Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #2181
Moderator Emeritus

Boring day. The Great Garage Cleanout continues.

This all started when I could barely squeeze a Miata into what is supposed to be a two car garage. As George Carlin would say, "I got too much stuff!"

I figure I have about 6 cubic yards of extra stuff, which I'm now sorting into recyclable electronics, mixed paper, books for the library, and other stuff.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #2182
Full time employment: Posting here.

Took the dog for a 1.5 hour hike today, down our favorite beach, up the thousand steps to the bluffs above, and back across the bluffs then down the backside, back to our beach.

Joy incarnate is a young labrador retriever, off-leash on a sunny and sandy beach.

It was great.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #2183
Recycles dryer sheets

I took the day off to start getting in shape for when I retire... I will have to practice doing nothing before I can get good at it...
Old 09-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #2184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
I took the day off to start getting in shape foe when I retire... I will have to practice doing nothing before I can get good at it...
Good for you!

After a year of retirement, I am still practicing. I am proud to report that I am making progress -- in small incremental steps. I think it might take the rest of my life to get it right, though!

-- Rita
Old 09-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #2185

Just returned home from a hour long massage and a body polish.... So relaxing.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
I took a ride on one of these B17's a few years ago, here in Leesburg, VA. It was great, price was around $400. My dad was a radio/gunner on a B17 during WWII, flew many missions over Italy and Germany so it was kind of neat to take the ride and see just a bit of what it must have been like.

I believe the B17 will be in Leesburg again later this month if you want to try again. Here's a link:

Town of Leesburg : News : Leesburg Executive Airport Open House to be held August 29th
The EAA B-17 -- Aluminum Overcast. The first time I saw her was at the CAF Airsho '79 in Harlingen 29 years and 11 months ago. Sunday afternoon she seized an engine in the show. They landed, got their gear and crew and took off for home on three engines. Must have been a long trip home.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #2187

I did my last 3 hours of clinic today.....I am done with with 600 hours of study for my Massage Certification!!!
Went for waxing.....uber painful in some areas and a pedicure.
Packing to go away for three blissful days at the lake
Old 09-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #2188

Went to w*rk. Quiet day in the office as many people took time off to extend the holiday week-end. I planned to go to the gym after work but got my arm twisted by two co-workers to ditch the gym in favor of a martini and dinner at a lively bistro with patio dining. We did our girl-talk thing and had a good time. Will try to get up early tomorrow and take a run before heading to my Aunt's for the week-end.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #2189
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
The EAA B-17 -- Aluminum Overcast. The first time I saw her was at the CAF Airsho '79 in Harlingen 29 years and 11 months ago. Sunday afternoon she seized an engine in the show. They landed, got their gear and crew and took off for home on three engines. Must have been a long trip home.
Ouch. Those big radial engines are not fun to swap. Somewhere I have a pic of C46 radial swap in progress in Cold Bay, Alaska. IIRC it took 4 or 5 days at a remote corner of the airfield. No hangar, mostly raining, temps in the 40 F range. An old fork lift for lift device.

They flew in the replacement engine in another C46 from Anchorage. Quiet a jacka$$ing project to pull it out from the aircraft, with an ancient fork lift, well over gross limit, lots of concrete blocks for extra ballast.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #2190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Just returned home from a hour long massage and a body polish.... So relaxing.
A body polish? Not sure what that is but it sounds intriguing...

Ehh, slept late, bought groceries and mowed the grass. Annoyed a couple of forum members () and did some writing. Ate my 5th hamburger of the week. I don't cook when DH is gone. I need to graze on a head of lettuce...
Old 09-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #2191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ate my 5th hamburger of the week. I don't cook when DH is gone. I need to graze on a head of lettuce...
You want one of my cholesterol pills?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #2192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
You want one of my cholesterol pills?
No thanks...I've got my own. I probably need to take 2 tonight.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #2193
Moderator Emeritus

I just wrote a long detailed post about what I did the last two days. And then I deleted it. And that ends today.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 09-05-2009, 07:36 AM   #2194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I just wrote a long detailed post about what I did the last two days. And then I deleted it. And that ends today.
Not a good 2 days? I wouldn't have much to write about the last 2 days. Just golf and a little running around. But today is the first Saturday for college football. My favorite time of the year.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #2195

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
A body polish? Not sure what that is but it sounds intriguing...
She used some sort of granular product and massaged quite vigorously. Then I took a nice very warm shower with a really nice product to remove the grit. I was sooo soft after that.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #2196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
She used some sort of granular product and massaged quite vigorously. Then I took a nice very warm shower with a really nice product to remove the grit. I was sooo soft after that.
Wow....I've just got to have one of those....
Old 09-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #2197
Give me a forum ...

I took a brief sabbatical frome the 1s and 0s. Weather is sunny and just fabulous with temps in the mid 70s.
Yesterday, I helped dh2b with rearranging the lower family room into a bona fide man-cave after selling a way too big sectional set he had from past life. Results are fabulous. I can see more of the carpet and the room is more balanced.
We then knocked off a pesky rear brake job, went for ice cream, had lasagna, goofed off...
Today, enjoying my last day of being 50. I have to put together my birthday list.
"Birthday rules" here state that you get to do anything you want all day.

Hmmmmm...what should be first on the list ?
Old 09-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #2198

Had a great day today: DH took me to my favourite jewelry store and bought me some beautiful diamond stud earrings for our 10th wedding anniversary which is coming up in a couple of months :-) I love my hubby!! :-)Now, I just need to figure out what to get him - any ideas?
Old 09-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #2199
Recycles dryer sheets

Took my wife out to breakfast and then helped with the food shopping. In the afternoon I took my mountain bike out for a 2 hour ride through the local state forest, and stopped on the way home for an ice cream sundae. Life is good!
Old 09-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #2200
Give me a forum ...

Not a whole lot. I haven't sleep well this week and it's finally caught up with me.

Right now I'm staring at this forum blowing into the neck of my Shiner beer....

Oh...and thanks to my forum buddies that have checked up on me this week!