What are your browser folders titled?

stepford

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OK, here's my entry in the most banal - "you must have too much time on your hands" - ER topic ever:

In your favorite internet browser, what have you titled the folders in your Bookmarks/Favorites toolbar? Just looking at mine I realize that this says a surprising amount about who we are and what we care about.

I'll start. Mine are: Flying, Biking, Tools, Cameras, Automotive, Travel, Nature, Money, News, Weather, Media and Commerce.

The first 7 are all hobbies and contain forums and informational sites I read for fun (Nature is a pretty broad catch-all including sites related to birding, wildflowers, reptiles and astronomy).

Money, News and Weather are self-explanatory (though I have the ER forum in Money for some reason).

Media is my various streaming services and watchlists, and Commerce is where I put the various Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon and other E-commerce sites I frequent.

Put all those thing together and you have a pretty thorough synopsis of my life and interests these days. How about you?

Let’s see...

Astronomy, beer, cats, FIRE, food, genealogy, medical, money, news, real estate, shopping, and weather.

Hobbies, finances, practical stuff, and trying to find a new house. Looking at them just now I should probably clean some of them out, now that I’m retired and some I just don’t use and are likely full of dead links.

Oddly, I stopped saving bookmarks years ago (back when they were still called bookmarks!)

I just don't return to that many sites very often. Those few I do visit often, I just type the first few letters (earl...) and the browser fills in the rest. I do have a "home" page where I've put a bunch of links to things I commonly use. But even so, I probably don't use any of them 90% of the time.

Oddly, I stopped saving bookmarks years ago (back when they were still called bookmarks!)

I just don't return to that many sites very often. Those few I do visit often, I just type the first few letters (earl...) and the browser fills in the rest. I do have a "home" page where I've put a bunch of links to things I commonly use. But even so, I probably don't use any of them 90% of the time.

Same with me.

We have 'stuff', 'other stuff' and 'different stuff'.

Retirement Planning
Retirement Plan Models
Tax Planning
Health Insurance
Social Security
Investing
Movies
Vendors
Hockey
Recipes
Golf

Bridge, Financial, Geneology, Health, Politics News, Travel, Sports

Wait, you can make folders? No wonder I can't find a darned thing. :facepalm:

I don't have specific folder for bookmarked websites. However, I recently assigned a number to each website to keep them in sequential order because more frequently the links were somehow getting scrambled into alphabetical order and it was becoming a growing PITA to put them back into my preferred order and groupings.

The numbering sequence I created includes several groups of websites. They are:

100s - research items such as Google, maps, Wikipedia, YouTube, local library system

200s - banking, investments

300s - sports (Strat-o-matic and retrosheet)

400s - early retirement and investment message boards and blogs such as this one and bogleheads

500s - news websites

600s - websites for childfree people, as I am one

700s - TV shows I like such as law & order/SVU

800s - junk phone call websites such as 800notes and nomorobo

900s - Then I have some more websites which don't fall into any category.

I just save bookmarks and don't bother making folders. The ones I use alot I put in my toolbar so they are handy.

I’m impressed by how many of you are making folders. I use aja8888’s approach, but then I forget they are there and can’t find some of them later.

Financial, Remodel, and a bunch of travel destinations

I couldn't function without bookmark folders. I use the "bookmark bar" in Chrome, which keeps everything nicely organized, accessible, and synced across my devices. But I also use an extension called "Home - New Tab Page", which has 20 icons/links that I use much more frequently for sites I visit every day.

Anyway, my bookmark folders are: Search, Social, Fitness, Travel, Weather, News, Video, Forums, Shopping, Stocks, Financial, Real Estate, Cars, Computers, Music, Woodworking.

I have 18 folders, many with subfolders. I don't really use all of them. Browsing through some is a nostalgic trip to the past. Others cover more recent interests and I use them more frequently.

No, I'm not listing all of them here! Too much like w*rk. :LOL:

Backend Software
Blogs
Europe/World
Real Estate
Political
Fora
Business
Coding Fun
Denver
Finance
House
Magazines
Apple
Tech
España
Photography
Search Engines
Shopping
Travel

There are some of the default folders, which I don't use. The only additional folder is labeled 'Arizona'. We are looking to begin snow-birding this winter, and are gathering information on RV Resorts, park model communities, places to go off-roading, and so forth. Most likely in the Phoenix area, but possibly Parker or Lake Havasu City.I should probably start a thread to see if anyone has knowledge of those areas.

but possibly Parker or Lake Havasu City.

Been a while since I fulltime RV'd, but when in Parker we always made time to stay at Buckskin Mountain State Park:

Give this three minutes of your time, and go thru four steps to open up a whole new world.

1. Go to Kadaza.com.

2. On the left column next to the main part of the screen, go to the bottom and click "more".

3. When the alphabetized page comes up, click on the subject that interests you...

4. For an overview, try a few subjects, like biking, fishing, phone directories or (forbid :facepalm: jobs) to get an idea of what is available.

I've submitted ER as an option for the "Retirement" page. It's easy to add your own favorites to the main page under the subject matter that interests you.

For those who enjoy exploring new vistas, this is a great starting place.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom