What are your hobbies on FIRE?

Birchwood

Recycles dryer sheets
Certainly, you have to spend your time on something interesting than the normal maintenance of life.

For me,
-I like digital photography, mainly nature, macro and street scenes.

-I like to shoot target pistols.

-I like to exercise, cardio and weights

-I like to take walks, hikes

-I like to read about financial matters and investments.

Certainly, you have to spend your time on something interesting than the normal maintenance of life.

For me,
-I like digital photography, mainly nature, macro and street scenes.

-I like to shoot target pistols.

-I like to exercise, cardio and weights

-I like to take walks, hikes

-I like to read about financial matters and investments.

You missed out travel :D (according to your profile).

My hobbies include the last 3 on your list plus travel and reading. I'm trying to cut down on reading financial stuff, and get onto full auto now that we are retired.

For me (in no particular order):

Model Railroading
Gardening
Digital Photography
Family Genealogy (esp. pertaining to my Cherokee ancestry)
Cherokee History & Language
Cooking & Grilling.....and Eating!
Travel
Bluegrass Music (listening, not playing)
Classic Country/Western Music (listening, not playing)
Reading
Learning about Homesteading & 'Oldtime' ways of doing and making stuff
Union Activities and Politics

As for learning the Cherokee language, I have the important basics down-pat!

"Osoyo! Ga-du a-le a-su-s-di a-le ka-wi a-wa-du-li. Wa do!"
"Hello! I want some biscuits and gravy and coffee. Thank you!" :D

Haven't we had this thread before, quite recently, or one like it? Aaah well, this is always fun. My hobbies are:

Ham Radio (operating as well as building gear and blogging about it)
Photography
Reading as much as I can about the RV lifestyle
Committing my CD collection to hard drive (10,000 CD's)
The occasional bit of voice-over and audio production for my friend's radio show

Other than that, it's surprising how little it takes to fill a day. Now that I don't work, I am learning the art of inefficiency which I guess you could also call "gently pottering around".

Oh, and as daft as it sounds, spending quality time with my kitty ranks high up there on my list of favorite things to do. Yes, I live on my own :LOL:

Last edited:
This was something that I was a little worried about before I retired. I was so focused on work that I had no REAL hobbies, or at least none that fit into the normal categories. So how could I ever have a happy retirement, and not become bored to death (as my co-workers predicted). I don't collect things, either, and I don't know many people.

Much to my relief and surprise, in retirement I have more interesting things to do than time. I am not at all bored.

This week I read, knitted, played video games, went to the gym, watched American Idol, explored the internet, shopped, and spent time with my sweetie. None of those sound like a real hobby, though.

This week I read, knitted, played video games, went to the gym, watched American Idol, explored the internet, shopped, and spent time with my sweetie. None of those sound like a real hobby, though.
I don't think it matters whether they sound like a hobby or not, as long as you have things to do that you enjoy doing.

My plan for tomorrow morning (today actually) is to spend a couple of hours at the local farmers market picking up some fresh produce for the week's cooking. No doubt I'll have some fun conversations and generally enjoy the atmosphere. It could be hardly be classified as a hobby, but I'm looking forward to it.

Golf, walking/hiking with the mutt and eventually some traveling. Can't wander off too far due to my mother's age and health.

I have until the end of the month before I am out. My friends (golf) all tell me I will get bored yet most do not even know what all I do other than golf. I just want to get up in the morning and have a cup of coffee outside on the patio with my wife and watch the birds and:):):):):):):).

I enjoy the following:

Cycling - Now I have time to disappear for an entire day without feeling like I shoudl be doing something else.

Bird Watching - I sit on the back porch in the tree tops watching the seasonal migrations.

Cooking - DW and I are exploring new recipes, and preparing them together. This is usually an all afternoon affair.

W2R said:
This was something that I was a little worried about before I retired. I was so focused on work that I had no REAL hobbies, or at least none that fit into the normal categories. So how could I ever have a happy retirement, and not become bored to death (as my co-workers predicted). I don't collect things, either, and I don't know many people.

Much to my relief and surprise, in retirement I have more interesting things to do than time. I am not at all bored.

I am kind of like you, W2R ( not the knitting though :)). I just do a lot of things, but dont consider myself having a lot of hobbies. Whatever it is I do, on any given day, the time always passes quick.

You do?

No "hobbies" before retirement.
No "hobbies" after retirement.

I do things in retirement that I did not have time to do while wor*ing, but I don't consider them hobbies.

Let's just say that they were "delayed tasks" that I can now do without concern of time/money, and most of them are concerned with "the normal maintenance of life"...

Last edited:
I have a bit of an attention span problem:

fly fishing
writing
play guitar
astronomy
astrophotography
time lapse photography
regular photography
My Jeep
bird watching
cigars

I go through fits and starts on most of these. I was going nuts working on my Jeep and doing all the astronomy and photog stuff last summer. Now I'm writing like crazy. Depends on my mood.

Lots of volunteering as a medical provider in the US and in third world countries.

It is likely I continue to w*rk part time, possibly a few days a month only.

Travel for leisure, once in while.

Reading / movies / visits with friends etc.

Before I retired and in the first year of retirement, it seemed important that I have a list of hobbies. Now that I am in my second year, I find myself enjoying a lot of things I routinely do and I guess every activity which fills my hours and give me joy becomes my hobbies - these even include planning for meals, marketing and cooking. People still ask me what I do all the day and I just tell them that I am busy enjoying myself.

I'm trying to cut down on reading financial stuff, and get onto full auto now that we are retired.

I'm interested in this comment. I take that to mean less time watching, reading, studying, calculating, etc. financial issues and move toward "full auto" investing so you can focus on life rather than accumulating wealth, etc. If that was the point, that is something I need to work on. It's a tough habit to break, though. I need to focus more on the hobbies and things I enjoy (as the OP suggests.)

Skiing, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, walking/hiking, boating, sailing, jet-skiing, watching college ice hockey, entertaining, golf, tennis, travel, lounging around, surfing the internet, reading, brewing, cooking

I do a lot of fishing all year long.
I hunt in the fall and winter.
DW and I like to bicycle ride together and hike trails in the Smokies.
I walk three miles a day.
I repair all sorts of things.
I like to cook. We go on cruises.
I also have an Extra Class Ham Radio License that is currently not in use (but I keep it current).

Gardening (outdoor and indoor containers with grow lights)
Reading (not so much lately)
Volunteering, usually cooking breakfast or setup/cleanup, bussing tables for exercise and socializing, decorating for holidays
Decluttering the house and interior room painting
Tutoring math (only for Mr B so far)
Playing pool
Internet surfing
Cooking at home

I'm not bored yet. :D

Presently and in no particular order:
Ceramics (wheel thrown)
Metal Sculpture
Gardening
Riding (motorcycles and bicycles)
Volunteer radio reading service for the blind
Travel
Kayak
Hiking
Building/Landscaping at our home
Cooking
and at some point in the near future take up surf fishing and restoring a vintage Vespa.

Cheers!

Kayak fishing for BIG fish.
kayak-fishing-for-marlin.jpg

Big mountain skiing
big_Mountain_ski_picture.jpg

Gold panning
1668144_f520.jpg

Dirt biking
img_1162438_3_f9a047eb167083cb6a8f73ff62041bdf.jpg

img_1162438_4_06e9b1629ccc861c464e8f5eab50d2ff.jpg

Adventure motorcycle camping
img_1162438_5_ff8fe6c387971eae40b22b7fb4cbc13b.jpg

Looks like a good size fish in the first pic. What is it and what do you do once you land it?

Recently restarted my childhood, kart racing hobby.

Here's me after my first feature win in 1959:
Karting02a.jpg

This was a feature win in 2009:
Alumni Race 1-29-09 002a.jpg

9-17-11 3 Hour Enduro 099a.jpg

Mostly the same ones that interested, me when I was working, but now have the time to actually pursue.

Ham radio - much more active now
Travel - spending the Winter in AZ, seeing the West
The Internet
Financial stuff
Walking
Digital photography

And my favorite - absolutely nothing, and, if I don't finish doing nothing today, I can always pick up where I left off the next day :dance:

Some of the same ones I do today:

Polynesian dance
Tap dance
Geocaching
Swimming
Camping
Reading
Travel

I plan to add:

More travel
Metal detecting
Archeology
Anthropology

Hams, how many hours a week you spend on average in front of the transceiver? And tinkering with the soldering iron? Do you do field day type of set ups? DXpeditions?
I'm including this as a core activity in my retirement but I'm afraid I'll get burned out .

Back
Top Bottom