Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #2161

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Meanwhile, it is dark as night right now at 4:45 PM, thundering and raining hard. I really enjoyed today. Another serene Saturday here in South Louisiana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You might want to take a look at your calendar...
Well, she's been retired for what, eight years now, and you expect anyone who has done that to know what day of the week it is? And besides, when you're retired "every day is Saturday".
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #2162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Well, she's been retired for what, eight years now, and you expect anyone who has done that to know what day of the week it is? And besides, when you're retired "every day is Saturday".
There, that's my excuse!!! It's just another serene Saturday in retirement, even though technically I suppose it's Monday.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #2163
Moderator Emeritus

DW had a TEE test done at the local hospital this morning to get better images of her newly found leaking Mitral valve in her heart.

Quote:
An echocardiogram (echo) uses ultrasound to create pictures of your heart's movement. A transesophageal echo (TEE) test is a type of echo that uses a long, thin, tube (endoscope) to guide the ultrasound transducer down the esophagus (“food pipe” that goes from the mouth to the stomach).
So we saw the images and she will be undergoing a Mitral Valve Clip procedure to shut off the leak. Nice stuff and can be done without ripping apart her chest, which is not recommended due to her other ailments.

It's going to be a long, hot summer.

My meniscus repair of the right knee is 3 weeks old now and all is good. I think I need to buy some good knee pads in case I decide to get stupid again.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #2164
Moderator Emeritus

Did some woodworking, and crashed my drone into a tree while simultaneously kayaking.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #2165
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today I plan to stay clean and dry all day. It will be a bit of a treat-- between river guiding and my own adventures, I've spent most of the day wet and/or muddy for the last seven days. It's fun but I was starting to feel a bit feral.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #2166
Give me a forum ...

Finally have the new washer and dryer up and running. Plumber was here yesterday for 6 hours getting the drain pipe up to date. He ripped out the wall and showed us the old piping--it was in the shape of a "W" run between studs--how in the heck did that happen? Our old washer has always had a drain problem and the new HE high-powered one just blew the water back at us!
He installed new piping and moved the hot/cold pipes--all updated. Now waiting for the bill to come in the mail.....
Old 07-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #2167
Give me a forum ...

Sump pump just died.......wouldn't have noticed but it had thrown the breaker, which is connected to the doorbell, and our neighbor said "Your bell's not working".

We've been intending to replace the bathroom sink/faucets, so we have a call in to the guy who's done work for us previously...may as well get both done.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 07-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #2168
Administrator

Took my brother to the SSA office yesterday to help him sign up. It was crowded, and we were there for about 3 1/2 hours. Then we went out to lunch for hot dogs.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #2169
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today I bought my first three ounces of Gold. I plan to do it again weekly throughout the summer up to about 35 ounces...the fallback plan for my fallback plan.

(Edit: I just realized that today is also my three-year retirement anniversary - 7-11-14 was the day!)
Old 07-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #2170

My husband and I finished our fourth trellis. This is the last trellis to be made. After that it took two of us to anchor this trellis in the garden. It's a huge trellis.

While he was putting together the trellis, I made chicken soup from leftovers chicken and vegs, kale salad with black beans. I plan to eat healthy so I can shed some pounds. Tonight it will be fish for dinner. I will be so healthy after this. I can't wait to get rid of these mirrors I have that makes me look taller and thinner than I actually am.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #2171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Finally have the new washer and dryer up and running. Plumber was here yesterday for 6 hours getting the drain pipe up to date. He ripped out the wall and showed us the old piping--it was in the shape of a "W" run between studs--how in the heck did that happen? ...
Well, for a drain you absolutely want (and code will require) a "U" in the pipe. This forms a water trap which will keep sewer gas odors from entering the house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_(plumbing)

A "W" would be two "U"'s - maybe the original plumber was being extra careful. Or forgetful?

-ERD50
Old 07-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #2172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Monday! Monday! ...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #2173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, I love that song! But today is Tuesday.

"Tuesday, Tuesday..."?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #2174

Quote:
Yes, I love that song! But today is Tuesday.

"Tuesday, Tuesday..."?
Well then:

Old 07-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #2175

Get ready ...

Old 07-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #2176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
Today I bought my first three ounces of Gold. I plan to do it again weekly throughout the summer up to about 35 ounces...the fallback plan for my fallback plan.

(Edit: I just realized that today is also my three-year retirement anniversary - 7-11-14 was the day!)
Congratulations on the anniversary!

We went for an early walk(6:00am) around the neighborhood this morning. Seems to help DW with early morning anxiety.

A few hundred yards from the house and a large doe is standing in front of us. I thought it might have fawns, but it disappeared into the scrub oak before we saw them.

A while further a big black bear was lumbering away from us through the neighborhood. He was a speedster, as long as he was running away! As we went around the corner he was stil cutting through back yards! He found open space and ran up a hill.

As we came around toward home another, doe was watching us.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #2177
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
FB_IMG_1499797903301.jpg
Old 07-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #2178
Gone but not forgotten

20170711_105427.jpg
Old 07-11-2017, 04:58 PM   #2179
Gone but not forgotten

Got a house delivered.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:58 PM   #2180

I returned 2 days ago from our epic west coast college tour/vacation. Along the way we toured 9 universities, shared in a friends wedding vow renewal, visited friends in San Francisco, Berkeley, Portland, and Bainbridge Island. Went white water rafting on the Rogue River. Ziplined above Pinot grapes in Paso Robles... and put a LOT of miles on a rental mini van.

Yesterday I did laundry. A lot of laundry. Also started tackling the weeds in the yard. (Unlike Fedup - we came home to giant weeds AND giant zucchini)

Today I took the boys to Spiderman. And now I need to weed some more.
Closed Thread