Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #9521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I made the bed, straightened up the master bathroom, bought groceries and worked out in the yard.

DH read a magazine, puttered around in the garage while drinking a beer, then posed for me in his new m/c jacket.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02983.jpg (500.1 KB, 19 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #9522
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Shoveled for the 3rd time already and it's still coming down. Probably 6" so far. Luckily it's not wet and heavy stuff.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #9523
Moderator Emeritus

We went to the gym and I had a great time - - knocked myself out completing my full routine with the 19 weight machines, and was dripping wet by the time I was done (TMI, I know, but at least I knew I did something). Didn't have to wait for even one machine. After changing and freshening up, we split a chicken caesar wrap for lunch. Then walked around Best Buy, which seemed pretty challenging in itself since my legs already felt like spaghetti from the gym and we didn't skip a single aisle. Didn't buy a thing. Off for a pleasure drive which took us around the Faubourg Marigny and elsewhere while conversing about everything under the sun. Now that I am home, I'm trying to get up the energy to get on my exercycle while I watch the evening news, and after that I'll work on my knitting, and then read until bedtime. This is W2R heaven.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #9524
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from a trip to visit DW and my last trip to the office. My boss hosted a nice retirement party after work at a local watering hole. A lot of colleagues dropped in to say hello and "see you later". It was quite nice. Almost makes me want to go back to w*rk. Well, let's not get carried away....
Old 01-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #9525
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Maybe it takes time. Did I say 84? Try 86.
Think about it -- in the middle of January I'm opening doors and windows to WARM UP the house.
Hey, we do that every January here too!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #9526
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... gave most of my books to the library. They were pleased to get donated books, and were even glad to get outdated technical books...
Donated books to the local public library are often not of use to them, and are often offered for sale at the price of $1 for hardcovers, and $0.50 for softcovers. I often browse these shelves to look for bargain.

One time, found a bunch of engineering books. Obviously, a local geezer gave up his library, or worse, his estate donated the books.

Anyway, I found a good classic, "Antennas" by John Kraus. Of course, I was glad to take out $1 to put in the donation box, and the book was proudly mine!

Went home to put it on the shelves, and what did I see? I already had my own; it was the same textbook I had in school.

It came back to me; I could even recall the course number. Oh my gosh!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #9527
Dryer sheet wannabe

(Thursday) Got up made coffee and breakfast for DW then sent her off to w**k. Started some laundry, emptied the dishwasher, then loaded it, took a few things out of the refig and threw them away (made room for the DW to cook a family dinner on Fri) packed for a over night trip, loaded my truck with stuff to take on my trip, shower, dressed and out the door by 830, picked up two of my sisters and nephew, and headed off on our 3.5 hour trip. Arrived safely. Met my son for lunch and planned out our day. Took my sisters over to my son's place to crash for a little before dinner. Went to a very nice place for dinner, then Kohls, then to my son's place. Got in bed about 11 PM. Very tired. Today (Friday) got up took the sisters to breakfast, went to the Lowes and grocery, To the son's place of business, did a few fixer uppers and then it was time to leave and head home. Dropped the sisters off and got home in time to go back out and get some salad and garlic knots to go with dinner. After a nice dinner, desert and coffee visited a bit and now it is almost 11PM. Good night.`
Old 01-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #9528
Give me a forum ...

Drove a long way to a rummage sale, and I finally got a new base for my electric toothbrush -- $1 instead of $16. And we picked up these two fellows from the dock:

CrabsInPot.jpg

CrabMeat.jpg

This is our second crab dinner since the season opened Sunday. There is nothing like it -- our favorite meal.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #9529
Give me a forum ...

I did my weekly volunteer table bussing last night. My legs do not ache like they did before, so I must be getting conditioned to it. My leg muscles and glueus maxima are really firm now, almost like when I was able to play sports (before carpal tunnel deprived me of that). I feel great.

I made breakfast for Mr B before he hit the books. He spent about 20 minutes reading, said to heck with it, and went for coffee with the guys.
I think he is a bit stalled getting back into full time StudyBug mode.

He joined a shuffleboard league, so we will go to that this afternoon. I may be asked to be a sub, so I want to watch the strategy and make sure I understand the scoring. Several other gals go to watch, so I won't be the only "skirt" there.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #9530
Give me a forum ...

Originally Posted by freebird5825
...while Mr B cracks the books again this semester. He has a course that heavily involves algebra, so I will be his math tutor for that. I'll be using 3 dimensional objects to help him get the concepts down. This oughta be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Gotta say, that would motivate me to move directly to integral calculus.
The last time Mr B took algebra was over 25 years ago. He sort of remembers graphing and functions, but it's very dim.
I have helped math challenged people before, by getting things off the paper and in some sort of 3D form so it is understandable.
I have a flat piece of styrofoam, colored push pins and string to use to graph a simple function of 1 variable, then move on to multivariable functions.
He is a visual learner, so this will w*rk well for him. I taught him binary math by using a 3 switch light control panel in the hallway. Then we went back to the paper and he aced it.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #9531
Give me a forum ...

I mentioned in an earlier post that there are 10 types of people.

0. The type that does not understand binary math.
1. The type that does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
... I taught him binary math...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #9532
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I mentioned in an earlier post that there are 10 types of people.

0. The type that does not understand binary math.
1. The type that does.
Take a big fat 1010 for that one.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #9533
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished laying all of the floor tile for the wet bar. Tomorrow comes the grout. The cabinet guy stopped by with stain samples.

God willing and the creek don't rise, in two weeks the bar will be open!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #9534
Moderator Emeritus

Went to the Barrett Jackson auto auction. I couldnt decide which of these vehicles to bring home.

image-717752303.png

image-1985230815.png

image-1430102020.png
Old 01-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #9535
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Gave blood #178.
Can I hit 200 before I die?
Hit several stores for errands.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #9536

Shoveled the melting ice and snow out to the sidewalk, so I could put out the garbage. Power came back on so made a quick trip to the grocery store to replace the spoiled stuff.

Yesterday, walked to the grocery store and bought fresh veggies for Pasta Fagioli. Cooking by flash light is not my favorite activity, but it turned out great!

-- Rita
Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #9537
Moderator Emeritus

Pretty quiet day-- mostly chatting with spouse, reading, & writing. We're a' fixin' to make a trip to Wal-Mart shortly for some things she needs, so I guess I'd better figure out a list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went to the Barrett Jackson auto auction. I couldnt decide which of these vehicles to bring home.
There'd be a fierce bidding war around here on Hello Kitty.

The others... well... not sure where you'd put the stand-up paddleboard. Does that red monster fold down its rear seats? It'd cost $30 in gas just to back that thing out of the driveway.

Is this a repo auction, or are people deliberately selling their vehicles in hopes of making a profit?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #9538
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Pretty quiet day-- mostly chatting with spouse, reading, & writing. We're a' fixin' to make a trip to Wal-Mart shortly for some things she needs, so I guess I'd better figure out a list.

There'd be a fierce bidding war around here on Hello Kitty.

The others... well... not sure where you'd put the stand-up paddleboard. Does that red monster fold down its rear seats? It'd cost $30 in gas just to back that thing out of the driveway.

Is this a repo auction, or are people deliberately selling their vehicles in hopes of making a profit?
I think hello kitty was a customized Smart car. I don't think the red monster had fold down seats - it had a regular pickup bed (with a cap) behind the back seats. It definitely had room for a few surfboards, but like you said - costs megabucks to fuel the thing. These were part of the vendor exhibits. The auction itself is a bunch of owners selling their vehicles trying to make a buck. The hearse that carried JFK from the Dallas hospital to the airport was part of the auction. A few celebrity cars, and the corvette that John Cusack drove in Conair.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #9539

This morning I went to the library and bought 6 paperback books: $.25 each. Turns out that I already owned one of the books, so I will donate it back to the library and probably end up buying it again next month. It’s a Clive Cussler book. I have four of them (not counting the duplicate) and haven’t read any of them yet. Hope I like Clive Cussler.

Then, it was off to Home Depot. But, on the way I stopped at Macys. I always stop at Macys. Couldn’t find anything for me, but ended up buying a Sean Jean shirt (size 3X ) for a friend. The shirt had been reduced (in price, not in size) about three or four times as far as I could tell.

OK, on to Home Depot. I returned a hose that I bought last week. Turns out we already had two extra hoses in the garage and it seemed silly to have three extra hoses. Anyhow, I succeeded in buying two carbon monoxide detectors (as per samclems’ suggestion. Thank you samclem). I also wanted to buy some sort of flame resistant adhesive tape. They didn’t seem to carry that item, but a clerk suggested I go to an auto parts store because they would have what I was looking for. The auto parts store didn’t have it, but the clerk there told me to go to Home Depot and ask for aluminum adhesive. I did and they didn’t (have that product).

Time to rest on the couch. I fell asleep. The wife wanted to do something in the kitchen and tried to close the sliding kitchen door so as not to wake me up. Well, the door came off its track and she woke me trying to fix it. I tried to fix it, but failed. However, later we notice that one of us, as we were trying to get the door back on the track, scrapped off some paint.

And, this was a pretty good day.

Two weeks ago, the Pittsurgh Steelers lost to the Denver Broncos...THAT was a bad day.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #9540

I'm a new Netflix user and have been glued to Madmen most of the weekend.
Closed Thread