What city to visit for the month of January?

Visit Washington DC, no crowds cool mild weather. All of the attractions are yours with no wait. Bundle up, walk everywhere and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visit Washington DC, no crowds cool mild weather. All of the attractions are yours with no wait. Bundle up, walk everywhere and enjoy.

No crowds on the mall or in the museums, maybe. But don't try to drive anywhere. Winter traffic is miserable, especially once the first flake falls.

No crowds on the mall or in the museums, maybe. But don't try to drive anywhere. Winter traffic is miserable, especially once the first flake falls.

I'll second that. DC area traffic was the main motivation for us to move to WV. And if it snows... well, you're not going anywhere in a hurry, if at all.

Dhickman57 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If by cool and mild you mean snowy and windy and below freezing, then ok.

Tuscon, much prettier than Phoenix with actual mountains!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

San Diego. Went there last January and it was stunning. Also Hawaiian Islands. January is supposed to be the peak whale watching season in Maui. Not east or south as you wanted. It's cold in the east in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I spent a January week in Orlando once and it was 26 degrees with frost on my car in the mornings.

Go further south.

George Town in Grand Cayman Island

Suggest you stay away from Chandler/Phoenix AZ it is nice in the winter but the people suck! Seems like everyone here is from Chicago, or Canada nowdays in this retirement community.

The Keys.

Or, you could visit us here in San Diego. January is usually our rainy month and we are planning on a big rain this year, but even at its worst, it's still pretty nice.

Suggest you stay away from Chandler/Phoenix AZ it is nice in the winter but the people suck! Seems like everyone here is from Chicago, or Canada nowdays in this retirement community.

What have you got against people from Chicago and Canada?

Canadians are welcome in the Carolinas, I promise! Don't know about those Chicagoans, though....

J/K--I don't know anyone from Chicago, good or bad! :)

Key West in January would be great.

I would suggest Sarasota , Fl since it has great weather , beaches , lots of restaurants , theatre , opera , arts community and a great downtown but we already have our quota of winter visitors so do not come here !

I live in the north and I am done with dark and gray in January.

Would you recommend a city for me to live during the month of January?

I'd like to try east coast or south. I like museums, ballet, great restaurants.

Perhaps I'll spend a week in 4 cities. I like New Orleans but a week would suffice.

Cost isn't an issue. I'm good at finding lower cost air tickets and hotels.

What would you recommend?

TIA!

New Orleans, Charleston, then any number of cities in Florida (Sarasota, West Palm Beach, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando).

Yes, it can be cold in New Orleans and Charleston, but probably not a problem for you. Maybe you can be flexible or just stay a few days in each in case one of those Chicago artic blasts spills towards the south. And yes, Orlando has been cold a few days in its life, but if it is near freezing at night, it is likely going to be sunny and 60 that day.

I would avoid counting on any beach time north of West Palm. It could happen, but I know a lot of people disappointed as well. Also, you sound like you want culture, so close to the beach seems to drop in that regard in many ways.

If you consider Orlando, try a smaller city (suburb) like Winter Park. GREAT restaurants, shopping, and the Sun Rail runs to many major locations including airports.

Here are some average , high/low temperatures. Consider that 20 degrees below these can happen, so bring winter coat just in case, and you should be fine.
Orlando 72/50
New Orleans 62/43
Charleston 57/42
Chicago 32/18

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I've been googling many of the cities you suggest. Some cities sound great that weren't on my radar at all.

I think I'll pass on the northern cities. "-30...but it's a dry cold" cracks me up.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I've been googling many of the cities you suggest. Some cities sound great that weren't on my radar at all.

I think I'll pass on the northern cities. "-30...but it's a dry cold" cracks me up.

Those -30 temps will crack your skin, too.

Here are some average , high/low temperatures. Consider that 20 degrees below these can happen, so bring winter coat just in case, and you should be fine.
Orlando 72/50
New Orleans 62/43
Charleston 57/42
Chicago 32/18
Also, if you choose New Orleans, remember that the temperatures are not the whole story around here. Our legendary high humidity can make the cold seem much colder and more bone chilling than you might imagine.

On the positive side, Mardi Gras is February 9th in 2016 so carnival season will be intense and in full swing during January. There will be lots of parades and so on, but of course keep the weather in mind when you dress for them.

I've never been to Key West in January, but if I wanted to go someplace in January this would be my first choice. Well, Key West or Hawaii. :D

The attached photo was taken in my New Orleans back yard, on January 28th 2014. This is not a tropical paradise in January, at least not reliably so. Notice the lack of sunshine and the ice/snow on my neighbor's roof. Now imagine unbelievably high humidity and gusting winds:

Attachments

• ice.jpg
    ice.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

I went there for NYE a couple years ago. Thousands of people partying in the streets. It's like Mardi Gras in New Orleans except it was in the 60's at midnight. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and was comfortable in Key West. In New Orleans in early Feb I was freezing cold while wearing a hoodie. I didn't even stay until midnight. Key West is MUCH better than New Orleans in Jan/Feb.

Back
Top Bottom