What a large percentage of people will be doing...

Re: What a large percentage of people will be doin

I find this part particularly disturbing:

"The partnership will benefit from the Department of Labor's $75 million a year Senior Community Service Employment Program, which helps people over 55 and under the poverty level get training to update their skills, redo their resumes and learn job skills."

Over 55 and in poverty is bad enough but its resumes, training and job skills that really makes me sick... :p and $75M will not be nearly enough in a few years.

I went to my nearest local Home Depot last week (had been awhile) and noticed a senior citizen acting as a 'greeter' at the door just like at a Walmart. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr it gave me the heebie jeebies ..

and $75M will not be nearly enough in a few years.

Fireman,

Probably will be a good investment for the government - We have to have someone paying our Social Security :D

Latest issue of Kiplinger has article on ER stating "A 2002 study by the Congressional Research Svc found that 75% of people 55-64 had $56K or less in retirement savings..." yikes. I cannot imagine.

Re: The elderly working at XXXXX...

The daily newspaper comic "Crankshaft" now has old man Crankshaft working as a greeter in "Sprawl-Mart".

A lady comes up and asks him:
"Can you tell me where I can find furnace filters?"

Pointing, with a grumpy look on his face, he replies:
"It's somewhere down there, beyond the motor oil and canned corn".

That would be me. I don't think I'd make a good greeter, but the competition would love me! ;)

An observation:

The introduction of the "Super" Wal-Mart has allowed the elderly greeter to have a stool to sit on.
The downside is that the greeting location has moved from inside the store itself, to out in the airlock area between the outer and inner doors!

What Home Depot has said to mature workers is: We respect mature workers, and we want to hire them," Seith said.

Respect?? When did a company the size of Home Depot ever respect employees? What a joke!!! They make it sound like they're doing them a favor.

Allow me to translate the above quote...What Home Depot has said to mature workers is: We want to hire old people at below average wages because it will improve profit margins at Home Depot and increase shareholder value.

Let's see how much respect these "mature workers" get when they beg for a raise. I'm sure Home Depot already factored in the turnover rate.

Sorry if I sound upset, but this goes totally against my grain. This is more like WF (Work Forever) instead of ER.

Back
Top Bottom