Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just keeping your hand in...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #202
Give me a forum ...

Went to the grocery store, Then to the library, washed two cars. It is now noon.

Will mow the yard this evening

But for now... I am going to kick back and take it easy for awhile.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #203
Give me a forum ...

Got woken up by visiting grandaughter at 6:45, watched Ratatouille, made breakfast, and basically sat around waiting. Now TS Hanna is hitting us, so I'm "doing the board" and waiting for the power to go out.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #204
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got up & ate breakfast, checked email & the forum, then headed out to my friend's hobby shop about 20 miles away to pick up some needed supplies & shoot the bull. Then headed back home for lunch, watched an old western on TV, mowed the lawn, and then ate supper. Currently watching the Cubs vs Reds game on TV while surfing & hanging out here in the forum. In a few minutes I'm going to eat some homemade blueberry cobbler, finish watching the ball game then the news, and read a little bit....after that I'll hit the pillows and prepare for the great unknown adventures that tomorrow may hold.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #205
Give me a forum ...

Spent 3 hours sitting out in the warm sun talking with an absolutely enchanting young horse veterinarian from England. She had been everywhere, done everything.

One thing I woud like to share with the board- she said regardless of what we think, we will not happy with a nationalized NHS type health system. Their income taxes show a statement in which NHS is broken out. She paid $4000 for NHS on a middle class salary, and said it was so dangerous and horrible than she and every other middle class person goes out and buys private insurance on top. Here in the US her private insurance costs only $180/mo, and she likes the care and service. My guess is that she is about 35.

I tried to be of some service, but I think she already has her needs taken care of.

Ha
Old 09-07-2008, 05:25 AM   #206
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Spent 3 hours sitting out in the warm sun talking with an absolutely enchanting young horse veterinarian from England. She had been everywhere, done everything.

One thing I woud like to share with the board- she said regardless of what we think, we will not happy with a nationalized NHS type health system. Their income taxes show a statement in which NHS is broken out. She paid $4000 for NHS on a middle class salary, and said it was so dangerous and horrible than she and every other middle class person goes out and buys private insurance on top. Here in the US her private insurance costs only $180/mo, and she likes the care and service. My guess is that she is about 35.

I tried to be of some service, but I think she already has her needs taken care of.

Ha
Ha... was that $4000 or £4000?

Just went to the UK and spoke with several people about the topic... mostly educated folks with good jobs.

The opinions I got were: The quality of health care is good under NHS... It is the wait for elective health care issues and non-life threatening that has a long-wait. For example if one needs a hip replacement, they may be waiting 6-12 months. if one has a life threatening event (under the NHS) is good. One goes right into the hospital.

Apparently it is a common complaint. The Brits have been working on reducing the wait.

The people I spoke with said that they have an insurance plan that is funded by their companies. This gives one quicker access to health care for elective health care.

Their recommendation was to have a supplemental plan... But they said it was a little pricey.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:02 AM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
S

Ha
Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #208
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My guess is that she is about 35.

Don't feel too bad ha. My guess is her service provider is close to her age, thus he has only half the years of experience you've managed to accumulate.

Her loss, eh?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #209

Today got up & got dressed, then drove to a town about 15 miles away to go to a "Senior's Health Fair".....very popular things around this area. Reps from all of the health care facilities, clinics, hospitals, pharmacies, and that sort of thing, along with various law enforcement agencies with info scams, home security, emergency info, etc. We picked up a lot of health & safety info, candy, pens & pencils, emery boards, a fly-swatter, a couple of those "green" shopping bags that the grocery stores charge 99¢ for, a really nice heavy-duty 'beach bag' type thing with zippered top & zippered inner pocket (for keys, change, etc), and a few other odds & ends. Visited with some old friends, and made some new acquaintances. Best part of the whole deal was the FREE breakfast!!!

Came back to town and went to the grocery store, came home and watched Bonanza, worked on the train layout, ate supper, worked on the train layout, now surfing checking the forum, and getting ready to have milk & cookies, then pillow time.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #210
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My guess is her service provider is close to her age, thus he has only half the years of experience you've managed to accumulate.
Yahbut, basic division tells us that 70 goes into 35 a lot less than 35 into 35.

Alternative answer: Old guy hits on a younger woman at a bar and tells her that old men make better lovers because they last longer. Young woman responds "Sure, but who wants to fool around with an old man for a long time?!?"

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #211
Full time employment: Posting here.

Picked up some band members of a popular country act that are in St. Louis today and took them golfing. I have a friend that is a concert promoter and from time to time he askes me to take some of the band members out golfing.

He knows I'm always available and its neat to meet some of these folks. Also I get lots of concert tickets.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:01 PM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Don't feel too bad ha. My guess is her service provider is close to her age, thus he has only half the years of experience you've managed to accumulate.

Her loss, eh?
Really. I can never understand why these young women who seem happy to spend time with me don't see my obvious superiority of wit, erudition, etc and fail to call me. My age matters not one wit to me.

Still, they give me sweet dreams...

Chinaco- it was $4000, 2000 pounds.

Ha
Old 09-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #213
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Really. I can never understand why these young women who seem happy to spend time with me don't see my obvious superiority of wit, erudition, etc and fail to call me. My age matters not one wit to me.

Ha

Eventually you will find one who can not resist your charms or has father isues to work out .
Old 09-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
We also had homemade German potato salad and some sliced cucumbers in a light white sauce of some sort (Mom's secret recipe).
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Any chance you'd be willing to share Mom's secret? I sure would like the recipe.

Audrey
Sorry I took so long Audrey......I had her write out the recipe, and then forgot all about it until just now. Anyway, here it is:

"Kansas Cucumber Salad"

1 cup Mayo

1/4 cup sugar

4 teaspoons vinegar

1/2 teaspoon dill weed

4 medium cucumbers peeled & sliced thin (about 1/4" thick...give or take)

3 green onions chopped

Mix it all together, chill, and enjoy!

Dang, now I'm hungry again!
Exhibitionist?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #215
Dryer sheet aficionado

Exhibitionist?

Quote:
.... I might have enjoyed some covert staring myself but didn't want to add to her stress....

Ha
Could be that part of her enjoyment was knowing she was being watched.

Vick
Today
Old 09-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #216
Dryer sheet aficionado

Today

- woke up at 7 intending to study
- instead poked around ebay and read paper
- walked with son and wife to son's school, yakked with some parents on the schoolground
- met a friend for a leisurely walk in the neighbourhood. Showed her some parks that she had never seen
- walked to university, studied in the library. Helped a classmate with her physics homework. Talked to her about work, how to get work, work as a good thing that one should experience, and retiring from work as a good thing.
- listened to radio over the internet from Beijing (I'm learning Mandarin). Fantasized that the singer was as beautiful as her voice.
- physics class, discussed whether Hubble's constant has remained constant throughout time, covered various theories regarding the origin of the universe and which ones have withstood the rigour of scientific scrutiny. Started on the mathematical treatment of relativity; more relativity on Thursday
- walked home, made dinner for family, then out for groceries. Missed a stunning sunset.
- watching an ebay sale close. It'll pay for half of my tuition.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #217
Moderator Emeritus

Got up late after dog pestered me. Ate my viilia with nuts and figs. Went in to my old workplace and talked to my successor about a few issues he was having. Visited with the rest of the guys.

Went home, let pup out. Left again and went to the store for diapers, laundry soap and TP. Delivered the items to my niece and her spouse. Cleaned their apartment, baby in one arm, while the niece slept. Fed and changed baby a couple of times. Washed and put away their laundry.

Went home, snuggling on couch with the dog while a thunderstorm plows through town.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 09-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Whip me, please.

Today.....well you know what I did. And what a perfect day for it.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #219
Give me a forum ...

- made coffee for dh2b and sent him to w*ork
- went to 2 doctor visits, routine followups
- drove 97 miles for DAV transportation network - taught an 89 yr young gentleman how to pick the next destination place and how to ignore the speaking (nagging us to TURN LEFT) voice of a TomTom GPS
-surfed here
Old 09-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #220
Give me a forum ...

Dr.'s appointment this morning. (I think I have seen more of Doctors in the last 2 years than the previous 10. )

Caught a rock to my windshield, drove straight to the windshield repair shop and got an injection fix; had a Jumbo Jack w/o bun for lunch; went tango dancing then stopped and got some groceries on my way home to fix dinner.

My back seems OK enough that I can dance at least for a while without much pain.

Ha