Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #1141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Drove grandkids to school & home. Met with owner of gardening company and got a new team. (Major cleanup was Saturday so guess that dn count but yard is weeded) Lengthened dress & denim skirt. Picked airline seats for trips I paid for before

Not much
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 12:00 AM   #1142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have a little fledgling bird hopping around the backyard. The parents are feeding it but it can't fly yet. We tried sitting on the patio today but the dog was staring at us all sad from inside the patio door. He can't come out as he tries to hunt the bird and the parent birds were squawking at us from the trees. We have all sorts of cats, raptors, raccoons and even a fox pass through the backyard regularly so I hope he takes off soon before something eats him and we can go back to our afternoon tea time (well actually its beer time) on the patio.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #1143

Its back to winter this morning. About 2 inches overnight. It all melted from the roads so no plowing. That is a good thing because I took the chains and plow off the truck a week ago. It is snowing very lightly so it will be an inside day. I need to lay out the tile for the wood stove and the window people are supposed to show up with some replacement windows and screens that were not made correctly or did not fit the first time.
Flight Review
Old 05-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #1144

Flight Review

Today is my birthday. I soloed on my birthday 44 years ago. Boy, that was a long time ago.
Today I passed my Biennial Flight Review, which permits to fly for another two years before I need another one.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yes, as I tell DW, the objective is to get rid of the stuff... not to maximize profit.... so I price things attractively.
I go to the auto parts swap meet as a seller to sell some of my car parts (car junk according to DW, hahaha). I always say the goal is to go home with a fat wallet and thin truck.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 05-17-2016, 04:03 PM   #1146

I can't win. Just over the pain and soreness from the surgery, and I was (of all things) stomping the trash down in the can while in the garage and managed to fall out of the trash can onto the concrete floor. Now I have a huge welt on my left hip, my left knee is sore, a huge bruise on my left arm, and a blackened left eye. I have no idea how that last one happened.

Sent an email photo of me to DW's nephew with the caption "When your wife wants to redecorate, just say yes". They know us well and will laugh.

Fortunately nothing broken but glad I had some pain meds left over.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #1147

Ouch, Walt34! About the only good thing about it is that it didn't require an ER visit. Hope you feel better before the pain meds run out.

I took Skittles to his obedience training class this morning, then dashed to the funeral of a wonderful pastor who was only 48 years old. Wonderful tribute to a great man.

After lunch, went to BestBuy to get a new DVD player so DH can try out Netflix (the kids gave him a subscription for his birthday). Then grocery shopping, and now catching up with life online before cooking dinner.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #1148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I can't win. Just over the pain and soreness from the surgery, and I was (of all things) stomping the trash down in the can while in the garage and managed to fall out of the trash can onto the concrete floor. Now I have a huge welt on my left hip, my left knee is sore, a huge bruise on my left arm, and a blackened left eye. I have no idea how that last one happened.

Sent an email photo of me to DW's nephew with the caption "When your wife wants to redecorate, just say yes". They know us well and will laugh.

Fortunately nothing broken but glad I had some pain meds left over.
Walt!!! Oh my oh my. Does the blackened left eye mean that you hit your head on the concrete, too? If so, PLEASE please please please go to the ER and get it checked out. I hit my head hard on concrete on July 5th, and like an idiot didn't get it checked out but now wish I had. A bump of the head on concrete at our, uh, mature (?) ages can be dangerous and needs to be checked out IMO.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #1149

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Walt!!! Oh my oh my. Does the blackened left eye mean that you hit your head on the concrete, too? If so, PLEASE please please please go to the ER and get it checked out.
I did lightly hit with the side of my head, no bruising there. As you may recall I'm on meds to reduce blood clotting so it doesn't take much to cause a bruise. Lots of times I'll find a bruise and have no idea what I hit to cause it.

No, I didn't go to the ER and at this point it has been almost 24 hours so if there were going to be any problems they would have shown up by now I'd think. But I and DW are keeping a watch for anything out of the ordinary.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #1150
Moderator Emeritus

Geesh Walt! That was quite an accident. Got you from head to knee. Kick back and mend for a while.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #1151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I did lightly hit with the side of my head, no bruising there. As you may recall I'm on meds to reduce blood clotting so it doesn't take much to cause a bruise. Lots of times I'll find a bruise and have no idea what I hit to cause it.

No, I didn't go to the ER and at this point it has been almost 24 hours so if there were going to be any problems they would have shown up by now I'd think. But I and DW are keeping a watch for anything out of the ordinary.
Be aware that chronic subdural hematoma can develop slowly, over weeks or months, after a minor head injury. Ask DW to watch out for any signs of confusion, and if you develop confusion or headaches, have a CT scan.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdural_hematoma
Old 05-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #1152

Okay, thanks Meadbh.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:08 PM   #1153
Give me a forum ...

Confusion? Okay, headed to the ER now...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #1154
Give me a forum ...

I restarted the effort to rearrange the spare room upstairs. Prior to taking the annual RV trek, I finished pulling the last carpet in the home, laid down laminate flooring in the last rooms, and did the stairs in oak.

Now, I need to put things where they should be permanently. My electronics hobby room is the toughest, because I have a lot of "stuff". It is a bit overwhelming now, as I have been off the mode for a while. Surfin' the Web and BS'ing here on the forum is more fun.

I need to get this done. Maybe y'all will see me less here for a while.

And then, the plan is to spend part of the summer doing the big deck in the high-country home. And there's a trip coming that's pre-planned. Man, can one be too busy in retirement?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #1155

Yesterday I spent 4.5 hours in the dentist chair getting 3 crowns. It was only supposed to take 3 hours but all 3 crowns had to be remade due to technical issues. Didn't realize how much it wiped me out until I woke up from my 20-minute nap almost two hours later.

Today I'm at the RV repair shop getting a couple of things fixed. It took over a month to get the appointment - definite business opportunity. I've been here 3 hours and they said it might be all day. I'd go out for a walk but it's been pouring rain the whole time. Catching up on a pile of magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #1156
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Yesterday I spent 4.5 hours in the dentist chair getting 3 crowns.
Wow, that sounds brutal. I think I spent two hours in the chair once and felt like I'd run a marathon.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #1157
Give me a forum ...

Closed on the sale of a home in Florida. Mixed feelings, at least until I get back to the condo on the beach we bought in March!

Enjoying life!
Old 05-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #1158
Give me a forum ...

Some years ago, I observed that when my parents met with their friends, much of the talk revolved around exchanging stories of health problems, maladies, and treatments.

Darn, us geezers on this forum sound the same. There's no escaping the law of nature, is there?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #1159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Some years ago, I observed that when my parents met with their friends, much of the talk revolved around exchanging stories of health problems, maladies, and treatments.

Darn, us geezers on this forum sound the same. There's no escaping the law of nature, is there?
That's for sure. I've noticed that about myself a lot recently. I'm making it my mid-year resolution to STHU about these things. When I die I want everybody to say "but he was so healthy! Never a complaint." If I was to die now, they'd say "I'm surprised he lasted this long!"
Old 05-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #1160
Give me a forum ...

My mother is quite vocal about her conditions. My mother-in-law who is older, nowhere as much. And my mother is in much better shape than my MIL, being also younger.

I am tempted to exaggerate my ailments every time I see my mother, so that she knows I am having problems too.

Closed Thread