What and how was your experience of breaking the news to your employer about leaving?

My employer didn’t care. He forced me ( and others) out. I left with nothing.

Who's the Boss

I'm self-employed, so I'm my own boss. I'd like to retire but my boss doesn't want me to leave.

Actually I'm a consultant in an obscure consulting niche, with a large number of clients, aka, a large number of bosses. They don't want me to leave either.

The commute down the stairs every morning is getting annoying. (Too much traffic.)

Its confusing. I don't know if I'm coming or going. Maybe I should discuss it with the dog.

My time is coming soon, regardless. Probably later this year.

What a great question. In my case, I truly liked and cared about my manager and work team; this was with a major corporation that had its fair share of corporate chaos/b.s., but the culture within that team was something special. By fall 2019, I was 95% sure that March 2020 would be the time. So, 3 months ahead of time, I told my manager as a courtesy that I was thinking seriously about it (because my position would be somewhat hard to fill). Then about a month later, I made it official. Then her own boss dangled an upcoming promotion but my mind was made up and a couple of much-loved side gigs were waiting for me. It was all very "kumbaya" and I've had no regrets.

I worked my last 5 full time years in the mental health field. A hard job emotionally but very rewarding to be part of helping change a persons life.
When I gave a generous 3 month notice, my boss and I shed tears. They tried to get me to change my mind but they could see I was serious about leaving and with good reason so didn’t push. Of all the jobs I left, that was the hardest.

I've been coasting while working at home for years at a job I took to be semi-retired. The job was easy but the dysfunctional management and customers made it challenging and stressful. After turning 65 I finally decided to retire and gave two weeks notice and offered to train or help my replacement.

Management sent a notice to co-workers announcing my retirement along with a note that I'd be available to help train my replacement. But, as usual, nothing happened. On my last day the owner set up a one hour time for our exit interview. The hour came and went, I waited another half hour and unplugged my phone. Disappointed, but not surprised at his final failure/insult.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation, highly valuable as an outside consultant because no one in the company knows how to hire IT, but I've needed to go regardless.

What I've been doing is bringing in a consultant from Houston who is roughly equivalent to me, but younger so he's still building his business. He's competent, and he and I coordinate/collaborate well. I promise the client to be available for X months until there has been knowledge transfer between me and the new consultant, and then I'm out of it. Sometimes there's a decent size quarterly referral fee for me from the new consultant for a few years after the transition.

Everyone feels good about the transition process if its done right.

I have been talking about retiring for several years, They always said I wouldn't ever quit....
But have made concrete plans for this year... well they basically said NO.. but they actually can't stop me...
I can't submit my paperwork for retirement till 9/04, But they have already tried to get me to change my mind....
I've said no, but expect they are not done .....

But I am

Last edited:
I gave my notice two weeks ago, tomorrow is my last day. My supervisor had the sad-but-happy-for-me reaction and chatted a bit about how he hopes to join me in a couple of years. I knew MC wouldn't care a bit or make any effort to keep me on, but the supervisor said something along the lines of, "Well I know you're thrilled to be retiring, but just so I can tell my boss I tried, and I'm sure he'll ask, I'm guessing I can't change your mind by throwing money at you." I'm completely convinced that he had absolutely no authority to "throw money at me" and that his boss couldn't have cared less if he tried to keep me, but I thought it was a nice gesture.

Most interesting to me has been that three co-workers have reached out to ask how DW and I are going to handle healthcare. When I've told them that we'll be buying off the exchange thanks to the ACA they were all essentially oblivious to this option. One even said that when she met with her FA, years ago, he told her she'd have to work until she was eligible for Medicare. Turned out "years ago" was prior to the ACA and she had just accepted that word as gospel, never to be questioned or thought about again.

It has been another moment of recognition of just how different those of us who strive to RE approach the world.

My manager called me and confided he was going to have to go down one head count. He hinted it was going to be my partner and how it sucked because she just had a big loss in a divorce. I told him I'd be happy to be the one let go as I had met with Fido a month before and learned I had enough to retire.
My manager retired early less than a year later. My old partner is still working. Glad I was able to leave instead of having to absorb that much extra work.

I told my boss in April 2013 after 24 years at Megacorp. I had just turned 52. He was quite surprised. He thought I was a "lock" for at least another 3 years. Megacorp's official "early retirement" was age 55, at which point the pension gets a big boost and you get to keep all unvested options and RSUs. At 52, I'd be walking away from a lot.

I had started a new assignment recently and he assumed I wasn't happy with it. I told him it had nothing to do with that. Nevertheless, he sent various people, including his boss, to talk with me and figure out what it would take to get me to stay. They offered me a different job with no travel. I said no thanks. After a week or so of these meetings, they finally realized I was actually going to leave.

They asked me to keep it quiet for a "couple weeks" (which turned into a month) while they identified a replacement. My retirement was announced in late May, along with my replacement. I agreed to stay through the end of July to help my replacement get oriented. Then I spent the next 4 months consuming my unused vacation balance, which otherwise would have been cashed out at 75%. I also worked from home one day per week consulting on an acquisition project that I had been involved in.

My final termination on Nov 30 was sort-of a non-event. I drove in, went to HR, turned in my badge, laptop, and signed a bunch of non-compete stuff. All in all, I'd say it was a fairly positive experience for both sides.

My IT Megacorp that I worked for over 40 years was so messed up. As they 'cancelled' Christmas vacations and the 3 months after because of a so-called 'critical go-live' date on the account I supported, I gave them my notice about a week before Christmas 2012, last day being Dec. 31. Totally uneventful. Management and HR were so messed up they never closed on my badge or laptop. It was hideous, to say the least. Guess after that long, you are a dispensable, overpaid, asset. Anyone in IT knows about cheap labor from overseas replacing those who know a lot. No regrets, blessed, and living off my pension.

I stepped down to part-time from full-time and did that for two years because of my health. The whole time and even before that, I did say from time to time that I would be retiring early but I don't think my bosses and long time coworkers ever really believed me. When I went part-time, they thought, oh, she'll be back... Then finally, I'd had enough. That last night I was working I had decided it would be the last. I waited a few weeks and went to tell my boss to take me off the payroll. He seemed quietly surprised and didn't say much at first. I told him there wasn't any reason for me to continue on working because I was suffering physically and I didn't need the money. "If you ever need to come back" he said....I said "Well, I appreciate that, but I don't think I'll ever have to."

Last edited:
I turned in my resignation to my SVP who was a good friend. He asked if there was anything he could do to change my mind. When I said "No", he asked if I'd do him a favor and hold on to my letter overnight, so I did.
Bright and early the next morning, I gave him my letter again. Without saying word, he took it and went in to our Presidents office, so I went back to my office.
About 20 minutes later, he came into my office, shut the door and told me that he'd resigned too.

I turned in my resignation to my SVP who was a good friend. He asked if there was anything he could do to change my mind. When I said "No", he asked if I'd do him a favor and hold on to my letter overnight, so I did.
Bright and early the next morning, I gave him my letter again. Without saying word, he took it and went in to our Presidents office, so I went back to my office.
About 20 minutes later, he came into my office, shut the door and told me that he'd resigned too.

Now THAT is a cool story! I'm guessing you found a new bonding with SVP. Even good friends can find new experiences to draw them closer together. I hope it all turned out well for both of you.

Heh, heh, I do feel a bit sorry for the President as he was probably left scratching his head and wondering what had just happened - and what might be coming next!:)

Back in January 2007, my boss and boss's boss weren't happy about my departure, primarily (I suppose) because my resignation made them look bad. I really didn't give this much thought, because I was moving out-of-state and facing the prospect of no W2 income for the first time in almost 20 years. In short, back then megacorp was 'the past' and 99% of my mental energy was concentrated on 'the future'. Now, in 2021, megacorp is the 'distant past' - practically another lifetime ago. :)

Back in January 2007, my boss and boss's boss weren't happy about my departure, primarily (I suppose) because my resignation made them look bad. I really didn't give this much thought, because I was moving out-of-state and facing the prospect of no W2 income for the first time in almost 20 years. In short, back then megacorp was 'the past' and 99% of my mental energy was concentrated on 'the future'. Now, in 2021, megacorp is the 'distant past' - practically another lifetime ago. :)

15 years gone and I thought so too and then I had one of my rare Megacorp dreams - last night. Who knew?

Care to share? I like to hear what it was like from good to bad.

I actually told my boss in late 2018 that I wanted to call it a career, hang up the pencils. Wasn't expecting it but they substantially raised my comp, so I said, yeah, I think I'll stick around for a few more years. But the ego boost of a comp increase lasted only about three months, and the itch to retire returned as a horrible retirement psoriasis. Then we negotiated a severance package that incentivized me to stick around, working part time, long enough to hire someone for my role and bring them up to speed.

Took far too long to find someone..despite the search being in good faith, just tough to find the right candidate....finally brought someone on board June 2020, and I just retired end of March 2021.

All the negotiations were in good faith, and didn't feel adversarial in any way. Boss was incredibly cool throughout the process, and other than still being tired of the job, was a nice year and a half process of ending a career.

I'm very thankful for how it all worked out.

It actually got .... More interesting.
The company was an American division of an international company, and the head office overseas really didn't understand how the industry in the U.S. worked.
It was a constant challenge. I did my best to mitigate/educate/overcome the cultural challenges including learning the language so I could communicate with the board of directors and head office management, bringing over and mentoring young technical personnel, etc., etc..
When we got the new president who - not realizing I understood the language - said extremely derogatory things about Americans to the non American staff, it was obvious to me that it was time to go..
I had enough, and I'd had enough.

Once the SVP and I resigned, the next day every American manager and the entire American technical staff quit.
Within 48 hours, the company lost over 650 years of experience.

Last edited:
We had a really good guy that was always talking about retirement - his "gold", "silver", or "cardboard box" plan and how close he was to those milestones. Shocker - when COVID crashed the business, he was picked to be let go. So I would recommend people not blab about it until they are ready to give formal notice.

Also in some organizations and in some positions in many organizations (say sales), they may want you out of the building immediately if you give notice, so be sure you are ready to roll when giving notice.

It actually got .... More interesting.
The company was an American division of an international company, and the head office overseas really didn't understand how the industry in the U.S. worked.
It was a constant challenge. I did my best to mitigate/educate/overcome the cultural challenges including learning the language so I could communicate with the board of directors and head office management, bringing over and mentoring young technical personnel, etc., etc..
When we got the new president who - not realizing I understood the language - said extremely derogatory things about Americans to the non American staff, it was obvious to me that it was time to go..
I had enough, and I'd had enough.

Once the SVP and I resigned, the next day every American manager and the entire American technical staff quit.
Within 48 hours, the company lost over 650 years of experience.
Toyota, right?

15 years gone and I thought so too and then I had one of my rare Megacorp dreams - last night. Who knew?

Good to hear someone else still gets w@rk dreams years later. I had them several times a month for a few years. After moving far away to a totally new environment, they have subsided to only a few a year. I interpret this as a very long transition out of the stressful w@rk world

1st Retirement: in that I was retiring from a county director position where I was the only ombudsman for 11 clinics & 1 accute care hospital, I needed to give 6 months notice so they could post / test / hire meaning there wasn't much of a surprise. Did SWOG for a few years as a consultant but it was very VERY PT

Then worked 2 hrs a week as a WW Leader bc I wasn't mentally ready to retire.

Final Retirement: then 20° week for a few months in a 'regular' office. The office was put on furlough and was supposed to return 2/1/2018. Told her 1/31/2018 I couldn't go back. (I was a replacement for someone who did the same thing). Stick a fork in me, I was done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom