Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2021, 08:02 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Though not as old as my college clothes, when I started traveling for Megacorp in the 1980s I began buying NFL replica jerseys for the cities I traveled to. My major criteria was that they *not* have any players name on them. I have a dozen of them from that time. The oldest is a Bears #34 (Walter Payton) from 1981. The cheapest is a Dolphins #13 (Dan Marino) I found at a clearance sale for $10.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Yes, you got to keep that uniform, I would love to have something like that from my father's army days.
Yes, I will keep it. I have some pictures (somewhere) of the coat and will post one if I can find them... I know he was proud of the coat since it shows his silver star commendation. Although he wouldn't really talk much about it. I do have a few other items from his WWII days including some paper money and coins from his time in Europe. I haven't looked through that stuff in years.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #83
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have my great grandmother's high school graduation dress that is from about 1915 or so. I also have the shirt I wore in my senior high school picture in 1987 and it still fits, but the style is sort of loose and not really form-fitting. Anyway, that was a surprise when I tried it on earlier this year.
financemups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #84

I have 4 items in the closet that are there for sentimental reasons only so yeh they are old. When we moved we paid per pound to move, which gave me huge incentive to purge. Actually a few years ago when I started working the elections I realized I had to have "nice" clothes for 6 days in a row and ended up buying a few items to fill back up the wardrobe that had gotten super sparse. All the work clothes were mostly donated, all the heels were after my back surgery, without heels most of the fancy dresses also were donated and we don't often do the charity dinners anymore so not a huge need any longer.

It was hard to purge, it took probably 6 times thru to finally do it, but now my closet is full of things that all fit, are super comfortable to wear and are actually still in style.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:29 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have my letter sweater from high school (1976). The guys had letter jackets and the gals had letter sweaters. I have a running rain jacket and pants I bought at Jock & Jillís at Green Lake in 1977 (the place to run in Seattle in the 70ís!). They still fit and I keep the jacket in my golf bag for chilly days on the course.
I have a black sequined top from my grandmotherís flapper days. It fits, but I have nowhere to wear it 🤣
Old 06-13-2021, 02:41 PM   #86
gone traveling

My Grateful Dead tour shirts from the 1980s.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:57 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
My Grateful Dead tour shirts from the 1980s.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:40 PM   #88
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have my letter jacket from high school ‘76. Still fits ok, but I didn’t try to button up. ��
dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:00 PM   #89

I have a black beaded knit evening dress that I actually inherited from my mom. It's now called "vintage". About 1950.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:02 PM   #90

My wedding dress from 29 years ago. We got married in Las Vegas and my dress is a black cocktail dress with colorful sequins. I kept it through the years when, alas, it didn't fit me at all. After losing weight, though, I wore it out for my 25th wedding anniversary. Dress still looks new and style is very simple so looks fine.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:43 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a pair of LL Bean boots that were my son's when he was 12 years old. He is now 36 and I wear these boots in the snow.
becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:30 AM   #92

I have 3 pairs of shoes from the late 1960ís. I wear narrow shoes and so does my daughter. When she was in college, she wanted to use them and I only recently got them back. Two are dress high heels and one is a pair of Famalores that I still love. They are flat sandals, not the platform type they made.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:35 AM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I have 3 pairs of shoes from the late 1960ís. I wear narrow shoes and so does my daughter. When she was in college, she wanted to use them and I only recently got them back. Two are dress high heels and one is a pair of Famalores that I still love. They are flat sandals, not the platform type they made.
I'm surprised the leather strapping is still good on the Flamalores after all these years.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:41 AM   #94

I have a t-shirt from when I attended the Defense Language Institute in 1970-71.
The front has the school’s name/seal and the word Русский (the language I studied). The back says “We study Russian so you don’t have to”, a great throwback to the Cold War. I still wear it as a workout shirt and it’s an occasional conversation-starter. I’ve tried to throw it out during periodic closet clean-outs but haven’t been able bring myself to do it.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:39 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm surprised the leather strapping is still good on the Flamalores after all these years.

They look almost new. They are red, so not worn often.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:50 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Three business suits purchased in 95 just before business went full casual.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an old pair Army Issue leather oxfords with a leather sole that were issued to me at basic trainin way back in 1977. I had them resoled once and they are still good as new. Granted iInever wore them a whole lot ,but they last longer than those cheap plastic Bates oxfords that they issue today's troops. I have a merino wool suit that I bought back in mid 80's of course I no longer fit into it so it will go to DAV thrift next trip.
ERObjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

todays T shirts are pretty much done for after 3-4 washings.. so cheaply made now days.
ERObjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:26 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

I think that's them, but it would be a project to check that nothing else is older, but from oldest to "newest":

DW's Great Grand Mother's quilt, we think she slept under it as a toddler, we recently remodeled and I am not done building the display frame for it

DW's Great Grand Mother's prom purse

My Master's Degree graduation cap (I rented the gown)

DW's Wedding dress

EDIT: I haven't FIRED yet, so maybe I'm not allwoed to post in this forum section yet
BlueberryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:04 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueberryPie View Post
I think that's them, but it would be a project to check that nothing else is older, but from oldest to "newest":

DW's Great Grand Mother's quilt, we think she slept under it as a toddler, we recently remodeled and I am not done building the display frame for it

DW's Great Grand Mother's prom purse

My Master's Degree graduation cap (I rented the gown)

DW's Wedding dress

EDIT: I haven't FIRED yet, so maybe I'm not allwoed to post in this forum section yet
You are very welcome here!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote