Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #1161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
.......Then I went to have my hair cut and died. ..........
You seem to have recovered.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #1162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You seem to have recovered.
Thank you. I fixed it.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #1163

Yesterday I had an oil pressure gauge put in the Jeep. The engine for that year is known to have issues with oil pressure. It was supposed to take about 1.5 hours. I was there all day. They ended up taking the top half of the engine off to get to the fitting that they used connect the gauge. Seems that it had been moved from the previous model of engine. The owner charged me $150. I told him it wouldn't be right for them to install custom parts and not charge for their labor and I wanted to make sure the mechanic got paid so I asked him to at least add $100. (This was really getting weird.) Then on the drive home I started to think about it and I didn't think I had paid for the parts either. I checked and sure enough I hadn't paid for the parts which from Amazon were almost $200. This morning I called him and told him that I hadn't paid for the parts either and I wanted to make sure the mechanic got paid for his work on my Jeep. I really had to work to get the whole story out of him. In retrospect I think he was having a great time seeing how far he could string me along. It turns out that the parts were considered "scratch and dent" and he had gotten his money out of them. I think the shipping company probably paid for them. He was just passing the savings on to his customer. The supplier had a 1.5 hour install time for the gauge installation and that is what he had listed on his invoice for my bill. That would have been close if they didn't tear the engine down. He said he was getting the listed installation shop hours corrected with the supplier. Knowing him, he was also going to get some of the labor from the supplier for the incorrect installation time. Anyway, for a day of hanging around waiting for the Jeep to be done, I wound up not spending about $550! Not a bad retirement day effort! And to top it off it was a very nice day!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #1164
Give me a forum ...

Went fishing and the cats and ling were biting good. Checked on my turkey blind and did a little scouting for tomorrow morning opener.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #1165
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh no, Aja8888! Try to rest with it elevated, and ice it too. I hope it improves soon. Between that, and all your recent dental work, and your DW's health problems, this has not been a good spring for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Aja8888, I pinched something in my knee a couple of years ago and was in major pain. The orthopedic doc told me to take an Aleve every day. I have done that and it is good unless I am up and down ladders all day. Then it flares up.
W2R, I have been icing it and trying to not do anything that would add to the damage (twisting my leg). I have a good knee brace on it but it's not getting any better. But, then again, old men don't heal fast so I am not surprised.

Tried to get a doctor appointment with DW's knee doc and the earliest I can get in is 4/25.

Hermit, thanks for the Aleve tip. One of my friends said the same and tomorrow I will start on it.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #1166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you. I fixed it.

You're lucky! Most of mine has died...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-08-2017, 05:38 AM   #1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
W2R, I have been icing it and trying to not do anything that would add to the damage (twisting my leg). I have a good knee brace on it but it's not getting any better. But, then again, old men don't heal fast so I am not surprised.

Tried to get a doctor appointment with DW's knee doc and the earliest I can get in is 4/25.

Hermit, thanks for the Aleve tip. One of my friends said the same and tomorrow I will start on it.
aja, It's only been a week. Take the Aleve and stay off it (don't "try" to stay off it) as much as possible. I know you are active but you've got to give it a rest. Don't worry about "things" getting done because they will still be there at a later date. Speedy recovery!
Old 04-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #1168
Moderator Emeritus

yard work with a controlled burn
Old 04-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #1169

Catching up after a very pleasant two-night RV trip to Fredericksburg for some wine tasting, wildflowers, German food and retail therapy (DH skipped the latter). Beautiful spring weather! Photos here are from Wildseed Farms which is a wildflower seed producer (plus a general nursery, gift shop, and entertainment venue). The red flowers are Red Corn Poppies, planted in honor of the 100th anniversary of WWI. The others are bluebonnets.

IMG_7293.jpg

IMG_7298.jpg

IMG_7295.jpg
Old 04-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #1170
Moderator Emeritus

Absolutely beautiful, MBAustin!!! I remember those Texas wildflowers from back when I lived in College Station, and would see them near the highways when driving to Austin. They are amazing and unforgettable.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #1171

Beautiful! I love red poppies. There are several types of poppies I saw in UK as well.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #1172
Give me a forum ...

No flowers here...the ground is still frozen in spots.

It snuck up to 19C today, so I did a couple hours of spring cleaning...put the window screens back on, patio furniture back on the deck, bit of garage cleaning, etc.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #1173
Give me a forum ...

Interesting fact: it is technically illegal to grow poppies, as you would be growing the raw material for opiate production.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 04-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #1174

I think that's a different poppies. More bulbous in the middle. It's papaver somiferum. I love that one too, especially the bright red ones.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaver_somniferum
Old 04-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #1175

Went to a FFA plant and succulent sale locally. We debated whether to get breakfast first, but decided to go to the sale first. Good idea! They were selling brisket burritos there
We bought a beautiful large pot with a variety of succulents and have it on our front porch.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #1176
Administrator

I took my roadster for an emissions test, went to the dry cleaners, bought topsoil and strawberry plants, brought home lunch for the young wife, built a new raised bed, planted strawberries, fertilized the blueberries and laurel, filled the propane tank for the grill, went to the grocery and came home to make dinner. It's a lot for one day. I'm looking forward to stretching these types of activities over a few days in retirement.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I took my roadster for an emissions test, went to the dry cleaners, bought topsoil and strawberry plants, brought home lunch for the young wife, built a new raised bed, planted strawberries, fertilized the blueberries and laurel, filled the propane tank for the grill, went to the grocery and came home to make dinner. It's a lot for one day. I'm looking forward to stretching these types of activities over a few days in retirement.
I envy you. I am still after 8 years of retirement too organized. When I have to go to Ventura, 10 miles away, I try to plan to do a number of things there.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #1178

We had our first 60 degree day of the year.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #1179
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I envy you. I am still after 8 years of retirement too organized. When I have to go to Ventura, 10 miles away, I try to plan to do a number of things there.
We do live right in the middle of town, so most things are nearby.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #1180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think that's a different poppies. More bulbous in the middle. It's papaver somiferum. I love that one too, especially the bright red ones.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaver_somniferum
If it isn't a California poppy, it is illegal. Among the lunatic set that does the poppy tea thing, there are a wide variety of types that are grown for extra-curricular purposes at varying strength levels. I believe "hen and chicks" is infamously strong.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Closed Thread