What are the oldest clothing items in your closet?

A pair of Dacks dress brogues purchased in early 1980's when I lived in Vancouver, Canada. Still like new. I thought they were expensive at the time. But they were actually inexpensive given that I wore them for years.

They were rebuilt by Dacks at least once. Fit like a glove. Absolute best dress shoes I have ever owned.

Also a pair of 'K' dress shoes purchased in the UK around the same time. Like new.

Last edited:
I think the oldest thing I have is a t-shirt given to us in 1998 commemorating a very rough Atlantic crossing. We had 50 foot seas and 100 mph winds!
When we debarked in Montreal. we were each given one of these.

Attachments

• IMG_20210729_122003.jpg
    IMG_20210729_122003.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 32
I've always thought clothing manufacturers are missing on a great marketing idea by not having a date inside their clothes. I know I have running t-shirts with the commemorative date on the front. After a certain point, like five years, I just retire them.

I know I have running t-shirts with the commemorative date on the front. After a certain point, like five years, I just retire them.

I am starting to run out of running and cycling t-shirts. Maybe in a few more years. I just noticed one that I wore riding yesterday that had a date of 1998. I bet I could find an older one if I looked again. :D

Cheers!

It must be my 1992 Nirvana never mind tour T-shirt I think.

Full-length backless prom dress, with inset bra cups, which my Mom made for me from a Vogue pattern in 1973. It is not as revealing as it may sound, but shows entire shoulders and upper back, which wasn't common in prom dresses back then. Nowadays, the girls practically fall out of their dresses; that is, if the dress isn't so tight they probably have trouble getting out of it.

She was an excellent seamstress, and the dress is not what you'd call 70s-looking. I wore it on several dates. Then, in 2019, I wore it on a cruise ship formal night.

Full-length backless prom dress, with inset bra cups, which my Mom made for me from a Vogue pattern in 1973. It is not as revealing as it may sound, but shows entire shoulders and upper back, which wasn't common in prom dresses back then. Nowadays, the girls practically fall out of their dresses; that is, if the dress isn't so tight they probably have trouble getting out of it.

She was an excellent seamstress, and the dress is not what you'd call 70s-looking. I wore it on several dates. Then, in 2019, I wore it on a cruise ship formal night.

Amethyst, I am impressed you can still wear your prom dress! Not me, my prom dress was a size 7--not so today!

My mom tailored that pattern to me (actually put the pattern pieces on me and altered them to fit). I'm basically the same shape, just gravity-afflicted, :(. The dress is a little loose in places. Still got compliments. Those 70's fabrics wear like iron.

Amethyst, I am impressed you can still wear your prom dress! Not me, my prom dress was a size 7--not so today!

I still fit in my Woodstock 99 t-shirt. I'll bet there's some other things older around though.
Last year i threw away a pair of rubber sandals that I had resewed with fish line 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure I bought them in 1989.

For the first time in years, I recently wore a shirt that I must have gotten in around 1986. Still in great condition. Brought a smile to my face, as the mid to late 1980s were an especially good period in my life.

Last edited:

Post a pic? I might need one like this...

I moved to Thailand. I got rid of everything and left with two suitcases and a few boxes of stuff in my sister’s garage. 5 years later I think the oldest clothing item is a pair of dress shoes I haven’t bothered to discard yet.

Never post photos of self online. You can probably find a vintage pattern online, though. Backless halter neck flared skirt. The pattern would have had a short and long version.

Post a pic? I might need one like this...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom