Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:02 AM   #341
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Wow, a Glock 37 has heated seats?
Fire off a magazine, put it in your back pocket. Heated seat.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #342
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
What's the drink of choice for a tenth anniversary in retirement?
Coffee flavored Patron.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:48 AM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
Fire off a magazine, put it in your back pocket. Heated seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Wow, a Glock 37 has heated seats?
No Glocks here... I'm a Beretta or 1911 kinda guy
Old 01-31-2017, 11:40 AM   #344
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The beagle and I bagged our first goose this morning. ETA: Of course when I got the dog and goose out of the truck to go into the house, a done-up blonde woman was pushing a stroller down the block and spotted me. I got the, "holy crap, there are rednecks in the neighborhood!" stare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0571.jpg (813.3 KB, 33 views)
Reflections on my first month of FIRE
Old 01-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #345

Reflections on my first month of FIRE

My first calendar month complete. Some observations:

I am not bored. At all.

I set my alarm M-F for 9:00 and reserve the right to get up, hit snooze (as mony times as I want) or shut it off.

I think I have shut it off once, maybe twice and went back to sleep. Got up before it went off a few times also.

That "Saturday" feeling of waking up, thinking "Hmm, what do I want to do today" followed by " Hmmm, do I want to get out of bed now or later?" ... is amazing. Every day.

I am a bit more "routine" focused M-F but like to leave the weekend days open as I always have and am much more amenable to doing social things with my DW than I used to be when I was w*orking.

In conversation with family and friends, I say "I used to work" a lot.

DW still works. I do maybe 20-40 minutes of housework a day. Make the bed fold the some laundry and either vacuum, or just move the vacuum cleaner to another spot . She is happy. If she comes home to the smell of something cooking, she is THRILLED.

DW goes from work to exercise on Fridays, and I am starting a trend of cooking a really nice meal and having a glass of wine ready for her when she gets home. Getting huge mileage out of that.

Discovered Wegman's and while I always liked to cook, I used to just have too many other higher priority things that I wanted to do.

Mid morning weekdays is by far the best time to go to the grocery store.

Our dogs love me. M-F we try to go walk in the woods/park trails 1-2 miles every day after lunch. Challenging in the New England winter, ice spikes on the boots were needed most days this month. As soon as they see me grab my hiking boots, they go nuts.... then take naps when we get back.

I nap when we get back sometimes.

I have found that a day spent doing lots of different things, some "productive", some not, is best. Even the stuff I like to do the most, I start to lose interest in after a few hours.

I find that all of those little "annoyance" projects/jobs that you used to tell yourself that you would never get to, are now perfect distractions and give me a great sense of achievement.

I have finally started a major bathroom renovation that we have talked about, and stashed money away for, for 3 years now.

Having the house, picked up, clean and clutter free is far more important to me now. I truly enjoy spending time here.

Dogs are great company when you are home alone all day.

Managing finances, severance pay, unemployment, tracking spreadsheets is a bit of a chore, but, again, 30 mins at a time is not that bad and I expect it to decrease over time somewhat.

I got my first unemployment check today (I was technically laid off a month before I was going to retire anyway, got a severance and a bonus. Truly lucky.)

So far, this is as least as good as I thought it would be.

Similar thoughts from other recent FIRE'S? Others?
Old 01-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #346
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
I set my alarm M-F for 9:00...
Until you realize the folly of that particular habit you can't consider yourself to be truly retired.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Until you realize the folly of that particular habit you can't consider yourself to be truly retired.
Well I do it because I am a bit of night owl, seldom in bed before midnight and I am very capable of sleep right through to 10:30-11:00 and I want to at least give myself the option of getting up at 9-ish if I want.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #348
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I set my alarm M-F for 9:00
"What's an 'alarm', Daddy?"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-31-2017, 02:31 PM   #349
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well I do it because I am a bit of night owl, seldom in bed before midnight and I am very capable of sleep right through to 10:30-11:00 and I want to at least give myself the option of getting up at 9-ish if I want.
I do the same thing. I think a lot of retirees who scoff at alarm clocks have spouse, kid, pet to awaken them at a regular time, but I don't.

I set my alarm for 9 AM usually, but earlier for a few days if I am going to get up early for something important (like my dentist appointment last Monday).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-31-2017, 02:36 PM   #350
Give me a forum ...

I don't set an alarm unless I need to get up early for a flight or an early appointment. I tend to wake earlier as I get older, anyway. I am fortunate to live overlooking countryside, so I can leave the blinds open and wake with the dawn. Or earlier.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #351

My alarm clock is 8 lbs. of fluffy white happiness who is ready for our walk by 7:30 every day.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:34 PM   #352
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
My alarm clock is 8 lbs. of fluffy white happiness who is ready for our walk by 7:30 every day.
The only down side to that model of alarm clock is they don't come equipped with a snooze button!
Old 01-31-2017, 03:37 PM   #353
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The only down side to that model of alarm clock is they don't come equipped with a snooze button!
But that model of alarm clock is so huggable! I can guarantee you that I *never* hug my present alarm clock.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:05 PM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
The beagle and I bagged our first goose this morning. ETA: Of course when I got the dog and goose out of the truck to go into the house, a done-up blonde woman was pushing a stroller down the block and spotted me. I got the, "holy crap, there are rednecks in the neighborhood!" stare.
Were you out on the prairie? I went down to Fowler, in SE Colorado for lunch with friends from high school and junior college. Had a great time, but it is dry and warm down there. It was in the high 60s and I am sure got up into the 70s in the afternoon.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #355

DH has been having trouble getting in/out of our Corolla so he's been talking about trading that in for something that sits higher. We stopped at the local Toyota dealer to look yesterday and went back today for a test drive. Four hours later we came home with a RAV4. It's got more electronic gadgets than my little 2011 Corolla and I think I'll like that.

I told DH that we have to add a hitch receptacle for a bike rack because the racks I have won't work on the back end of the RAV4. For my birthday next month I'm going to ask for a roof rack to carry kayaks. It wasn't feasible with the Corolla but now that I have an SUV I might as well use it properly
Old 01-31-2017, 04:13 PM   #356
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
DH has been having trouble getting in/out of our Corolla so he's been talking about trading that in for something that sits higher. We stopped at the local Toyota dealer to look yesterday and went back today for a test drive. Four hours later we came home with a RAV4. It's got more electronic gadgets than my little 2011 Corolla and I think I'll like that.

I told DH that we have to add a hitch receptacle for a bike rack because the racks I have won't work on the back end of the RAV4. For my birthday next month I'm going to ask for a roof rack to carry kayaks. It wasn't feasible with the Corolla but now that I have an SUV I might as well use it properly
Congratulations! I hope it is a great SUV for you. I love having an SUV, and like your DH I think we would both have trouble getting in and out of a regular car these days (due to age, arthritis, etc, in our case).

Old 01-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #357

First day on skis in nearly a year. Glorious sunshine, loads of snow (74 inch base) and no wind. Couldn't be much better (well, maybe a little fresh powder).

I can't do it all day like I used to, but 3-4 hours are just a delightful treat. For an old codger with arthritic hips, that's as good as it gets. Skiing is also a lot cheaper when you get over 70. Most resorts offer a hefty discount at that age.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I helped the start of the restoration of a 23 ton switch engine donated to our Railroad Society. It had sat in the Bay ASrea for 40 years, and is in rough shape
Worked on a ballast crew at age 18 - lead tamper.
Hardest. Physical. Job. of my life. Stuck it out until basic training. after gandy job, basic training was a chip shot.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I hear you. Fish and game are almost always more humane than what folks buy at the store (and infinitely better tasting and more nutritious).
Old 01-31-2017, 04:23 PM   #360
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Were you out on the prairie? I went down to Fowler, in SE Colorado for lunch with friends from high school and junior college. Had a great time, but it is dry and warm down there. It was in the high 60s and I am sure got up into the 70s in the afternoon.
On the Platte near Kersey. It was 20s when I got there at dawn, but 50F when we left at 11.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Closed Thread