what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the dog for a walk in 30 degree weather.
Did a couple of loads of laundry.
Refinanced the mortgage.

-- Rita

I went to Doc's office today for my (last) monthly BP check.....130/60! He's happy...I'm happy...I now get to go there bi-monthly from now on!!! :D

Then I went to the pharmacy to get prescriptions refilled, stopped home for a minute, and then went to have coffee with the gang.

Came home and put up the Christmas tree, and then went out to mess around in my hobby room.

Caught an afternoon nap....ate dinner....surfin' for a bit...then a little TV.....then hit the pillows!!!

Life is Great! :D

DDS but hang out with these 2 mooks. oh, and changed my avatar to the Spot-meister.

Attachments

• LijahBruno.jpg
    LijahBruno.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 7
Ate b'fast, then went to the grocery store (before it started snowing), went to DMV to renew plates (I was the only one in there....in & out in less than 5 minutes...and that included BS'ing for a couple o' minutes), stopped for coffee with the gang, and then came home and spent the rest of the day decorating for Christmas.

Tomorrow's my favorite part of the holiday season....baking C'mas cookies!!! :D:D:D

'Bout 3 1/2" of snow so far today! I don't care though....I don't have to get out in it! Not like all those poor ol' workin' stiffs! >:D

:D

i made a veteran smile today. :D
one of my favorite passengers (and backseat driver extraordinaire ;)) has been getting pretty shaky on his legs, lately. he hasn't been riding for about 3 weeks.
the van i drive is not equipped with a lift.
but he was there today for the day gathering, playing cards and joking.
at "trucks are rolling" time, i offered "my shoulder to lean on, or you can just put your arm around my shoulders to steady yourself" to help him climb into the van.
he did, and after half a minute i was wondering why he wasn't getting into the van. that devil >:D was just enjoying hugging me.
it's fun having 80+ year young boyfriends. :D

Busy day yesterday- put an ad up a month or so back to saw logs in to lumber if you can get the logs to me- I have a small sawmill. Had a call from someone last week and cut for just over 2 hours yesterday, $60 ($25 an hour), idea is to cover my tools/hobby costs and I enjoy the work. These trees were small and required a lot of effort so it was a good workout- I'm one of those people that won't exercise just to exercise but don't mind doing hard work if it's a by-product.

We also had someone come to check out one of our foster shelties (my wife does all the work, I just play with the dogs!)- good news, it looks like a great match so they took her to her new home, just in time for Christmas.

Wore out at that point so sat in the hot tub for 30 minutes, then "watched" a hockey game on tv before time to walk the dogs. Watching tv in the afternoon is code for taking a nap at my house.

Dinner, another 30 minutes in the hot tub and early to bed, a nice day.

Shopping today so may not be as much fun!

After an early morning workout, I picked up three truckloads of newly-cut alder firewood obtained via a free craigslist ad. It was almost 30 minutes away, so it involved three hours of driving total. Good wood, about a cord total. But I'm putting a halt to all free wood scrounging for a year. I already have enough for now through spring 2011.

Then drove into town with DW and DD to do a ton of errands, and had a disturbing senior moment in which I purchased three crabs instead of two that we'd decided on. I even had DD right there saying "Hey, Dad we were going to get two crabs" but somehow was thinking that three crabs would give us 2/3's of a crab each. DD suggested we check out long term care facilities on the way home.

img_762354_0_7b52892333675224839d684c4fd89c60.jpg

Fell asleep at 8:30.

Busy day yesterday- put an ad up a month or so back to saw logs in to lumber if you can get the logs to me- I have a small sawmill. Had a call from someone last week and cut for just over 2 hours yesterday, $60 ($25 an hour), idea is to cover my tools/hobby costs and I enjoy the work. These trees were small and required a lot of effort so it was a good workout- I'm one of those people that won't exercise just to exercise but don't mind doing hard work if it's a by-product.

Can you put up a picture of your sawmill? My grandfather had a mill with a huge circular saw run by a steam engine fueled by bark and scraps. As kids we had tremendous fun diving out onto the sawdust pile. Those things look tricky to operate though. I guess modern ones are better.

If you like, give a little discussion of how the pole is advanced into and through the blade, and how it is controlled.

Ha

I'd love to see a picture of the sawmill too. My grandfather also had one similar to Ha's grandfather.

No serioius injury but close...

Cleaned off our long and winding drive at minus 40 degrees F wind chill to be able to get to road and fell down hard on some glare ice...nothing broken, very sore :mad: and need to move out of this winter wonderland soon!!!

Then drove into town with DW and DD to do a ton of errands, and had a disturbing senior moment in which I purchased three crabs instead of two that we'd decided on.

img_762391_0_7b52892333675224839d684c4fd89c60.jpg

Hey Al, aren't you supposed to pick the crab out of the shell? And you didn't have a senior moment, just a hungry moment. :)

Ha

.....I'm one of those people that won't exercise just to exercise but don't mind doing hard work if it's a by-product.

.......then "watched" a hockey game on tv before time to walk the dogs. Watching tv in the afternoon is code for taking a nap at my house.
Yeah, I'm not into 'exercising' (though I probably should be...but that's another story...), but working my tail off out in the gardens & landscape is exercise that I thoroughly enjoy...all the bending, stretching, lifting, [-]falling,[/-] walking hither & yon, carrying, etc. to me is very enjoyable exercise, and the end results of it all can be enjoyed further when I plop down totally exhausted into my patio chair, and survey what my grubby little mitts have accomplished.....lots o' pretty flowers & yummy veggies!!!

But I'm not doing any of that right now....it's now up to 0° with a steady 20 mph wind, gusting to 28 mph. Instead I just got done doing spoon lifts (had some yummy split pea soup) and elbow bends & jowl stretches (also had a small burger with pepperjack cheese). I'm getting ready to go into the living room and do some [-]sit ups[/-] sit backs in my Lazyboy to read a little, and "watch" TV! :D
Then drove into town with DW and DD to do a ton of errands, and had a disturbing senior moment in which I purchased three crabs instead of two that we'd decided on. I even had DD right there saying "Hey, Dad we were going to get two crabs" but somehow was thinking that three crabs would give us 2/3's of a crab each.
I like crab meat, but I'm too darn lazy to mess around taking the shells off....so I only have it occasionally.

- did battle with 6" of snow :p, light and fluffy TG
- ran my 'Stang in the driveway. no winter driving allowed for her. :(
- making Toscano Soup a la Olive Garden recipe
- made velvet white bread dough in maker, baked it in oven WOW!
- refilled bird feeder and suet block - made a red headed woodpecker very happy :D
- chilling out and awaiting up to maybe a foot of lake effect snow overnight :eek:

Watched re-runs of Project Runway Australia on Youtube.

-25 wind chill today, so I walked on the boring treadmill, then worked out, while watching the weather channel. At least it's sunny.

img_762562_0_7b52892333675224839d684c4fd89c60.jpg

Daughter kind of cute. She like old men? Heh heh heh. Today, got some stuff done. Washed some clothes, had lunch at Mom's, and finished up my work project for my old company. Will drop it off tomorrow morning and then go do my Christmas shopping. Why do things ahead when you can wait until the last minute?:-\

Now I know why you're named Dawg.

Somehow I think the only old man Al's DD likes is her dad.

Made one trip out of the house, to fill the bird feeders and read the meters.

Cold and windy.

I walked down to Lake Washington. Briefly considered a quick dip, just for the bragging rights, but decided not to.

Stopped on my way home at Trader Joe's and stocked up on kefir and cream and stuff.

I was pretty tired by the time I got home, up and down hills in the snow is tiring. Finished the day seeing the Seahawks win Holmgren's final game and eating some chili in my warm apartment.

It will be an early bedtime for me tonight. :)

Ha

Donned several pounds of winter clothing and ventured out to fill the bird feeder.

Donned several pounds of winter clothing and ventured out to fill the bird feeder.
Same here....my only trip outdoors today! The high was 0° with 20-30 mph winds.....dang it was cold out there!!! :eek:

Oh, and while I was out, I also swept the dusting of snow off the front porch...ain't messing with the rest of the walks or driveway 'til it warms up!

Went to the spa to work for a few hours....sold some gift certificates, made some gift bags, and sang to christmas music :)
Came home, had dinner, relaxed, need to study for my pathology exam.

Can you put up a picture of your sawmill? My grandfather had a mill with a huge circular saw run by a steam engine fueled by bark and scraps. As kids we had tremendous fun diving out onto the sawdust pile. Those things look tricky to operate though. I guess modern ones are better.

If you like, give a little discussion of how the pole is advanced into and through the blade, and how it is controlled.

Ha

Here's a link to a video of the sawmill that I have, you'll probably be disappointed as this is a small bandsaw mill rather than the big, circular blade mills you're talking about! They still make a lot of sawdust though but less with a bandmill because of the thinner blade.

Wood-Mizer Portable Sawmills - LT15 Manual In Action

What the video doesn't show is the work involved with moving logs between cuts- I have tractor to get the log on the bed of the mill, then it's force and leverage to roll the log as you make each cut. Then there's the work involved with stacking and sorting the green, fresh sawn lumber so it can dry before use- usually takes about a year to dry enough to use for furniture and needs to be kept dry with good air circulation. Amazing how heavy a piece of freshly cut oak can be when it's full of water.

If you didn't watch the video, basic idea is that the log is loaded on to the bed of the mill and then the bandsaw & blade itself is mounted on a moving head. The head can be shifted up and down and is positioned where you want the cut, then using a rope/cranking system, the head is moved through the log to make the cut, reposition the log or the mill head, and go again.

I have various stacks around at given points in the drying cycle. I also built a small solar kiln a few years back that I can dry a load of lumber in about 30 days when it's hot- this works well and the temperature gets nearly to 140 degrees in that kiln, has a couple of solar powered attic fans mounted inside to circulate air through the log stack.

Here's a shot of my mill:

img_762695_0_3c89a74d788c9800b00994ea8ce59c8f.jpg

Here's a log after 3 cuts where I'm ready to start cutting off usable lumber. The slabs and scrap I cut are perfect for firewood, I leave it near the mill and my neighbors come and take it home- I don't have a wood burning fireplace but use some in an outdoor firepit. Nice thing about the slabs is they don't have to be split, just cut to length.

img_762695_1_e254af5c3e8365f6071391f3f8f01383.jpg

Here's a shot of the solar kiln, nothing fancy, just an insulated box with plastic panels on top facing south but it works! It's on large timbers so I can move it with the tractor to get the best sun position, I do get some interesting questions from people passing by as to what this black box is for! Wood is stacked on a pallet and loaded from the rear with a tractor.

img_762695_2_31d0359c145fcb16f983ef7940e5a864.jpg

Finally, just to show that I don't just saw logs, but use them, here is a picture of a barn we built for equipment at the framing stage, all the wood used was cut from trees either from my yard or from neighbors- there were still quite a few usable trees laying in large piles near by from when houses were built over the last 5 years- logs that were cleared for the houses and their septic fields so this was a great source of free logs! We ended up buying some green poplar for the siding but otherwise, all oak beams in the barn, some beautiful wood that I hated to used for framing but I have more.

img_762695_3_997532a54867de656eaa1e149ff6c091.jpg

Last picture is a wine cabinet that I made for our dining room with some wood from the yard, it was a lot of fun to make and functional.

img_762695_4_9432aec5f1791bcf9fd12c934717138f.jpg

Thanks for looking if you got this far! If any woodworker in Northern Virginia needs some oak, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom