What did you do in your first month?

My lone short-term (first year) goal was to be active and avoid any commitments. In the first month the only commitment that I had was an upcoming half-marathon so I was running 20+ miles per week to get ready for that. Other things included golfing 3 or 4 times per week, some social time at the cigar lounge, and a couple of books. I don't think that I watched any TV. Eight months in and the days are filled similarly, and I am very happy with that.

The first month I slept and basically chilled out .After that I decided to get a life and I joined a gym and started an online business .

First two weeks relaxed and decompressed, second two weeks decompressed some more on the beaches of Hawaii!
Almost 3 years in, with a bit of on call work in between, it's been a blast.

I don't remember exactly if this was the first month, but what sticks in my mind early on in retirement was going to the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco on a weekday and riding home on the train with all the commuters. We were pretty happy we were able to spend the day at the museum instead of working. Another early on, fun day was going to Fisherman's Wharf and doing all the touristy stuff including a rocket boat ride.

I still don't have a routine or good habits for getting things done except for fun stuff.

Last edited:
My husband retired first and he had good advice. He told me to pretend like I was on vacation until I got used to not having a schedule. I had a very busy work calendar before I retired, so he was right. It did not take me long to adjust! I also used my yoga classes to give my week some structure and help me keep the days in order.

I will be retiring in 8-10 years...currently 54. I imagine that I will try to catch up some of the forgotten projects around our 10 acre farm, but some of that depends on the weather/season.

In the next few years, I plan to get a small 14' fishing boat with a trolling motor for all of the reservoirs around us, and remember what fishing is all about. I also have 4 golf courses within 5 miles, but haven't played since my mid 20s, and would like to try again with money, and time on my side.

We also plan on traveling the U.S.A in our big travel trailer with our dogs.

We flew to Hawaii for the first month. Needed massive decompression and it helped a lot.
However, it was still in the "is this really happening phase" and I was still in Type A mode so I wish we had waited a bit longer...the decompression would have worked better.

I'm not quite there yet, but my plans include:

• Selling/getting the condo ready to sell.
  • Packing to move (storage, overseas).
  • Reducing possessions.
  • Final planning for international move.
  • Sorting through some 250K photos and video files (trying to delete as many as possible).
  • Swim, lift weights, lose 10 pounds, get in better shape.

Maybe this will take 2 months?

When I retired the house we were living in was about to be sold and we were packing in preparation for moving. Everything we could physically carry and that would fit in the pickup truck we were moving to a storage place in WV to minimize the mover's time and our expenses. When moving day came the movers were packed and ready to go in two hours.

Unfortunately, we did not move directly to the the new house, but to FIL's house since the new house was not yet ready. We were there for about the next three weeks, then on to the new house, about 35 minutes away. The next six months were spent adjusting to the new house and retirement, and this new idea of having "all day to do anything and if it didn't get done that day, then we'll do it the next day". Both of us really liked that part and we've been pretty relaxed about schedules since.

Just started my first month - so far trying to stretch daily and get some exercise, planning on a mini triathlon Labor day weekend so need to get my butt in shape. Took one of my grandkids backpacking on an overnighter close to home. Planning a 8 day backpacking trip for early next month.

Not work. Plus camped twice in April because it was an unusually warm month that year. It was awesome

In the next few years, I plan to get a small 14' fishing boat with a trolling motor for all of the reservoirs around us, and remember what fishing is all about. I also have 4 golf courses within 5 miles, but haven't played since my mid 20s, and would like to try again with money, and time on my side.

+1. I love to fish, and never had enough time to fish when I was working. Since retirement, I have been able to really enjoy fishing, and that has been great. I have a small boat similar to yours, but kayak fishing is my real passion. I fish for freshwater species (bass, bluegill, walleyes) during the summer months at home, then switch to saltwater fishing (for seatrout, redfish, snook) during the winter, at our southern home. So much fun........:)

My first day of retirement was on my 56th birthday 6 years ago. It was a Monday and I woke up in a tent in the Redwoods with the flu. I spent the next 6 days in my LazyBoy.

After that, I was like a horse out of the barn. Walking, hiking, backpacking and taking yoga classes. It took me quite a while to slow down. I still do the same activities, I'm just not in as much of a frantic rush to do them.

Exactly! We also pretty much do the same fun stuff and hobbies as when w*rking, was except that we are relaxed and not rushing to the next commitment.

Oh, I finally started eating breakfast. Never had the time before! Breakfast with DW and great coffee is one of my many favorite things in retirement.

Oh, I finally started eating breakfast. Never had the time before! Breakfast with DW and great coffee is one of my many favorite things in retirement.
+1! One weekend day a week, we cook pancakes, waffles, popovers, Dutch babies, or something similar...with eggs/omlettes, orange juice and coffee, and fruit. We have a leisurely breakfast on the lanai, and enjoy watching the white terns, red-vented bubuls, egrets, minas, finches, and other birds flying around. I'm looking forward to starting out more days each week this way!

I was pretty ambitious to get everything done. Lol Then I realized I didn't had to get it all done on day one.

I learned to find my way but I did stay busy because that is my nature.

March 29 was my last day-
Spent ten days in Texas, saw a lot came home, went to Big Bear for a week then to Chicago for a week. Started walking at least five miles a day and have had no problem keeping busy since then.

I needed something to wash my brain cells of the office funk.

So, I clean, repaired, and stained my deck.

I did have to spend a good deal of time making sure I get my health insurance correct. Had to fill some forms, collect some faxes, etc.

I was waiting for my renter to move out of my condo so found a cheap place to stay for a month and a half in the meantime in Bocas del Toro, Panama, and took Spanish classes to keep me busy while I was there. Then went on my first cruise ever, as my retirement present, then came home and moved in... Once here, well, still figuring out what to do! Found a gym I like. and volunteered for a short while.

+1! One weekend day a week, we cook pancakes, waffles, popovers, Dutch babies, or something similar...with eggs/omlettes, orange juice and coffee, and fruit. We have a leisurely breakfast on the lanai, and enjoy watching the white terns, red-vented bubuls, egrets, minas, finches, and other birds flying around. I'm looking forward to starting out more days each week this way!

Wow! I'm getting hungry!

Our breakfast is pretty simple, but still a real treat. We eat our big meal in the middle of the afternoon. When the weather is decent, we will prep. fish on the grill and eat outside, both breakfast and dinner. We too enjoy the flowers and birds, esp. hummingbirds, on our back patio. This is our nomal at home day. We've become very good cooks since we can do a healthier, tastier, and cheaper job at home.

Didn't cook much later in my w*rking career. All the eating out was bad for my health. Life's much better now!

Went to Italy for a month. It was a great way to separate from a 36+year career that was rewarding, but FULL time. That was two years ago, still traveling much of the time and loving it. Next up, Indonesia,, snorkeling and bird watching, chasing National Geographic moments with my equally nature geeky husband.

Back
Top Bottom