Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The first 4 weeks involved preparing for travel. Spent the following 3 months traveling around New Zealand.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
1989. Spent the first two and a half months in bed, recovering from cancer operation.
32 internal and 22 external stitches.
how're you doing, now? glad you're still with us.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
No routine.Since retiring end of May, went on solo trip to Texas and to Isla Mujeres....
I need a routine of sorts. wake up, dog goes out, open shades (and windows if weather ok), feed dog, walk dog, breakfast and the meds. the remainder of the day is a toss up. if the routine is messed up I tend to forget things like meds.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

My first two months of retirement were spent with my mother in her last few days. I was glad I didn't have to worry about work on top of family issues. Unfortunately mom died much earlier than expected so it didn't last as long as I hoped, but I treasure the free time I was able to spend with her. Mom lived about 300 miles from where I lived, so normal life wouldn't be seeing her every day.
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #25

My first day of retirement was on my 56th birthday 6 years ago. It was a Monday and I woke up in a tent in the Redwoods with the flu. I spent the next 6 days in my LazyBoy.

After that, I was like a horse out of the barn. Walking, hiking, backpacking and taking yoga classes. It took me quite a while to slow down. I still do the same activities, I'm just not in as much of a frantic rush to do them.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

My lone short-term (first year) goal was to be active and avoid any commitments. In the first month the only commitment that I had was an upcoming half-marathon so I was running 20+ miles per week to get ready for that. Other things included golfing 3 or 4 times per week, some social time at the cigar lounge, and a couple of books. I don't think that I watched any TV. Eight months in and the days are filled similarly, and I am very happy with that.
Chapter 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

The first month I slept and basically chilled out .After that I decided to get a life and I joined a gym and started an online business .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

First two weeks relaxed and decompressed, second two weeks decompressed some more on the beaches of Hawaii!
Almost 3 years in, with a bit of on call work in between, it's been a blast.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I don't remember exactly if this was the first month, but what sticks in my mind early on in retirement was going to the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco on a weekday and riding home on the train with all the commuters. We were pretty happy we were able to spend the day at the museum instead of working. Another early on, fun day was going to Fisherman's Wharf and doing all the touristy stuff including a rocket boat ride.

I still don't have a routine or good habits for getting things done except for fun stuff.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:54 AM   #30

My husband retired first and he had good advice. He told me to pretend like I was on vacation until I got used to not having a schedule. I had a very busy work calendar before I retired, so he was right. It did not take me long to adjust! I also used my yoga classes to give my week some structure and help me keep the days in order.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #31
gone traveling

I will be retiring in 8-10 years...currently 54. I imagine that I will try to catch up some of the forgotten projects around our 10 acre farm, but some of that depends on the weather/season.

In the next few years, I plan to get a small 14' fishing boat with a trolling motor for all of the reservoirs around us, and remember what fishing is all about. I also have 4 golf courses within 5 miles, but haven't played since my mid 20s, and would like to try again with money, and time on my side.

We also plan on traveling the U.S.A in our big travel trailer with our dogs.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

We flew to Hawaii for the first month. Needed massive decompression and it helped a lot.
However, it was still in the "is this really happening phase" and I was still in Type A mode so I wish we had waited a bit longer...the decompression would have worked better.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
...went on solo trip to ...Isla Mujeres...Bonaire, Curacao...
These sound like great scuba diving destinations...did you dive there?
Old 08-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #34

I'm not quite there yet, but my plans include:
  • Selling/getting the condo ready to sell.
  • Packing to move (storage, overseas).
  • Reducing possessions.
  • Final planning for international move.
  • Sorting through some 250K photos and video files (trying to delete as many as possible).
  • Swim, lift weights, lose 10 pounds, get in better shape.

Maybe this will take 2 months?
Old 08-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #35

When I retired the house we were living in was about to be sold and we were packing in preparation for moving. Everything we could physically carry and that would fit in the pickup truck we were moving to a storage place in WV to minimize the mover's time and our expenses. When moving day came the movers were packed and ready to go in two hours.

Unfortunately, we did not move directly to the the new house, but to FIL's house since the new house was not yet ready. We were there for about the next three weeks, then on to the new house, about 35 minutes away. The next six months were spent adjusting to the new house and retirement, and this new idea of having "all day to do anything and if it didn't get done that day, then we'll do it the next day". Both of us really liked that part and we've been pretty relaxed about schedules since.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:17 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Just started my first month - so far trying to stretch daily and get some exercise, planning on a mini triathlon Labor day weekend so need to get my butt in shape. Took one of my grandkids backpacking on an overnighter close to home. Planning a 8 day backpacking trip for early next month.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #37

Not work. Plus camped twice in April because it was an unusually warm month that year. It was awesome
Old 08-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
In the next few years, I plan to get a small 14' fishing boat with a trolling motor for all of the reservoirs around us, and remember what fishing is all about. I also have 4 golf courses within 5 miles, but haven't played since my mid 20s, and would like to try again with money, and time on my side.
+1. I love to fish, and never had enough time to fish when I was working. Since retirement, I have been able to really enjoy fishing, and that has been great. I have a small boat similar to yours, but kayak fishing is my real passion. I fish for freshwater species (bass, bluegill, walleyes) during the summer months at home, then switch to saltwater fishing (for seatrout, redfish, snook) during the winter, at our southern home. So much fun........
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
My first day of retirement was on my 56th birthday 6 years ago. It was a Monday and I woke up in a tent in the Redwoods with the flu. I spent the next 6 days in my LazyBoy.

After that, I was like a horse out of the barn. Walking, hiking, backpacking and taking yoga classes. It took me quite a while to slow down. I still do the same activities, I'm just not in as much of a frantic rush to do them.

Exactly! We also pretty much do the same fun stuff and hobbies as when w*rking, was except that we are relaxed and not rushing to the next commitment.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #40

Oh, I finally started eating breakfast. Never had the time before! Breakfast with DW and great coffee is one of my many favorite things in retirement.