Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I still have a jeans jacket (back them we called them dungaree jackets) from college. It fits, thought it is tight around the upper arms and shoulders.

I also have basketball shorts I used in college as they had the logo of a favorite sports team. I would not wear them in public these days. If one remembers what 70's basketball shorts were like, you get my drift .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #42

Some dresses my mother made in the 1940's and her wedding dress (which I also wore).

No, I'm not purging them.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:42 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

What are the oldest clothing items in your closet?

Most of my clothes are summer clothes, due to the climate here in New Orleans. They are all pretty new and short sleeved or otherwise skimpy.

But among my winter clothes - - I have a dark forest green, long sleeved men's pocketless t-shirt that I bought in the early 1980's. I really like it for cooler wintry weather; it's comfortable and fits well. But, it's starting to get some little holes in it around the cuffs.

A few years ago I ordered some new ones of the same size and brand (Russell Athletic), but I never wear them because the fit is awful compared with this one. I should probably just throw it out but haven't done so.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:14 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Man! Y'all are some serious hoarders. I thought I was bad because I still had my memorial t-shirt from 1995 when Jerry Garcia died. I think I still have a couple pairs of shoes from when I was w*rking (early 2000s), but that's it. I use it up and get rid of it. I have class A, B, and C t-shirts. The class Cs are for yardwork, camping trips, etc. They don't last long once they get demoted from B (everyday wear). Class A is a good band t-shirt that I haven't dripped any food on yet.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post

I also have basketball shorts I used in college as they had the logo of a favorite sports team. I would not wear them in public these days. If one remembers what 70's basketball shorts were like, you get my drift .
I also had a pair of those, but DW made me dispose of them after she and my daughters were rolling on the floor with laughter, the last time that I wore them.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have sweatshirt from the 88 Rose Bowl.
I had a pair of jeans from the 70s, with patchwork done by a long term girlfriend, she even used some pendleton wool. I mentioned them one too many times and my now wife made them disappeared, I'm still pretty pissed about that. I think I'll go yell at her!
No, they no longer fit.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:30 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

In high school, the term was "battle jackets."

I liked those basketball shorts. Basketball players usually have excellent legs, and I'm a leg woman.

Quote:
I still have a jeans jacket (back them we called them dungaree jackets) from college. .
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

^^^^^^
The Beautiful Princess tells me I have nice legs, but doesn’t approve of my shorts with 6” or less inseams.

Is she selfish or protecting me from embarrassing fashion errors?
Old 06-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

My Dad's Pea Coat from his Navy days in the early 50's. Warm as can be and heavy as all get out.
rt-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt-texas View Post
My Dad's Pea Coat from his Navy days in the early 50's. Warm as can be and heavy as all get out.
Weights usually a sign of quality in most products like clothing for warmth.
I've a late 60s early 70s usa armed forces leather that still works exceptionally well in sub zero weather.
Actual genuine leather is hard to find these days.

Good luck & Best wishes....
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:02 PM   #51

When we remodeled our primary ensuite bathroom we gave up one of two big double door closets to reconfigure in a way that allowed double sinks. At the time we moved some of our clothes to extra room in our sons' bedrooms. It was supposed to be temporary because DH was going to build a small walk in closet in an unused nook of the bedroom. Still waiting on that. We suddenly had 1/2 the primary bedroom closet space - sharing about 8 linear feet of closet.

In the meantime two things happened:
1) both boys complained about parents clothes taking up their closet space... So I reclaimed mine. (DH still has some of his clothes in the boys' rooms. )
2) I read the Art of Tidying Up.... And purged my clothes ruthlessly - while saying thank you for the memories....(if you've read the book, you know of what I speak.)

So now I have about 4 feet of closet - mostly dressier clothes that are rarely worn. My t-shirts, cropped pants/shorts/jeans are in my dresser. (which was also purged). It was hard giving up concert t-shirts from my teens and twenties... but if I hadn't worn them in many years they were eliminated.

Shoes... I think I have to give up my woman-card... I have about 6 pairs of shoes. Plus 3 pairs of slippers. I have black dress pumps, crocs-flip flops, converse sneakers, more supportive walking sneakers, a dressier pair of crocs sandals, and hiking boots. I have big feet so buying pretty shoes was never my thing because they never had my size and I'm a tomboy by nature. I think my husband has more shoes than I do...
Old 06-05-2021, 07:29 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I still have a jeans jacket (back them we called them dungaree jackets) from college. It fits, thought it is tight around the upper arms and shoulders.

DW has both hall closets, her half of the bedroom closet and half of mine. Most of my stuff is old and sacred (you know, hole-y).

I still have the old fatigue jacket I bought at the local Army surplus store around 1960 (it's what we played "war" in.) Based on the insignias I'm guessing it dates to Korea. Heh, heh, it doesn't fit around the upper arms and shoulders either. Full, disclosure, it also doesn't fit around the middle.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:37 PM   #53

I don't understand this talk of sharing the bedroom closet. Does. Not. Compute.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:42 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
I don't understand this talk of sharing the bedroom closet. Does. Not. Compute.
+1 I don't even share my house, much less my bedroom closet! He lives next door and has his own closets, and for us this is ideal. Others' Mileage May Vary.

I have three double door closets in my bedroom. One is for my (usual) summer clothes, one for a small number of winter clothes, and one for extra t-shirts, blankets, and anything else.

One of the nicest things about my Dream House is that the prior owners saw nothing wrong with devoting plenty of square footage to closets and cabinets.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:52 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1 I don't even share my house, much less my bedroom closet! He lives next door and has his own closets, and for us this is ideal. Others' Mileage May Vary.

I have three double door closets in my bedroom. One is for my (usual) summer clothes, one for a small number of winter clothes, and one for extra t-shirts, blankets, and anything else.

One of the nicest things about my Dream House is that the prior owners saw nothing wrong with devoting plenty of square footage to closets and cabinets.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:09 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Wow! Lots of old stuff still in some closets!

Wedding dress and Army jacket going back to the 1940's and other old dresses, jackets, sporting wear from high school. And several people purging old clothes. Well, here's my old Yale sweatshirt circa 1972 or so:

Yale Sweatshirt.jpg

DW has threatened to throw it out as it's a size too small for me and the sleeve ends have frayed. But it is staying. Maybe I'll be buried in it (LOL).
Old 06-05-2021, 08:20 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Wow! Lots of old stuff still in some closets!

Wedding dress and Army jacket going back to the 1940's and other old dresses, jackets, sporting wear from high school. And several people purging old clothes. Well, here's my old Yale sweatshirt circa 1972 or so:

Attachment 39166

DW has threatened to throw it out as it's a size too small for me and the sleeve ends have frayed. But it is staying. Maybe I'll be buried in it (LOL).
Unfortunately, DH has been unable to find some of his extremely ugly old clothes. Shame bout' that. As I recall, my DF had the same problem . . .
Old 06-05-2021, 08:24 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Unfortunately, DH has been unable to find some of his extremely ugly old clothes. Shame bout' that. As I recall, my DF had the same problem . . .
My DW went to that school too. But she did not graduate at or near the top of her class.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:30 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My DW went to that school too. But she did not graduate at or near the top of her class.
My education started very young. I had to have been about six years old, when I saw the fate of DF's T-shirts (which were full of holes BTW).
Old 06-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My education started very young. I had to have been about six years old, when I saw the fate of DF's T-shirts (which were full of holes BTW).
LOL! Slick!