What are the oldest clothing items in your closet?

Probably a way to donate it if any interest. YMMV
I looked into it once a few years ago.... There's still a bazillion of them out there.... Maybe in a few hundred years it will worth something or rare enough it will be wanted. I'll keep it for now....

Last edited:
I looked into it once a few years ago.... There's still a bazillion of them out there.... Maybe in a few hundred years it will worth something or rare enough it will be wanted. I'll keep it for now....

Yes, you got to keep that uniform, I would love to have something like that from my father's army days.

I have a leather jacket from about 25 years ago, but will donate it to a thrift shop in the fall. Haven’t worn it for years, but liked it so much years ago that I didn’t get rid of it. Otherwise, as others said, if I haven’t worn it in a year it gets donated.

We lost most of our clothes (and all other belonging and personal effects) in a move in '92, so our clothing dates to then. I have lots of ties from back then, but not much else.

In the office we have my DF's Navy hat and buttons, my grandfather's gas mask and infantry helmet from WW1

In the last year or two reduced my clothes closet by 75%. Most were suits, dress shirts and ties from my working days, and oldest perhaps 35 years old. That was half the closet, then another 25% were from my fat period of those last 10 years of work and marriage where I tried to fix my unhappiness with food. Divorce and retirement let me lose 40 pounds and 6-8 inches from my waist.

Now a couple pairs of skinny jeans, mostly various pull overs and one pair of nice trousers for goin out and I am good! Actually need to go do some clothes shopping but I really hate it!

Though not as old as my college clothes, when I started traveling for Megacorp in the 1980s I began buying NFL replica jerseys for the cities I traveled to. My major criteria was that they *not* have any players name on them. I have a dozen of them from that time. The oldest is a Bears #34 (Walter Payton) from 1981. The cheapest is a Dolphins #13 (Dan Marino) I found at a clearance sale for $10.

Yes, you got to keep that uniform, I would love to have something like that from my father's army days.
Yes, I will keep it. I have some pictures (somewhere) of the coat and will post one if I can find them... I know he was proud of the coat since it shows his silver star commendation. Although he wouldn't really talk much about it. I do have a few other items from his WWII days including some paper money and coins from his time in Europe. I haven't looked through that stuff in years.

Last edited:
I have my great grandmother's high school graduation dress that is from about 1915 or so. I also have the shirt I wore in my senior high school picture in 1987 and it still fits, but the style is sort of loose and not really form-fitting. Anyway, that was a surprise when I tried it on earlier this year.

I have 4 items in the closet that are there for sentimental reasons only so yeh they are old. When we moved we paid per pound to move, which gave me huge incentive to purge. Actually a few years ago when I started working the elections I realized I had to have "nice" clothes for 6 days in a row and ended up buying a few items to fill back up the wardrobe that had gotten super sparse. All the work clothes were mostly donated, all the heels were after my back surgery, without heels most of the fancy dresses also were donated and we don't often do the charity dinners anymore so not a huge need any longer.

It was hard to purge, it took probably 6 times thru to finally do it, but now my closet is full of things that all fit, are super comfortable to wear and are actually still in style.

I have my letter sweater from high school (1976). The guys had letter jackets and the gals had letter sweaters. I have a running rain jacket and pants I bought at Jock & Jill’s at Green Lake in 1977 (the place to run in Seattle in the 70’s!). They still fit and I keep the jacket in my golf bag for chilly days on the course.
I have a black sequined top from my grandmother’s flapper days. It fits, but I have nowhere to wear it 🤣

I have my letter jacket from high school ‘76. Still fits ok, but I didn’t try to button up. ��

Last edited:
I have a black beaded knit evening dress that I actually inherited from my mom. It's now called "vintage". About 1950.

My wedding dress from 29 years ago. We got married in Las Vegas and my dress is a black cocktail dress with colorful sequins. I kept it through the years when, alas, it didn't fit me at all. After losing weight, though, I wore it out for my 25th wedding anniversary. Dress still looks new and style is very simple so looks fine.

I have a pair of LL Bean boots that were my son's when he was 12 years old. He is now 36 and I wear these boots in the snow.

I have 3 pairs of shoes from the late 1960’s. I wear narrow shoes and so does my daughter. When she was in college, she wanted to use them and I only recently got them back. Two are dress high heels and one is a pair of Famalores that I still love. They are flat sandals, not the platform type they made.

I have 3 pairs of shoes from the late 1960’s. I wear narrow shoes and so does my daughter. When she was in college, she wanted to use them and I only recently got them back. Two are dress high heels and one is a pair of Famalores that I still love. They are flat sandals, not the platform type they made.

I'm surprised the leather strapping is still good on the Flamalores after all these years.

I have a t-shirt from when I attended the Defense Language Institute in 1970-71.
The front has the school’s name/seal and the word Русский (the language I studied). The back says “We study Russian so you don’t have to”, a great throwback to the Cold War. I still wear it as a workout shirt and it’s an occasional conversation-starter. I’ve tried to throw it out during periodic closet clean-outs but haven’t been able bring myself to do it.

I have an old pair Army Issue leather oxfords with a leather sole that were issued to me at basic trainin way back in 1977. I had them resoled once and they are still good as new. Granted iInever wore them a whole lot ,but they last longer than those cheap plastic Bates oxfords that they issue today's troops. I have a merino wool suit that I bought back in mid 80's of course I no longer fit into it so it will go to DAV thrift next trip.

todays T shirts are pretty much done for after 3-4 washings.. so cheaply made now days.

I think that's them, but it would be a project to check that nothing else is older, but from oldest to "newest":

DW's Great Grand Mother's quilt, we think she slept under it as a toddler, we recently remodeled and I am not done building the display frame for it

DW's Great Grand Mother's prom purse

My Master's Degree graduation cap (I rented the gown)

DW's Wedding dress

EDIT: I haven't FIRED yet, so maybe I'm not allwoed to post in this forum section yet :)

I think that's them, but it would be a project to check that nothing else is older, but from oldest to "newest":

DW's Great Grand Mother's quilt, we think she slept under it as a toddler, we recently remodeled and I am not done building the display frame for it

DW's Great Grand Mother's prom purse

My Master's Degree graduation cap (I rented the gown)

DW's Wedding dress

EDIT: I haven't FIRED yet, so maybe I'm not allwoed to post in this forum section yet :)

You are very welcome here!

Back
Top Bottom