What a great unexpected difference one day makes!

I had the feeling of freedom this month after getting the paycheck and being giddy that it was ours to spend/save or whatever! A little history-- early december, we paid our beach house off.

Now its a sprint to the ER finish line in 2020. We will have more than enough to retire come 2020, and will be splurging alot more over the next few years. The only reason for waiting until 2020 to retire, is because of the Early retirement pension option from mega corp. Currently golden handcuffed to the job.

Last edited:
Technically, January 1st was my first day of retirement, so I did feel great that day.

But a year before my retirement, I worried about what if I'm wrong about finances. Fortunately, that only lasted about 6 weeks. Then countdowns and "lasts" started happening. That's the last time I have to work on a year end financials. Just 3, 2, 1 more quarterly report to do.

Six months before retirement was another feel good moment because I could quit at any time and the retirement plan would survive. At 3 months before, I knew I could make it to the end, because it was so close. I had an inept boss who had 10 people leave that year because of his ineptness, so a big feel good day was when I gave him a one line resignation letter, only surpassed by the last time I walked out of the office and the first year of retirement has been a continuation.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks for the replies! The feeling is subsiding a little bit, as I expected it would, and that's ok. Today may arouse suspicion among my brethren as we pick vacation slots for the year. They know that I typically choose fall, but I will pick some June and July slots and roll the rest into deferred comp. When they give me flack, as jovial firefighters do, I will just shrug my shoulders, grin and keep em guessing.

Arktinkerer, I hope it all works out. Having been a executor on three different estates, it was not easy, but in the end it was worthwhile.

No rv yet, still doing research. I'll be off to Houston next month to kick some more tires. That rv show is the biggest in the state. I imagine I will wind up with a toy hauler to take along the Harley, kayak, bass guitar w/ amp, golf clubs, fishing gear, other items I am forgetting right now, etc...

No rv yet, still doing research. I'll be off to Houston next month to kick some more tires. That rv show is the biggest in the state. I imagine I will wind up with a toy hauler to take along the Harley, kayak, bass guitar w/ amp, golf clubs, fishing gear, other items I am forgetting right now, etc...
I recommend while you're checking out RV's in Houston you take the time to visit PPL. You can see many different makes/models and save big $ by buying a gently used toy hauler rather than take a huge depreciation hit buying new.

For the RV I strongly suggest finding a used one. I like older models and don't mind tinkering to make one just the way I want. Even if that is too much like w*rk for you, a trip to a southern location--AZ or FL-- to buy one that made a one way trip from the north will save you thousands. I find I pay money now because I don't have time. Having time would, I hope, make the road trip more enjoyable and the selection process less hectic. Buy a new one and its like taking a new car off the lot only worse. Losing 30% on a $100K RV on day one is a terrible thing when there are lots of great, like new, RVs sitting in the driveways and storage lots of retirement havens.

Still a few months to go for us. Gotta get some 2015 earnings to max 401K, Roths, HSA. Home stretch though!

Yep, it will be a gently used one. I have saved the brochures over the last few years to have more info as I spot em. I have always heard that the Tx valley is a good place to look since lots of snowbirds sell at that time before heading back north. Might not be too good for the toy hauler market but food for thought. Before the internet, and maybe still, they would use community billboards at the grocery stores, Walmarts, etc to advertise.

Before the internet, and maybe still, they would use community billboards at the grocery stores, Walmarts, etc to advertise.
Yep. And even with the internet, craigslist and other local ads, many of them give up trying to sell it themselves and consign it to places like PPL. Once again, they are worth a look...

There are several great RV forums, I would keep an eye on their classified sections. RVforum.net, IRV2.com, RV-Dreams.com, Escapees.com.

Post a wanted ad, if you decide which toy hauler you want.

And a subscription to RV.org is well worth the money IMHO. Good to avoid an expensive mistake.

Go RV'g!

I recommend while you're checking out RV's in Houston you take the time to visit PPL.

Dagnabit. Now you got me looking & thinking about a travel trailer again. I gotta stop doing that.:facepalm:

And in warm sunny Texas too. At least warmer and sunnier than here. We're supposed to get 2" of snow tomorrow.:nonono:

Why? Trade that motorcycle in on something both you and your better half can enjoy!

That's the trouble, she doesn't want to tour the country in a TT. We had that discussion a decade ago. I did talk about it with her brother, he was all for it but the poor sap still has to w*rk to support the cc companies.

Don't get me wrong, it is no great deprivation to me if I never do that because there are plenty of other interesting things to do.

It's been hard for years, harder now that there is a definitive date (also July but possibly earlier due to corporate changes coming that will not lead to a layoff :( but are going to be big enough that I might not bother with a month or 2 worth of those changes). Right now the OMO (one more month) syndrome is to get health care things taken care of prior to leaving and max out the 401K (can't hurt right). That will be done by May or sooner and then we will see how those other changes are proceeding.

I had the feeling of freedom this month after getting the paycheck and being giddy that it was ours to spend/save or whatever! A little history-- early december, we paid our beach house off.

Now its a sprint to the ER finish line in 2020. We will have more than enough to retire come 2020, and will be splurging alot more over the next few years. The only reason for waiting until 2020 to retire, is because of the Early retirement pension option from mega corp. Currently golden handcuffed to the job.
You sound like me, paid off the mortgage 2 years ago, and have the golden handcuffs until 2020 as well. Not having a constant drain on the paycheck is a great feeling, close to FI, and a step or two below what RE must feel like. I'm having trouble splurging, but its coming along.

Back
Top Bottom