Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #2181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our plan was to go vote then head to the gym. But after waiting in line for an hour to vote, I was hungry. So we came home for lunch and will head to the gym later. We were #573 and #574 to vote in our district.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #2182
Recycles dryer sheets

For the past couple of weeks two of our three toilets were making a whistling noise when the tank was filling. I finally decided to replace the innards of all three. That led to the usual four trips to the hardware store:

First trip to buy what I thought I needed (this is just a simple project).

Second trip to buy what I actually needed (who knew that there are different size flappers?).

Third trip to buy parts to replace what I broke (hose from the wall to the tank started leaking when I tried to reattach it).

Fourth trip to return the unused and unneeded parts (keep those receipts!).

Fortunately we live just six blocks from Home Depot!

Brian
Old 11-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #2183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Worked on photos from my recent trip down South. Baked a loaf of fresh bread

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #2184
Give me a forum ...

Spending one last day at the beach prior to flying home to light snow and freezing rain.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #2185
Moderator Emeritus

Walked the dog this afternoon and forgot to spray myself for mosquitoes. Got bit on the back of my hand. I wish it would get cool/cold here to end this stuff. Today it was in the mid 80's.

Plus, it's been raining about every three days and the place is like a swamp, breeding those little biters.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
after waiting in line for an hour to vote
Sometimes I feel really lucky to live where I do.

This morning I had to stand in line for nearly a minute, and that's the longest in the last 30 years.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #2187
Moderator Emeritus

It's been a rainy day, here in New Orleans. We dashed in to vote between rainstorms, after zipping into the absolute best parking spot there due to amazing luck. When we got inside, we discovered that there were only 4-5 people ahead of us in line for our precinct.

Apparently many more had voted earlier, before the rains started. They had completely run out of the cute "I Voted" stickers like we got in 2016 and which I attached below. By 2 PM when we got there, they were just giving out handwritten notes if needed.

Then we went to lunch and I virtuously had just a small Caesar salad and water to drink. By the time we got home, the rainstorms were in full force. It's nice and cozy inside, listening to the rain. Makes me glad I am retired and don't have to go out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0811.jpg (10.6 KB, 229 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #2188
Give me a forum ...

Did some painting and woodwork, voted, had lunch, hit the grocery for simple supper items to watch the election results tonight.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #2189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Our plan was to go vote then head to the gym. But after waiting in line for an hour to vote, I was hungry. So we came home for lunch and will head to the gym later. We were #573 and #574 to vote in our district.
Didn't have to wait an hour, but I was very surprised to see the parking lot at our the school where we vote completely full at 3pm. When I left, cars were circling as they waited for spaces to open up.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #2190
Gone but not forgotten

We voted and then went for breakfast at one of those places where the waitress calls you Hun a lot .
Old 11-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #2191

Went for breakfast at a new bagel shop and it was great. Tried to get a flu shot at Kroger but they had just given their last dose. I had tried another Kroger yesterday but that line was too long. I decided to try CVS after voting but had forgotten our state offers free flu shots at the polls, so two birds with one stone. Met brother, SIL, and her out of town friend at a brewery for lunch, and since friend is a beer geek they also came over for homebrew.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:02 AM   #2192
Full time employment: Posting here.

Visiting my still working brother. We really enjoy eachothers company. And he enjoys me making dinner for when he gets home.

In the evening we relax watching netflix - different shows so headphones on. This must be the future they talk about!
Old 11-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #2193

We moved into a house on a couple of acres a while ago and I wasn't sure when the septic tank had last been emptied. So I called a pumping company to come out and do it today.

I got up early and went out back of the house to dig out the access hole on the top of the tank. Wet, heavy clay soil made that not a lot of fun. Still, it was exactly where the deed paperwork said it would be, so that at least was something.

Pumper truck never showed up all morning but came shortly after lunch. He said our system is in decent shape and twenty minutes and $210 later it was all done. For him. I then had to shovel all the clay back in the hole and put the grass back down.

Now, I'm just trying to figure out how to wash my boots off in this new fangled boot washer the previous owner had installed in the downstairs bathroom.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181108_134904.jpg (66.4 KB, 41 views)
Old 11-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #2194
Recycles dryer sheets

Slaughtered my last pumpkin. Got 25 cups of pulp. Made two loaves of pumpkin bread. This farmin life is hard!
Old 11-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #2195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choices View Post
Slaughtered my last pumpkin..........
Bullet between the eyes?
Old 11-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #2196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choices View Post
Slaughtered my last pumpkin. Got 25 cups of pulp. Made two loaves of pumpkin bread. This farmin life is hard!
We normally throw out the pulp and bake the seeds using a recipe my daughter has had since she was about 10!
Old 11-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #2197
Give me a forum ...

Today we had the house air ducts cleaned. Not sure if it's a ripoff or a partial. It is very dusty in this house, despite having a couple other air filters running 24x7. It's a newer house, and neither of the prior two owners lived here very long. I'm sure some was from sanding the drywall during construction.
The guy showed me before and after pictures, I know the return duct was extremely dirty. We'll see.

Yesterday we raked most of our lot. We're in a bunch of ponderosa pines and they shed needles; straw. Several hours and 25 of the 38 gallon trash bags later were calling it done. We could rake more but it's insane, you could rake until death and never be done. This replaced a weight lifting day at the gym and it's an awesome workout. Next spring we will take another pass.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #2198

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

Yesterday we raked most of our lot. We're in a bunch of ponderosa pines and they shed needles; straw. Several hours and 25 of the 38 gallon trash bags later were calling it done. We could rake more but it's insane, you could rake until death and never be done. This replaced a weight lifting day at the gym and it's an awesome workout. Next spring we will take another pass.

I agree with you about the workout. So far we’ve had three rounds of raking leaves (mostly maple) at the main house. There will be at least one more, since the pear trees haven’t even started to drop yet. Tomorrow we will tackle the oak leaves at the mountain house. We have a relatively small yard there, but many many more trees.

I’d rather take leaves than be in the lab at Megacorp!
Old 11-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #2199

Nicked my little finger on a power plane. Later wiped up blood that dripped all tbe way from downstairs to the sink upstairs. I put a bandaid on it to stop the bleeding. One should be very carefull when using power equipment...
Old 11-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #2200

I had a remarkable experience this morning. Three or four days a week I go out for a roughly five mile jog through the neighborhood, and my time is very slow but pretty consistent.

This morning for some inexplicable reason I found myself in the zone and my time for my regular route was a full minute per mile faster than usual. It didn't feel any different to me, but what a delightful surprise!

I guess that makes up for the occasional morning when I just don't have the energy and cut my workout short.