Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Well, I had a good run...
Old 07-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, I had a good run...

But now I have a *gulp* job interview of sorts lined up for later this month. Actually, it is a possible contract/consulting gig that I could apparently do remotely, part time, and for a pile of money. All of that adds up to being fairly attractive, it would be interesting work that I would be primarily doing with a friend, and I could make it highly tax efficient. Yet somehow I am having a hard time working up much enthusiasm. Well, guess I will see how things play out. If it dies not happen, I will not exactly be crushed.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a funny feeling that you are going to go back to work; as much as you say you don't want to, I think a part of you wants it.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #3

Your time is VERY expensive, best be a BIG pile of money.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #4

I can't fault you for considering the opportunity. It doesn't matter if it represents a BIG pile of money or working for free. The key is that pursuing it is your CHOICE. This is the ultimate freedom.
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #5

Remote. Part time. No boss?

Then it's not really a job, is it?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I have a funny feeling that you are going to go back to work; as much as you say you don't want to, I think a part of you wants it.
When I quit I did so with the intention of keeping my eyes open for interesting opportunities that came with significant money. But unless I am financially forced to, I am never going back to the cube. This opportunity is worth considering because I could do it remotely and part time, with the only face time required being an all expense paid trip to the city of my birth (where my siblings still live) every couple of months. And importantly, this is contract work. If I find I don't want to deal with this any more, it dies a natural death.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

As the cover to "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" says... Don't Panic!
As with anything worthwhile, retirement takes practice. I tried it, went six months before an interesting j$b came up. Figured I'd do it for a year, but was having so much fun, the gig lasted for six -until it wasn't fun any more. So far I'm 2months into my current retirement, applying lessons learned, and enjoying myself even more than I did the first time around. It also helps that I got to sock away a bunch of cash, which allows for more confidence and a few more splurges.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #8

Sounds good. I did half time at home without feeling too constrained. I just didn't get much video gaming in. The games were still waiting when I was done.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

In your shoes, Brewer, I'd take what sounds like an awesome offer. Then again, in your shoes, I would probably walk funny.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck with the interview! You're young and still have plenty of time to re-retire early...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe you don't feel much enthusiam, yet, because you don't want to feel major disapointment if it doesn't work out? And, smart way to handle the possibility if that's whats your feelings at this point in time. Good Luck!
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #12

I've taken a few gigs like this...part time, from home, limited travel, no boss, etc, etc. I charge a lot to weed out the folks that I don't really want to do work for. If I like them, the project and the terms then I do it. If not then I don't. Been nice to add a few shekels to the accounts and like you said if you do it correctly it can be easily tax sheltered.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Heck, I did part-time contract work on/off for 10 years before I quit for real. I demanded both good money and good work, else I walked. And I did a few times. I fired my clients, not the other way around. It was great.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I'm still piddling around a bit for old clients doing oilfield acquisitions. Mostly private equity deals. It's kicking the tires on small companies and requires some travel and detective work by me. I hate to turn this part time work away as it is very lucrative and I still haven't learned how to retire full time yet. Must be in my genes or something...
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
But now I have a *gulp* job interview of sorts lined up for later this month. Actually, it is a possible contract/consulting gig that I could apparently do remotely, part time, and for a pile of money. All of that adds up to being fairly attractive, it would be interesting work that I would be primarily doing with a friend, and I could make it highly tax efficient. Yet somehow I am having a hard time working up much enthusiasm. Well, guess I will see how things play out. If it dies not happen, I will not exactly be crushed.
Hey, this could be a great opportunity. As others have pointed out, you can have your cake and eat it too. Being young, you can enjoy the attractive/interesting job right now, and still have plenty of time afterwards for a long and fulfilling retirement.

Seems to me that the biggest challenge will be not losing the friend over work related issues, or if you should decide you want to ditch the job.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #16

I think in the future those will be my favorite jobs. Likely i'll cover my living expenses and blow the rest on luxury vacations and what not to make up for saving so much early on. Because you are FI, you have the option or (nearly) guilt free spending. It a dream, at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In your shoes, Brewer, I'd take what sounds like an awesome offer. *Then again, in your shoes, I would probably walk funny.*
Funny. I'll stash that in my back pocket for some future occasion.
rockyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

sounds like a no-brainer ... interesting work w/no LT commitment and the money is good...what's not to like about those apples?
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm still piddling around a bit for old clients doing oilfield acquisitions. Mostly private equity deals. It's kicking the tires on small companies and requires some travel and detective work by me. I hate to turn this part time work away as it is very lucrative and I still haven't learned how to retire full time yet. Must be in my genes or something...
There is a very interesting interview with Boone Pickens on Motley Fool. He has to be my favorite public person. He says he loves to work, loves to make money, and loves to give it away. In addition to his huge gift to Oklahoma State's Athletic department, I think he has given away > 1 billion.

Ha
Old 07-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Good luck with the interview! You're young and still have plenty of time to re-retire early...
+1