Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 06:24 PM   #2021
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Built Oxalic Acid Vaporizer for beekeeping. I want to be ready for Varroa mites when they bother my girls.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #2022
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
Built Oxalic Acid Vaporizer for beekeeping. I want to be ready for Varroa mites when they bother my girls.
Whoa! Don't try to take that through airport security.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Just got done winterizing the swamp cooler (or evaporative cooler in scientific terms). Job would not be as bad except the swamp cooler is up on the roof, which is a metal roof. Gets very slick when wet. Winterizing means getting it drained of water, removing the mineral encrusted pads, and general cleaning of it inside and out before wrapping it with a cover. So getting wet is part of the process. Not a fun job trying to stand on sloped roof and work while not slipping and potentially falling off the roof.
The guy who helps me sometimes has a son in construction. He was training a young lady who slipped and fell off a tile roof this summer - the injuries were not good. I suggest you buy a safety harness and a strap or a D-ring that you can attach the harness to (possibly at the swamp cooler) so you don't do serious damage. You can get all the parts you need from Amazon.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #2024
Administrator

I spent about 8 hours today painting my living room. We got all new furniture last Saturday, and the young wife picked the color walls she wanted to go with the new furniture. So, I moved all of the new furniture out of the living room, fixed the plaster cracks, taped, painted and moved the furniture back in. The young wife was quite happy with the result, so I am happy.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #2025
Give me a forum ...

No electricity at the farm. New $265 power pole in the yard. The 1951 original gave up the ghost. They just don't make em like they used to - . Spent several hours (Saturday) looking for a Death Certificate to change the name on the electric co-op account from my Wife's parent's name to ours for which we get a $950 credit.

heh heh heh - Juice on Monday according to the electrician.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #2026
Recycles dryer sheets

Celebrated first day of being fully retired! Worked most of the day going through and pitching work-related files, drawings, resource matl's, etc. from home office. Surprised how much there was. Maybe half done, if that. DW admonished me for spending first day of retirement "working". I told her, "This is different. I'm not getting paid for this."
Old 10-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #2027
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Went to a Pink Floyd tribute band concert last night. Not really a fan of tribute bands, but tickets were inexpensive, so what the heck... I'd give the band a "B-" musically, but the laser light show was pretty good.

Perhaps being a guitarist, and having done front-end mixing in the past, makes me overly critical, but the lead guitar was painfully louder than the rest of the band, vocals were so-so, and the band struggled on a couple of tunes. Doesn't help that I saw the real PF three times...
Sadly, even seeing the "real" band is like a tribute band these days. Not many intact groups left from the 60s or 70s. I was thinking of catching Lynyrd Skynyrd this year, but really it's just Gary Rossington and Ronnie's little brother, plus some other guys. I saw Peter Green a few years ago, and it was just some young guys who propped him up in a chair and stuck a guitar on him. Pathetic. The only legit acts from back then (besides the Stones, who are immortal) are individuals like McCartney, or Van Morrison, or Neil Young, who just tour with a group of good musicians. The Allman Brothers were actually (IMO) as good or better in their later incarnation with Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes, but most others of the old bands are shadows of themselves. Not that I blame them. I'm retired, why shouldn't they? At least the ones that are still alive. But I try to stick to newer bands for live shows these days.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:36 AM   #2028
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Just got done winterizing the swamp cooler (or evaporative cooler in scientific terms). Job would not be as bad except the swamp cooler is up on the roof, which is a metal roof. Gets very slick when wet. Winterizing means getting it drained of water, removing the mineral encrusted pads, and general cleaning of it inside and out before wrapping it with a cover. So getting wet is part of the process. Not a fun job trying to stand on sloped roof and work while not slipping and potentially falling off the roof.
Sounds like a good job to hire out. A good friend fell off a roof shoveling snow about 5 years ago and it was a disaster for him. Bad brain injury, ended up mentally disabled and unable to work. He's making progress, but still not the same.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-02-2016, 09:26 AM   #2029
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
......... I suggest you buy a safety harness and a strap or a D-ring that you can attach the harness to (possibly at the swamp cooler) so you don't do serious damage. You can get all the parts you need from Amazon.
Good suggestion. I still do my gutters (Colonial with walkout), but I put a D ring on the peak and bought a harness from eBay for about $75. I way end up swinging, but won't bounce.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #2030
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Sadly, even seeing the "real" band is like a tribute band these days. Not many intact groups left from the 60s or 70s. I was thinking of catching Lynyrd Skynyrd this year, but really it's just Gary Rossington and Ronnie's little brother, plus some other guys. I saw Peter Green a few years ago, and it was just some young guys who propped him up in a chair and stuck a guitar on him. Pathetic. The only legit acts from back then (besides the Stones, who are immortal) are individuals like McCartney, or Van Morrison, or Neil Young, who just tour with a group of good musicians. The Allman Brothers were actually (IMO) as good or better in their later incarnation with Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes, but most others of the old bands are shadows of themselves. Not that I blame them. I'm retired, why shouldn't they? At least the ones that are still alive. But I try to stick to newer bands for live shows these days.

This ^ is why I attend mostly jazz-oriented shows these days. Some of the "classic rock" acts apparently hit the road with minimal practice/rehearsal, and apparently count on tin-earred, nostalgia-starved fans, who can't hear the difference. Glad I saw many in their heyday.

Jeff Beck, Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Return to Forever... All appear to have as good or better chops than in olden times.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Sounds like a good job to hire out. A good friend fell off a roof shoveling snow about 5 years ago and it was a disaster for him. Bad brain injury, ended up mentally disabled and unable to work. He's making progress, but still not the same.
My ladder climbing and roof climbing days are over for that reason. I'm even going to hire a guy to replace the light bulbs on the outside of the house in the back that require using a 25' ladder. There comes a time when it just isn't worth the risk and for me that is now.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #2032
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
My ladder climbing and roof climbing days are over for that reason. I'm even going to hire a guy to replace the light bulbs on the outside of the house in the back that require using a 25' ladder. There comes a time when it just isn't worth the risk and for me that is now.
Good decision, Walt34. Ladders and anticoagulants do not mix well.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #2033
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm 54 and still climb roofs...but am far more selective these days and avoid any with a steep pitch. I'll probably shingle my house myself next year (I've done dozens), but it will be my last one. Actually, it's not the ladder or the height, it's just too hard on my back being bent over for that many hours.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #2034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Good decision, Walt34. Ladders and anticoagulants do not mix well.
Oh, I'm off the anticoagulant now. The cardiac ablation last March seems to have been successful (no afib events at all) so the cardiologist was okay with stopping it.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #2035
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, I'm off the anticoagulant now. The cardiac ablation last March seems to have been successful (no afib events at all) so the cardiologist was okay with stopping it.
Excellent!
Old 10-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #2036
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We've been enjoying tribute bands for many of the same reasons. We saw Brit Floyd (Pink Floyd) this summer and they were great.

We also saw the original group The Fixx and that was a lot of fun. They sounded the same and had a lot of younger followers in the crowd.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
MiG 15 flight
Old 10-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #2037

MiG 15 flight

Got home from our trip yesterday, but still tired. I guess if you are not acclimated to living at 7000 feet, it takes a lot out of you. Also so does getting older
Anyhow, I did finish the little story of my flight. I recently turned 78, and am still flying.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ONE MORE EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME 2016.pdf (125.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #2038

Quote:
Well, in that case might I suggest you get back on 2 wheels.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #2039
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Got home from our trip yesterday, but still tired. I guess if you are not acclimated to living at 7000 feet, it takes a lot out of you. Also so does getting older
Anyhow, I did finish the little story of my flight. I recently turned 78, and am still flying.
I am enjoying living vicariously through your stories, Souschef!
Old 10-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #2040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Well, in that case might I suggest you get back on 2 wheels.
I've thought about it but there have been some other noticeable declines in abilities, such as balance, that make me think that getting another motorcycle might not be a wise decision. I know some guys ride into their 80's but I'm not gonna push my luck that hard. It was fun while I had it, and I still have the memories, but like retirement, "When it's time to hang it up, you'll know".