Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Old Lazy Boy = 17 years. Current = 5 years and falling apart.
badatmath is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 06:44 PM   #42

Picked up a recliner 2 years ago that has a power adjustable head rest, for those with neck issues it's a feature well worth it. I use my laptop a lot when sitting in the recliner and it provides the needed neck/head support most recliners I've used lack. Not sure of the brand, picked it up at Sam Levitz, best to go to a showroom and test fit one.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:57 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent an hour today sitting in many many recliners at LazyBoy store.
Overwhelming.

Most of the floor models were rockers and/or swivel rockers. We want neither.
Our needs are basic I guess.
Really love the power recline feature though.
The lever and pushback recliners were hard to operate and Im fairly strong.

Sad to heat the several comments about decline in quality.
Salesperson repeated a few times that there was a 5-8 month delivery time!

I understand Covid and all. Took us 6months to get our Bosch dishwasher earlier this year.

We're going to a local furniture store to check out some other brands.
momoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:21 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I had a La-Z-Boy recliner when we moved into this home six years ago, and I was never really happy with it.

Last year we went into BTD territory and I got one of these. Most comfortable thing I've ever sat in, and just an incredible experience. I could happily spend all day in it. If you have a dealer near you, I highly recommend trying one out.

https://www.stressless.com/en
My FIL falls asleep in something similar every time I am over visiting. And here I thought it was me
Old 09-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #45

Hmmm….I bought my aging parents two La-z-boy recliners a few years back. Both of them are just about worn out, mom’s worse than dad’s. I was thinking that it’t about time to buy them some new ones. I have no idea how you guy get a La z boy to last 20-25 years, knowing how careful my old parents are to make things last forever, yet seeing their chairs break down.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I had a La-Z-Boy recliner when we moved into this home six years ago, and I was never really happy with it.

Last year we went into BTD territory and I got one of these. Most comfortable thing I've ever sat in, and just an incredible experience. I could happily spend all day in it. If you have a dealer near you, I highly recommend trying one out.

https://www.stressless.com/en
I have the exact same one in gray being delivered in a few day. It was comfortable in the store but the proof will be after using it a few days at home. I hope I have the same experience as you.

I have a nice all leather (front, back, sides) power recliner for adjusting legs, lumbar, and head. Wish it was a bit larger to accommodate my long legs though. That was the reason I bought the Stressless recliner.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:25 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

ms gamboolgal and I got His & Hers Lazy Boys when I retired.

She got the exact one she wanted and I did as well. Different models but hers is hers and mine is mine.

We really like them alot and they are super comfortable.

We got the higher grade leather - different types but higher grade. Again we are very pleased and would recommend you take a look at them.
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:00 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Let me put it this way. Walk into any Fire Station in the country and you'll see a row of Lay-Z-Boy chairs sitting there in front of the television. They get constant abuse by Firefighters for years without breaking. And if and when they do, Lay-Z-Boy repairs them.

I'm 30+ years of proof.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:25 PM   #49

We have Stanton reclining loveseats in the house and RV, and a sofa. All are power recliners and we are happy so far.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:58 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have two powered Lazyboy recliners. They’re wonderful!
Old 09-29-2021, 06:57 AM   #51

Power = infinite positions
Manual = not so much
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When we recently ordered our lazyboy furniture, we were told it would be about 4-6 months, got them 2 months early.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
We have two powered Lazyboy recliners. They’re wonderful!
+1000000000000000000000

All I can say for the rest of you (anti-Lazyboy people) is that I just don't agree! We are ecstatic with our LazyBoy recliners and wouldn't settle for any other.
But then, that's us.....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I heartily second all the recommendations for the Ekornes Stressless recliner. It is arguably the world's most comfortable chair, with amazing lower-back support in all positions. Great for reading, TV, napping. I've owned about a dozen of these chairs, and currently have five. I find them locally for sale online (mostly Facebook Marketplace, sometimes Craigslist) for a song, maybe clean the leather and resell them. New, these chairs can cost anywhere from $1,800 to $4,800. Used, you can find them for $400 to $800 all day long. Sometimes for much less. They last forever, so a chair that is 10-12 years old will still sit like new. So, to repeat, buy a used Stressless in your community.
LA_Newsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #55
Confused about dryer sheets

I am looking at the one advertised in AARP : https://www.perfectsleepchair.com/pages/the-chair
DebInOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #56
Confused about dryer sheets

We have Stressless like Braumeister's. We added two additional rings on the bottom of both the chair and stool. This adds an extra 4 inches of height as I dislike struggling to get out of a low chair. These are wonderful. They make several chairs and couches to fit different ergonomics. I agree that they are expensive, but we have a choice and we chose comfort and durability.
charliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:30 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliep View Post
We have Stressless like Braumeister's. We added two additional rings on the bottom of both the chair and stool. This adds an extra 4 inches of height as I dislike struggling to get out of a low chair. These are wonderful. They make several chairs and couches to fit different ergonomics. I agree that they are expensive, but we have a choice and we chose comfort and durability.
When I had rotator cuff surgery, I (like many others) could not sleep in a bed. There was just no way to get comfortable. As a result, I wound up sleeping in one of our Stressless recliners each night for many weeks. Even our 30 y.o. Stressless is still going strong after I replaced a couple of bushings.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't speak for this century's LaZBoy recliners, but the one I'm sitting in is 50 years old and has been reupholstered once. It's still the most comforatble chair in the house ;-)

It also works for "sleep on your back" medical instructions after shoulder reconstruction and multiple eye surgeries (cataracts and partial cornea transplants - but I'm now 20/25 and 20/30 uncorrected: not too bad for 70+ ;-)
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Our first tall man lazy boy bought in the late 70’s, wore like iron and looked good when we sold it 25 years later because it was orange! I still remember the salesman sticking a pencil through the cloth to show how tough it was. My new lazyboy not wearing near as well and has been back for repairs twice. I’m not quite as impressed as I used to be with them
jeffmete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:07 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went furniture shopping with my son for his new house last month. One of the items he was looking for was a nice reading chair for his bedroom. The sales guy laughed and pointed out the Stressless chairs and warned us of the price. They were nice, but I didn't want my son to get too comfortable in them, so we moved on and found one he really liked at a reasonable price.

If I ever decide to replace my living room furniture I'd consider one. My current stuff is 20 years old but I still like it, though I think I'd like leather better. I used to really like Natuzzi leather sofas and chairs. I don't know if they are still good quality.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote