What are your Hobbies?

ksr

Full time employment: Posting here.
Several years ago I read somewhere that many people expect to take up new hobbies when they retire. The majority of them find that they don't end up starting new hobbies, but spend more time pursuing their existing hobbies. So I'm wondering what hobbies some of you enjoy, and if you are retired, which if them are new since retirement?

Mine are:

- Gardening
- Knitting
- Reading
- Baking
- Minor home improvement projects

And none of them are new since I left full-time employment.

All of the above except baking, and plus genealogy. I am not yet retired. I may also resume a hobby after retirement that has been on hold for many years, breeding pedigreed cats. Even if I don't take up breeding again, I think I will buy a cat and show in Premiership (spayed/neutered cats) or Household Pets (non-pedigreed).

My plans for today include old and new interests. I'll start with a leisurely bath (I dreamed of that in retirement), do some geocaching (new hobby) near the Flower Mart (slightly oldish interest), maybe stop at the bath shop because Maurice's challenge has inspired me to re-do the bathroom, decorating is an old interest. Yesterday, I was looking for the perfect angle to photograph a geocache site at the wharf when a couple demanded I photograph them, wait, wait, the cable car is leaving, got my shot, it was a training car and the job was sloppy and funny at the turnaround. Camera angles are an increased passion since retirement. The couple turned out to be from Hungary, and I blurted out that I received a postcard from Budapest just yesterday, we were all smiles. I learned about Postcrossing from a geocaching forum, it is considered a cross-over hobby, too soon to say much about it, but I'm already communicating with people from all over the world, much different from forum chat, you could say it brings up an old pen pal hobby which was foisted on me by my French teacher.

Biking
Gardening
Golf
Classical mandolin...with blues added
Beer drinking....
Chocolate....with nuts, and generally slobbing about.....

I had a list of about two dozen hobbies and activities that I wanted to take up in retirement. So far, I have not done any of them! I am much too busy just happily enjoying every day, doing the same types of things that I did on Saturdays when I was w*rking.

One of the great revelations that came to me when I retired, is that it is perfectly OK to spend time doing nothing constructive if that is what I want to do. This is my life, after all.

I kept the list, though, just in case..... :D

So far

It is interesting how hobby/interests in retirement do not always reflect expectations. For many years I read two or three books a month, both during my lunch hour and at home in the evenings. Once retired I expected to do much more reading but find I pick up a book only occasionally. I suppose I was reading as an escape from work and now I no longer have the need to go somewhere else.

Still working. Lots of hobbies, some of which are done on an as needed basis. As opposed to an ongoing hobby:
Barbeque (Ongoing)
Brew beer (Ongoing AND as needed)
Volunteer with Boy Scouts (Ongoing)
Volunteer with local homeless shelter (Ongoing)
Chase after two young children (Ongoing)
Fix up old car (76 Monte I've had since 1984) (As needed)
Read (Ongoing)
Build home electronics (I've made amplifiers, pre-amps, speakers, and re-wired a 1910 phone to work on modern phone line) (As needed)
Minor home repair (As needed)
Refinishing furniture (As needed)

Damn......I forgot one. Since we are moving to the Spokane area, there could be a very serious deprivation of good good good Indian food. CURRY. So learning to make a decent (for me hotter than hell) balanced (Goan Red Curry locally) is vital.

Gardening has always been my number one hobby. I was really into it when I worked. Now I sold my house and I have no garden. I am homesick for one. This summer I will do a vegetable garden with my cousin at the family farm, but it isn't the same as my flower garden that had 1000s of perennials.
yellowstoneteddyrooseSept06%20427.jpg

I like to bead too. My latest thing is taking a dremel and drilling holes in rocks I collect along lake superior and then I turn them into pendants. All my friends and female relatives have some!

310866521-medium.jpg

I like traveling around in the rv and on my scooter.

floridaapril%202007%20043.jpg

I like hiking and biking. I read a lot, though not as much as I used to.

I also like sitting on my ass cruising the net.

I don't miss my snow removal hobby:

march07%20009.jpg

Last edited:
The only difference between when I was working and now is how busy I am. I still read a lot, I still need a fair amount of time to folllow my active investing style, I still walk a lot every day, I still exercise, I still dance, I still go to hear music.

But I rarely allow myself to get rushed. Also, some "hobbies" that were pretty much necessary in my earlier life no longer are necessary or even possible. Woodworking, auto mechanics, extensive gardening and yard work to name a few.

Ha

Reading, listening to audiobooks, playing the guitar, watching films, short walks, surfing the net (mostly health issues that worry me but I do nothing about them:blush:).....and this Forum. Escept for reading, the rest I´ve taken them up since retirement.
And a lot of mind-wandering:). None of my hobbies are useful/ practical:blush: nor intellectual:blush:.

Ahhhh Martha....my aunt used to work in the office of the Vikings.....I can remember going out there from WA to visit twice. Once during the summer to watch the Twins and Yankees play (my brothers seemed to like the Yankees for some reason). The other was when the nostril hair froze as soooooooon as I got out of the car. MY KIND OF PLACE,

Besides my volunteer stuff, gardening and sketching, I'm also fine tuning the art of patio, glider and recliner sittin'. I'm getting pretty good at those.

Every once in a while I'll go to a club and dance the night away.

Still employed - my favorite hobby is practicing ER in small doses (weekends & vacations)

Lots of others too: reading, softball, volleyball, camping, kayaking, frugalling, festivals, cooking, baking, sewing, now gardening...

No new hobbies in retirement but more time for the old ones- woodworking, wood turning, reading, astronomy, radio control airplanes and cooking.

I still work full time, but I enjoy reading, gardening(on a small scale these days), movies, theater, music, museums, cooking, dining out with friends,wines, cycling, travel,walking the dog, yoga, antique shopping, learning more about finances...
Oh, and yeah, I also enjoy my downtime of doing absolutely nothing more frequently than I would like to admit.

Vegetable gardening.
Cooking / baking.
Woodworking.
Flight simulation.
Airplanes, airlines, airports or anything that has to do with commercial aviation.
Watching movies.
History: antiquity and the late 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries.
Geography: I love to spend hours exploring the world in Google Earth.
Singing, playing the flute.
Photography.
Tech stuff.

Gardening
Chickens
Coin collecting
Surf Net
Woodworking
Less reading than I used to

Mine drift over the years. Decades ago Scuba was key, but now I do that about once every five years. From the late 80s thru a few years ago windsurfing, skiing, and roller hockey were my favorite activities. I rarely do any of them now.

My current major interest is biking. I hope that lasts until I drop

Perennial interests are reading, cooking, drawing, photography and computer related stuff. I think those will continue no matter what.

The normal stuff:

reading
flower gardening (very few veggies)
playing with my dog
eating good and different kinds of food (I don't like to cook tho)
travel (some)
movies
t.v.
internet

What I'd like to do if I could motivate myself a little more:

exercise (yoga, weights)
train travel

I bought a small weaving loom before I retired, thinking that would be a good hobby. But, after taking one class in weaving I decided that required too much brain power for me. I just don't get along with yarn in any form except I like purchasing already made sweaters. :D

No where close to retirement, but I am sure this list won't change much.

Frugalling
Surfing the net
Video/PC gaming
Anime
Reading
Tea drinking
Cooking
Basic exercise of some sort
PC/electronics upgrading and repairing
Minor home repair

Um...um...:blush:

Mainstays are gardening, cooking ethnic foods, reading, techno-babbling, learning by reading the links posted here and researching further. I definitely need to get some new hobbies in the mix.
Traveling solo is my latest venture. :D

Bass fishing and overseas travel. The same two things that have haunted me since I was a teenager.

Back
Top Bottom