest way to get swat from grandma was to even consider wearing your shoes in the house. I think even my grandfather was afraid of what would happen to him if got a speck of dirt in that house.

As for me, my wife doesn't allow shoes in the house either. I don't mind taking them off, it's more confortable anyway and it makes peace in the house.
Well I was mostly raised by old men.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:49 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Shoes? Nothing but boxers for me...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

No shoes allowed in the house. I have no problem telling my guests to take off their shoes. We have extra pairs of slippers for them.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
We were haphazard shoes off people for the first 13 years in the current house, and less than weekly vacuumers. We've always had two dogs too. Hardwood floors got trashed after about 6 years and got progressively darker for the next 7. About 5 years ago we sanded and urethaned the floors, added rugs and runners in the highest traffic areas, and implemented the shoes off in the house rule. Dogs are walled off in new tiled entryway or banished to concrete floor basement until they've cleaned their feet. Also began paying for a housecleaner biweekly. The floors still look great. Guests take one look at our nice home and all the shoes piled up in the entryway and kick their own off too.
lem1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was working I would usually keep my shoes on at home... I didn't want to hassle with shoes every time I left to take the garbage out or water the plants outside.

But when I FIRE'd I would typically spend more time at home, and got to really liking the cleaner floors and comfort of no shoes. So now "No shoes" is the standard, although I don't bother asking guests to take off their shoes.

Now that I'm selling my condo, it's a tough call... on the one hand I have new light carpet installed that I want to keep clean, but on the other hand walking around barefoot you feel every little irregularity in the foundation under the carpet, which doesn't seem reassuring. Also I've noticed that people without shoes tend to not go out on the patio to enjoy the views. So I'm thinking of encouraging people to leave their shoes on now!
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #86

that's what house slippers are for!

if you've ever been to an asian market you'll notice they are flowing out of bins in the grocery store, or wherever - for about $2-3 bucks. You're out of luck if you have big feet though cuz the boyz slippers max out around size 11 and girls around size 8...
Old 06-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
that's what house slippers are for! ...
I often wear my house slippers outside, but I don't take my shoes off to come in.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I sometimes wonder at people who have a no shoes policy, but have big hairy pawed dogs walking all over everything.

I suspect that sometimes it's just a demonstration of dominance.

Ha
Old 06-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have only been a couple of houses where people didn't wear shoes. I take mine off because I don't like wearing shoes but not every time I come in.
I might try it with the next house when I retire. I will have a house built with a mud room/bathroom. Then when running in and out all day you can at least go to the bathroom without taking off shoes. My boyfriend's mom has an enclosed porch and didn't allow shoes in the dining room for anyone except me because I bought her new dining room carpet for Christmas, most shoes were left on the porch because it was a farm and near the beach, sandy clothes weren't allowed in.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote