Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm new to this retirement game myself, having completely retired March 1. One thing I have to remind myself of from time to time is that it is OK to occasionally be doing nothing.

One of the aspects I enjoy most, in fact it may be what I most appreciate about retirement life is the realization that if I have a list of things to do, it typically does not matter if I get through the list today, because I have all day tomorrow or the next day, etc etc to do these things. As opposed to the old mindset of having to get all of this stuff done ASAP because on Monday I'll be working and won't have time to do it.

DW is not retired, and I see her running all over the place trying to get her stuff done so she can have a moment to relax before going back to work.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 07:38 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
One thing I have to remind myself of from time to time is that it is OK to occasionally be doing nothing something.
FIFY
Old 08-21-2016, 07:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
FIFY
Indeed. Clearly you have navigated farther down this psychological path than have I.

Learn from you I will, Sensei.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Find time to spend together and get to know each other as retirees. Life is different without the work routines. Rediscovering each other can be a lot of fun!

Enjoying life!
Buyer beware Make sure your routines don't collide.

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:56 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Right behind you, 98 days and counting. Semi-RE already, and what I find best is the calendar doesn't dictate my life as much. I can do a quality job on a project because I don't have to rush it. I can go fishing when the weather is good and don't have to be upset that the weekend wasn't fishable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
+1. Do things that you enjoy at a relaxing pace. Don't over plan. Let retirement come to you.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
+2
I was just thinking this past week that nothing has turned out as I thought it would. Among the surprises:

1) My plan to do some consulting work in the old field was broadsided first by "I just can't get this to happen" to "I don't want this to happen."

2) I find that I like structure in my days and week.

3) Although I probably over planned, it helped to create a river to navigate.

4) I have not yet gotten over the need to do something productive at least once a day, although it feels like I'm finally slowing down a bit. OTOH, I still don't know how to "do nothing" but that's probably because I'm still in the very early "go-go" years of retirement.

5) I'm amazed at how much I love to study, read, and reflect. The two things that have contributed greatly to my much improved quality of life this past year are all the non-fiction books I've read and the act of simplifying every aspect of my life. Removing friction through simplifying is the greatest feeling.

6) I am so glad I followed the advice not to move geographically right after retirement (no matter how bad I wanted/still want to) in order to allow for a transition period into retirement.

With so much of the pleasure of living and enjoying life to do now, I can't fathom how I had time to work.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
What advice do you have for a new retiree?
Old 08-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

What advice do you have for a new retiree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Expect the unexpected and go with it. No matter how much you plan ahead it will look different on the other side. Some of the things you thought you would do no longer seem important. Other things you never thought of will surprise you.

Other than that I would advise that you have a little bit of structure in your life and endeavor to interact with people at least once or more per week.

Yep. That "look different on the other side" rings true. Learn to relax and enjoy and appreciate how lucky you are.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Start spending more time at your local library and get to know the librarians.

They will get to know what you like in terms of books, DVDs, etc, and can make terrific suggestions to expand what you borrow and download. When I visit to get my weekly group of things I requested, I often find a magazine, DVD, or other thing one of the librarians think I will enjoy.

My local gals have been very helpful in showing me how to connect HDMI tools to my TV, download free music and podcasts to MP3 players, etc. Plus you can use your library's website to learn a new language, access online periodicals, query databases, and all sorts of things.

You can also access things from your library while traveling. You can download audiobooks, music, and more via your library website and your Log In information even if you are hundreds or thousands of miles away.

Happy RE!
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Enjoy yourself, you earned it. Worrying about money is not going to help. Spend within your means.......retired 5 years and doing well.
tennisplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #30
gone traveling

Its been 5 months for me and sometime I still dream I am at work and have some stupid project assigned to me, then when I wake up all the stress goes away.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Doughpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do this at least once. Put something that you SHOULD do on you calendar. When you get to that day, decide not to do it. Ahhhhhh, such joy.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #32

I retired at the end of June 2015. It was little disorienting at the beginning due to the transition from working 60 to 70 hours a week to full retirement. Every day seemed like a weekend. Sometimes I didn't know what day of the week it was. Prior to my retirement, my wife and I started getting back into shape by cycling regularly (28- 50 mile rides). We traveled for the first two months and then focused on home projects and traveled some more. Now I'm almost 14 months into my retirement and couldn't be happier. I would focus on staying fit, hobbies, managing your investments, travel, and other leisure time activities.

Good luck!
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Plan (or, better yet, don't plan) a daily "event" which reminds you that you are now retired. Such events can help you transition more quickly into the retirement mindset. Events should not be complicated or even well thought out. Could be as simple as an unplanned mid-morning walk in the neighborhood, spur of the moment trip to a new restaurant for lunch, a drive to the mall, take in a matinee or just an afternoon delight

Anything reminding you that you don't have to BE someplace or DO something is a good way to transition from w*rking to being retired. But, whatever you do, enjoy it!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:21 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Enjoy.

One early source of free entertainment was watching the local traffic. I'd point out to DW where on I70 I'd likely be sitting at. Always puts a smile on my face.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Enjoy.

One early source of free entertainment was watching the local traffic. I'd point out to DW where on I70 I'd likely be sitting at. Always puts a smile on my face.
You aren't kidding. Nothing brings a smile to my face more than sitting in my underwear on a Monday morning enjoying a fresh cup of coffee and watching the traffic cameras that are streaming on the local public access TV channel...it's quite cathartic.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:28 PM   #36

I am so looking forward to it! Love the opportunity to do spontaneous things and certainly can appreciate how great it will be not to have to do my horrible commute anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote