318.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:
First 2016 Sunrise

...and the first sunrise of 2016 listening to the parakeets. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 66
Just came back from a morning walk around the neighborhood. About 1/4 mile from home, saw the aftermath of a possible drunk driving incidence. Some imbecile's car jumped the curb, sheared off a street sign which was now laying in the middle of the street. Skid marks showed he took a left turn at too high a speed, overshot into the curb and narrowly missed a fire hydrant, and a tree. The car's front would be badly dented, but apparently still driveable as it left the scene.

It's too bad that he missed the tree. The world would have gotten rid of a dangerous drunk driver.

Last edited:
Roasted a turkey
Eggplant stuffing
Baked potato
Managed to slice my left hand while deconstructing turkey carcass.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I made soap today. The house is redolent of the rosemary essential oil I used.

:( Stitches?

No stitches. Not painful. Very messy. Just mad at myself for not being careful enough.

Today we started a new batch of mead. Going to add papaya from backyard for second fermentation.

Pretending I'm retired and sitting on the couch playing on the computer.

I know so many of the retirees here do so much more, but today is a "couch duty" type of day!

Today we started a new batch of mead. Going to add papaya from backyard for second fermentation.

Sounds interesting. Let us know how that turns out.

Living in FL has some benefits. How is that working for you?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Pretending I'm retired and sitting on the couch playing on the computer.

I know so many of the retirees here do so much more, but today is a "couch duty" type of day!

That sounds like a good way to spend the day for this retired person.

This thread continues the life of the old "What did you do today?" thread, which had grown too long to easily be loaded.

Thank you, Gumby! This should be very helpful to those members who were having difficulty loading the old thread.

Catching up on all the Downton Abbey episodes the last couple of days--filled in many gaps in the story I had missed. All in preparation for the last season starting tonight.
Yes it is a soap opera but I enjoy it!

Made a quiche with left over stuff from holiday meals--bacon, eggs, cream, cheese, spinach. Dump all in pie shell; bake. YUM!

Did some woodworking, bought some workshop supplies, watched the Bears lose, now watching the Blackhawks

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I got back to my radio restoration project. Among other tasks, I had to rebuild the tuning mechanism in this 50 year old HeathKit SB-301. A good part of the mechanism was in tiny little pieces in the bottom of the case when I started, so I have a bit of work in fabricating new parts, and restoring old ones. Part of the fairly intricate main dial was salvaged with cyanoacrylate (CA) adhesive for the visible parts, and casting the dial hub with an epoxy resin, followed with some mill work.

Today I spent several hours coaxing all the pieces back together and carefully aligning them. The reward is that this thing feels like new when spinning the knob, and the only visible defect is one hairline crack in the main dial (filled with CA).

It's weird and technical, but, hey, I'm retired and don't have to answer to anyone as to how I spend my time! :)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Today I'm up early since the landscaping/tree crew will be arriving soon to get started on my yard. Their estimate is that the work will take a minimum of four days even with a large crew, but it could take longer so I left next week open also. The weather is perfect for this project - - 45F, no rain or wind, and actually fairly pleasant outside.

On Wednesday, Carnival season officially begins so the landscaping project will be completed just in time, before the bigger parades have begun. Mardi Gras will be early this year, on February 9th, and my new home is half a block from a major parade route. So, there will be a dozen or more big parades that we can walk to during the last weeks before Mardi Gras (and on MG, of course). We won't be able to drive anywhere during the parades due to the huge crowds, but we'll have fun and will be among the lucky few who can just walk home afterwards.

Last edited:
you mean those still running Win95? :D

Some members mentioned that this thread loaded very slowly for them especially on tablets.

Personally I have a brand new high end Windows 10 laptop, which I love and which I can afford these days. So, I have no difficulty with the thread myself. However, I remember quite well those days when I shopped for computers by price and I can sure relate to how irritating a slow loading thread can be. :) Also, tablets seem to be gaining popularity.

In any case, it isn't a problem for me (as a member) to have the thread divided into two after so many posts, and I don't imagine this could possibly inconvenience anybody.

Last edited:
I agree... no big deal... I was just surprised as i had not had any issues with the old thread loading slowly on either my laptop or my tablet or even my phone for that matter.

I just noticed this new version of Old Faithful which, if I'm not mistaken, was started by Khan and garnered a heck of a lot of views. That makes sense, as it's such a relevant topic to how people go about spending their valuable time in early retirement. Probably the hands-down winner in clicks-per-day!

Thanks, Khan!

I just noticed this new version of Old Faithful which, if I'm not mistaken, was started by Khan and garnered a heck of a lot of views. That makes sense, as it's such a relevant topic to how people go about spending their valuable time in early retirement. Probably the hands-down winner in clicks-per-day!

Thanks, Khan!

Yes, thanks Khan!!! I love this thread. :D We plan to make sure the old part of this thread is easily available for everyone, since many of us enjoy browsing through the older posts. It had 19090 replies, and well over a million views.

Last edited:
I agree... no big deal... I was just surprised as i had not had any issues with the old thread loading slowly on either my laptop or my tablet or even my phone for that matter.

Also our techie types said it slowed the server down, or might, or something along those lines. At any rate, the team decided that it needed to be divided as has been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom