What are the oldest clothing items in your closet?

When we remodeled our primary ensuite bathroom we gave up one of two big double door closets to reconfigure in a way that allowed double sinks. At the time we moved some of our clothes to extra room in our sons' bedrooms. It was supposed to be temporary because DH was going to build a small walk in closet in an unused nook of the bedroom. Still waiting on that. We suddenly had 1/2 the primary bedroom closet space - sharing about 8 linear feet of closet.

In the meantime two things happened:
1) both boys complained about parents clothes taking up their closet space... So I reclaimed mine. (DH still has some of his clothes in the boys' rooms. )
2) I read the Art of Tidying Up.... And purged my clothes ruthlessly - while saying thank you for the memories....(if you've read the book, you know of what I speak.)

So now I have about 4 feet of closet - mostly dressier clothes that are rarely worn. My t-shirts, cropped pants/shorts/jeans are in my dresser. (which was also purged). It was hard giving up concert t-shirts from my teens and twenties... but if I hadn't worn them in many years they were eliminated.

Shoes... I think I have to give up my woman-card... I have about 6 pairs of shoes. Plus 3 pairs of slippers. I have black dress pumps, crocs-flip flops, converse sneakers, more supportive walking sneakers, a dressier pair of crocs sandals, and hiking boots. I have big feet so buying pretty shoes was never my thing because they never had my size and I'm a tomboy by nature. I think my husband has more shoes than I do...

I still have a jeans jacket (back them we called them dungaree jackets) from college. It fits, thought it is tight around the upper arms and shoulders.

I also have basketball shorts I used in college as they had the logo of a favorite sports team. I would not wear them in public these days. If one remembers what 70's basketball shorts were like, you get my drift :).

DW has both hall closets, her half of the bedroom closet and half of mine. Most of my stuff is old and sacred (you know, hole-y).

I still have the old fatigue jacket I bought at the local Army surplus store around 1960 (it's what we played "war" in.) Based on the insignias I'm guessing it dates to Korea. Heh, heh, it doesn't fit around the upper arms and shoulders either. Full, disclosure, it also doesn't fit around the middle.:angel:

I don't understand this talk of sharing the bedroom closet. Does. Not. Compute.

+1 I don't even share my house, much less my bedroom closet! :ROFLMAO: He lives next door and has his own closets, and for us this is ideal. :D Others' Mileage May Vary.

I have three double door closets in my bedroom. One is for my (usual) summer clothes, one for a small number of winter clothes, and one for extra t-shirts, blankets, and anything else.

One of the nicest things about my Dream House is that the prior owners saw nothing wrong with devoting plenty of square footage to closets and cabinets.

+1 I don't even share my house, much less my bedroom closet! :ROFLMAO: He lives next door and has his own closets, and for us this is ideal. :D Others' Mileage May Vary.

I have three double door closets in my bedroom. One is for my (usual) summer clothes, one for a small number of winter clothes, and one for extra t-shirts, blankets, and anything else.

One of the nicest things about my Dream House is that the prior owners saw nothing wrong with devoting plenty of square footage to closets and cabinets.

:bow:

Wow! Lots of old stuff still in some closets!

Wedding dress and Army jacket going back to the 1940's and other old dresses, jackets, sporting wear from high school. And several people purging old clothes. Well, here's my old Yale sweatshirt circa 1972 or so:

Yale Sweatshirt.jpg

DW has threatened to throw it out as it's a size too small for me and the sleeve ends have frayed. But it is staying. Maybe I'll be buried in it (LOL).

Wow! Lots of old stuff still in some closets!

Wedding dress and Army jacket going back to the 1940's and other old dresses, jackets, sporting wear from high school. And several people purging old clothes. Well, here's my old Yale sweatshirt circa 1972 or so:

View attachment 39166

DW has threatened to throw it out as it's a size too small for me and the sleeve ends have frayed. But it is staying. Maybe I'll be buried in it (LOL).

Unfortunately, DH has been unable to find some of his extremely ugly old clothes. Shame bout' that. As I recall, my DF had the same problem . . .

Unfortunately, DH has been unable to find some of his extremely ugly old clothes. Shame bout' that. As I recall, my DF had the same problem . . .

My DW went to that school too. But she did not graduate at or near the top of her class. :LOL:

My DW went to that school too. But she did not graduate at or near the top of her class. :LOL:

My education started very young. I had to have been about six years old, when I saw the fate of DF's T-shirts (which were full of holes BTW). :LOL:

Last edited:
Me either. Once upon a time we shared a closet and DH was constantly harping about how many shoes I have. I am not Imelda Marcos, but I'm not a guy either. Anyway when we designed the latest house, I insisted on separate closets. Now I only occasionally hear something like "Are those shoes new?". Me- "Of course not. Had 'em for years" [emoji1787]

I purge regularly- the oldest thing in my closet is a pair of hiking boots I bought when I was in my 20s, but they were good quality and I still occasionally wear them.

I still have a couple shirts I bought at the Union Gospel Mission thrift store two decades ago. The only suit in my closet is older than that, can't remember exactly how old it is.

Fortunately, since I dropped 25 pounds after retiring, the suit is nowhere close to being too tight.

I still have a couple suits that I had as a late teen (had to let the waist out in the pants an inch). Hardly ever wear them.

Oldest clothing items I have is a paper silk shirt and a leather jacket I bought in 1997, 24 years. I still use the leather jacket when I play wrench monkey. The shirt is also worn on some special occasions.

I still have my high school letterman jacket from 1980 hanging in the closet. Has all my high school letters and sports sown on. Just can’t get rid of that piece of my history.

1993 Holy Cow Brewery Vegas Tshirt

Like New Holy Cow Tshirt from Vegas Brewery before they were everywhere. Put it on last week, went to the bar, got scared that I might spill on it, went home and hid it.

Cotton bathrobe.

Gift from 38 years ago. Still use it in the warm weather.

Dress broques from 38-39 years ago. Have not worn them since retiring 10 years or so again.

Shearling lined winter boots 42 years old. Still wear them in the snowy weather.

I throw out everything I don't wear after a year. I own very few clothes.

But back to the OP's question: my "WINNER" brand hiking shoes I bought in Sears for $35, 25 years ago. I kid you not! I hiked up Mt. Mansfield in Vermont with them 23 years ago. Still wearing them on my hikes. They are intact, with just a little wear on the inside back ankle area, and the suede is worn looking, but no holes or separations. Solid and I refuse to give them up!

I throw out everything I don't wear after a year. I own very few clothes.

But back to the OP's question: my "WINNER" brand hiking shoes I bought in Sears for $35, 25 years ago. I kid you not! I hiked up Mt. Mansfield in Vermont with them 23 years ago. Still wearing them on my hikes. They are intact, with just a little wear on the inside back ankle area, and the suede is worn looking, but no holes or separations. Solid and I refuse to give them up!

Nice on the hiking boots...sort of like my old work boots from my days in manufacturing that lasted me decades.

On throwing out clothes you don't wear after a year, that's not been mentioned in this thread if I recall. :cool:

I probably have some tees that are 20 + years old, but I do try to clear out every 3-4 years.

Recently went through things. Oh, these are saved for camping. Well, we normally camp in summertime, I don't think I need 4 pairs of camping jeans. Out they went.

BTW, I still have 2 pair of camping jeans.:facepalm:

Not me, but after my dad passed away a few years ago, I was cleaning out his closets and found his WWII army dress uniform hanging there.... Still in prefect condition... I'm pretty sure that was the oldest item in his closet.... Somewhere between 77 and 80 years old now.

Last edited:
Not me, but after my dad passed away a few years ago, I was cleaning out his closets and found his WWII army dress uniform hanging there.... Still in prefect condition... I'm pretty sure that was the oldest item in his closet.... Somewhere between 77 and 80 years old now.

Probably a way to donate it if any interest. YMMV

A fraternity sweatshirt that I wore in college (early 80s) and a Burberry trenchcoat bought in the 80s when a local department store shut down (40% off).

By the time i got to the department store, the Burberry coats were sold out -- except for one on the mannequin. I asked the size of the one on the dummy and it was my exact size (40L). Destiny....

Back
Top Bottom