What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco, grocery store, Home Depot, liquor store, picked up a headlight bulb for my car, gassed up, etc.

Congrats on your retirement! I'm surprised your dogs let you sleep in that late, ours get us up between 5 am and 6 am every morning!

Thirty-some years ago the then-wife and I had two dogs and I worked rotating shift work. The dogs knew better than to wake me up when I was sleeping during the day - I got grouchy with them. But if I was half-asleep, I could hear one or both come into the bedroom and rest a chin on the side of the bed and stare for a moment. If I kept my eyes closed and breathing even, I'd hear long sigh and they'd pad out of the bedroom. But if I so much as cracked an eyelid they were all over jumping around (they weren't allowed to actually get on the bed) in effect saying "Okay, you're awake, time to get up and let us outside!"

One has to be a dog owner to appreciate the humor in this.

My border Collie, if I was asleep and he wanted to go outside, would very very lightly touch my bare arm with his wet nose.....didn't make a sound.

I just got in from plowing roads. I put in between 4 & 5 hours. It was -12 this morning. Now about 18. Actually a nice day all in all.

I used to tell people that ours did our tax returns.

Our last neighbor was a rural postal carrier and owned his own right hand drive Jeep Wrangler. They also owned a well trained border.

The dog loved to ride sitting up in the front seat of the Wrangler. Even though I knew what side the driver would be on that dog always appeared to be driving the Jeep. After getting to know the dog a little I thought, yeah he could drive!

Costco run this morning - I was correct that the chilly day (it's been about 30 all day, which is true winter for Austin) would keep the crowds down. Happy that the contact lens solution and dishwasher detergent I needed were on sale this month, not happy that they no longer carry my favorite kitchen sponges Scotch-Brite® Stay Clean Scrub Sponge. Then picked up yarn on sale at Michaels for a prayer shawl and neon Post-Its from Office Depot for a project. Finally dropped off two Amazon returns (unwanted Christmas presents) at the UPS Store.

After lunch, finished up the LED conversion project by taking all 6 bulbs and shades out of the breakfast room fixture and removing a large harvest of dead insect parts. Replaced bulbs with the LEDs and it's really bright now! Prepped swiss steak for dinner - it's been in the oven for over an hour and smells yummy. Perfect with a nice red for a cold winter's night.

Carefully drove thru the slush and worked 5 hrs at the local food bank. There but for the grace of God....

Practiced two new line dances for a show our Lifelong Learning group is doing in a couple of weeks. Fun stuff, and the music is great - Reggae Cowboy and Boot Scootin' Boogie.

Chained to my desk for most of the rest of the day working on our 2017 travel plans. Confirmed a lot of reservations by day's end, so there's that.

Currently preparing to open our weekly bottle of wine, watch a Great Courses DVD on the history of opera, then prepare garlic saute'd salmon with roasted balsamic Brussels sprouts for dinner.

Brought my "winter project" home today to get it in my garage so I can sort out the running issues to get it back on the road. She was in the estate of a friend's FIL and this was the last asset left to sell. She looks like an older restoration was done about 5 years ago.

1971 Super Beetle.

IMG_20170106_150416.jpg

IMG_20170106_150359.jpg

Nice.

Brought my "winter project" home today to get it in my garage so I can sort out the running issues to get it back on the road. She was in the estate of a friend's FIL and this was the last asset left to sell. She looks like an older restoration was done about 5 years ago.

1971 Super Beetle.

Looks like a fun project. Keep us posted on the progress.

Congrats on your retirement! I'm surprised your dogs let you sleep in that late, ours get us up between 5 am and 6 am every morning!

Well I am spoiled. My DW gets up around 7:00, lets them out and feeds them, then let's them into our bedroom (they sleep in the laundry room, door closed) where they "greet" me at the side of the bed and then are usually content to nap for another couple hours without bothering me. She heads off to you-know-where.......!!

1971 Super Beetle.

View attachment 25240

View attachment 25241

Nice! My VWs are bit older, a '57 and a '51. Those Supers are good drivers though, although if fuel injected, they can be pretty finicky.

My border Collie, if I was asleep and he wanted to go outside, would very very lightly touch my bare arm with his wet nose.....didn't make a sound.

We have had 3 BC's, out latest is very, very mellow for a BC, but an avid frisbee dog. But they have ALL done the "nose bump" when they want your attention. He lets me sleep, but will pop up, front paws on the bed if he want's attention.

Nice! My VWs are bit older, a '57 and a '51. Those Supers are good drivers though, although if fuel injected, they can be pretty finicky.

Thanks! I'll post the progress.

You should post a picture of the older VW's.

This is, I think, the first year of the SB. It has the better front suspension, a flat windshield, flat dash, horizontal spare tire storage and has a dual port 1600 CC engine with a Solex 34 PICT -3 carb.

If my memory serves me right, I had a 74 SB in the early 1980's when my youngest was born. I had several 60's Beetles "way back when" and a 1970 VW Bus for a while too.

One of the science museums in our area has a special event night on the first Friday of every month so we went there for our Friday night out. Tonight's theme was the ocean. We attended a talk by a woman who wrote a book about dolphins, a talk by a marine archaeologist who studies underwater WWII wreckage, plus we saw a show in the megadome theater on dark matter, which is apparently streaming through me as I write this.

Went in to my office for the last time and packed up my stuff which I was too lazy to do before Christmas. Since the office is being closed down, I also tagged a couple of filing cabinets, a new office chair for DW and enough stationary supplies to last DD1 and DD2 for the year.

Thanks! I'll post the progress.

You should post a picture of the older VW's.

This is, I think, the first year of the SB. It has the better front suspension, a flat windshield, flat dash, horizontal spare tire storage and has a dual port 1600 CC engine with a Solex 34 PICT -3 carb.

If my memory serves me right, I had a 74 SB in the early 1980's when my youngest was born. I had several 60's Beetles "way back when" and a 1970 VW Bus for a while too.

But were there flowers painted on it?? :D

We had a fuel injected one. Bad evil, best thing to happen was when it blew up and was replaced with a carb model.

Last night I cut my future cell phone bills by more than half and got a free phone, by switching from Verizon to Cricket (after 17 years with Verizon). Cricket is not the cheapest service out there, but it is cheap enough and it seems like the best match for me overall.

Bored in retirement? :ROFLMAO: Not me. There's always something new going on.

Went to the Pampered Pallet for breakfast yesterday. 2.7 km walk one way. Fabulous meal for 90 pesos with smoothie and tip.

Last night a friend's place for dinner. Amazing veal (not chops), Broiled bacon wrapped asparagus, double baked potatoes. Baileys after dinner. Planning for next Europe trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom