Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Going to AZ for a couple of weeks in January with DH, sister and b-in-law. Going on an Alaskan trip and cruise for 11 days in August with a friend. We normally go to NC approximately every month to see our daughter's family for a week. I am looking forward to bringing our 2 granddaughters to WV for a week or two in the summer and doing kid activities. I am sure that my DH and I will plan some trips for us too.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Hollywood, here I come!
Old 11-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #22

Hollywood, here I come!

For 2017 I anticipate publishing my first novel. It's certain to sweep the Pulitzers... all of them!

It's already written, but there is as much work between THE END and seeing the book on the shelves as there was between Once upon a time and Happily ever after.

However, 2017 will be my Year of Destiny! First, the book deal. Then comes the bestseller list. Then the movie contract. Then the red carpet. Then the hot tub full of Kardashians. Then the remorse and the head-to-toe bleaching...

...or maybe just publish the book and savor the moment.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #23

Shift boat lifts in the dock, getting a new one for jet ski and kayak
Buy the kayak of my dreams, refurbish DW's sailboat

DD receives her graduate degree
Italy for a couple of weeks to see her perform(?)

Lake house is paid off in July
30th anniversary (note to self....)

New battery for the defibrillator (well, maybe not till the next year if I'm lucky)
But mainly, just enjoy.

What's that quote? oh yeah,
"The primary objective is to laugh"
Old 11-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

2017 will be my first full year on Medicare and receiving Social Security retirement payments. My healthcare insurance costs will be less than one third what they were this year.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Taking an Alaska cruise in June, one more item off our bucket list.
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
2017 will be the first full year DW will be joining me in retirement. We'll be taking a 2-week Celebrity cruise to Northern Europe including St. Petersburg , Copenhagen, Helsinki, Stockholm and others stops, with a few extra days in London to top it off. 2017 will also be out first official "snowbird" year, living half the year in FL and half in PA. We'll also be adjusting to spending with no paychecks at all on the horizon. It should be an exciting and interesting year!
What's coming your way in 2017?

Edit: OMG!! How could I forget. We'll also be grandparents in April with a grandson on the way!
Congrats on the impending grandson!

We're also planning a trip to Scandinavia for our 30th anniversary. We're eying HAL's "Voyage of the Vikings" cruise, but also considering using Rick Steves itineraries as a starting point for doing it on our own. I'm looking forward to spending January getting all the details worked out.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #27

The end (temporarily) of presidential election season.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Congrats on the impending grandson!

Thanks!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:55 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
The end (temporarily) of presidential election season.
The way this has been going, the next presidential election campaign should start around March 2017.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:38 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retiring in September 2017!

Hope that my brother's oil stocks rebound some and he sells his home in Houston so he can move to a cheaper place. I'm getting tired of helping support him.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:20 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

2017 is my year and I have 6 trips planned - Caribbean, Yosemite, Quebec, Myrtle Beach, and the Utah National Parks. Also, no one will be able to say like this year - We need you in Tulsa over holiday vacation.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:42 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Sold my firm and first day of retirement is January 1, 2017. I am 56 and DW is 53. Oldest graduating college (with a good job) and youngest is a sophomore in college. We are off.....

Have planned four vacations, Europe, Caribbean, South Beach and across the US. We are also planning on buying an Airstream (an International Signature 25 FB for those familiar) and doing a number of US trips. Except for business trips, have not spent much time west of the Mississippi and hope to change all of that. I hope to visit the homes of all the presidents (not in one trip) to the extent they exist. Will be a big adjustment for my wife and I. I have never had more than 5 business days off in a row. It was very different planning vacations when "I did not need to get back". This certainly will be a work in progress. 2017 will be a very interesting year for us.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:08 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

2017?

Make another hole in one. Had a few near misses this year.

Spend a week in Burlington VT visiting my nephew and his wife who are doing their residencies there and maybe play some golf with a forum member.

I'd also like to visit my SIL in Zambia but that would take too much time away from w*rk.

Need to lose this beer belly too.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:12 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
Sold my firm and first day of retirement is January 1, 2017. I am 56 and DW is 53. Oldest graduating college (with a good job) and youngest is a sophomore in college. We are off.....

Have planned four vacations, Europe, Caribbean, South Beach and across the US. We are also planning on buying an Airstream (an International Signature 25 FB for those familiar) and doing a number of US trips. Except for business trips, have not spent much time west of the Mississippi and hope to change all of that. I hope to visit the homes of all the presidents (not in one trip) to the extent they exist. Will be a big adjustment for my wife and I. I have never had more than 5 business days off in a row. It was very different planning vacations when "I did not need to get back". This certainly will be a work in progress. 2017 will be a very interesting year for us.
sounds like a blast. same here, even when I'm away for a week I still have to w*rk...
Old 11-14-2016, 06:15 AM   #35

NEW KNEE!!!
Lol, this year was a bit depressing because I was pretty much in constant pain from a bum left knee. having knee surgery Dec 5th and January 1st will be right around the 4 week mark.

So I'm looking forward to resuming walking around Center city/old City Philadelphia.

trip wise, we have our annual family vacation to Disneyworld. what can I say, we love the mouse and I've got my "all girl" trip to Vegas.

I also want to go to Gettysburgh national park. irritates me that I live so close and have never been.

Continue my quest to get Hamilton tickets.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:10 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
NEW KNEE!!!

Lol, this year was a bit depressing because I was pretty much in constant pain from a bum left knee. having knee surgery Dec 5th and January 1st will be right around the 4 week mark.

So I'm looking forward to resuming walking around Center city/old City Philadelphia.

trip wise, we have our annual family vacation to Disneyworld. what can I say, we love the mouse and I've got my "all girl" trip to Vegas.

I also want to go to Gettysburgh national park. irritates me that I live so close and have never been.

Continue my quest to get Hamilton tickets.

Watch the movie Gettysburg before you go to the park. It does help you understand how the battle unfolded on the tour.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
RAGBRAI?

In January we're headed off to visit our former foreign exchange student in Italy who had her first baby. If our kids won't have grandkids for us then we will live vicariously through others!
Yes ragbrai. Lining up an rv to haul 4 of us and a golden retriever. Each of us will take half day turns driving the rv while the other 3 ride. Can't wait
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Youngest sons (Twins) graduate HS and enter college so we empty our nest. Sell our big home and start snowbirding in Southern Utah in the fall. Big travel is probably 2018 as it will take a bit of time to get settled in Utah and kids @ school. SOOOO EXCITED!
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

We are taking a transatlantic to Spain and then spending five days touring . I am also taking my grandsons to Disney World .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

First full year in retirement for both of us (DH RE in June, I am next week!)
Planning trip to San Antonio with friends, starting the plans for visiting several National Parks . DD wedding and continuing babysitting grandson when DDIL works. DS just finished second grad school program, so will hopefully find employment he enjoys.
No moves in our future, all family is within 20 minutes of each other; wouldn't have it any other way.