Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:23 PM   #381
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My 70th birthday will be this June.

Despite my age, this morning my dentist confirmed my suspicions that one of my wisdom teeth just broke through. This is one that never erupted at a younger age, and has always been covered over and not exposed so it never had to be extracted.

At least I know, now, and this explains the slight tenderness back there.

Waiting to become wiser any time, now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh, what straight line!

Gym day today, then dropped off the pickup for a state inspection and some scheduled maintenance, then out to a late lunch with DW. Crossed an item off my bucket list and left a c-note for a tip for the waitress. We got out before she saw it, just as planned.

83° today! After the rain stopped I flew a new R/C airplane for it's initial trim flights in the back yard.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #383
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My 70th birthday will be this June.

Despite my age, this morning my dentist confirmed my suspicions that one of my wisdom teeth just broke through. This is one that never erupted at a younger age, and has always been covered over and not exposed so it never had to be extracted.

At least I know, now, and this explains the slight tenderness back there.

Another new blast of wisdom in the making!

All of mine are still in hiding and I hope they stay that way. I've spent enough in there (or I never had any?) and still have a few Large to go this year.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #384
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My DD and I spent ALL MORNING getting her a rental car!

Sunday her car was hit on the right rear wheel. She had cleared the lane and was partially in shoulder / partially entering parking lot. Other car swerved into her to avoid something. Her car is now in the shop. But her license went missing in the accident. She called into work Monday and Tuesday. Today is her normal day off. So we went to get a car to get her to work tomorrow. Well it wasn't that simple! First of all there's two hours at DMV to get a replacement license. Then Avis won't rent car to you if it's a replacement license. We went to Pittsburg Enterprise next but they wanted to rent her a SUV for $65. She really just needs a small car to get to and from work. So there's no point in renting an SUV. So I called up the Walnut Creek Enterprise and they actually had a small car for $32. We finally got there around 11 a.m. They were really nice and we were out of there shortly afterwards. But this whole thing started at 7 a.m. Not how I wanted to spend four and a half hours
Old 02-22-2018, 04:13 AM   #385
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Crossed an item off my bucket list and left a c-note for a tip for the waitress. We got out before she saw it, just as planned.
What a creative and delightful bucket list item!
Old 02-22-2018, 06:55 AM   #386
Give me a forum ...

Drove home from Orange Beach yesterday. Stopped by relatives on the MS coast and had a nice visit. Plan to play golf later this morning and then crank up the lawn mower for the first time this year. Spring has sprung early this year. Temps in the low 80's today.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:23 AM   #387

Wonderful, unseasonal weather yesterday. Brewed a batch of beer, hopefully a Deschutes Brewery Fresh-Squeezed IPA clone.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
This morning was extreemely rough. My 32 year old beard trimmer bit the dust. (: I'm going to order one with a vaccuume from Amazon. It will be hard, but I will probably survive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Shame that she went so young. Maybe it was the stress of dealing with an older guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I saw that post without the quoted section and thought something completely different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Could it be she got tired of living in the woods with a bearded old guy and ran off with the pool boy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I think he was lucky just to be able to hire a 32 year old to trim his beard. Sorry she couldn't keep up with him though.

This was a great example of what we retired folks do all day!

Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #389
Moderator Emeritus

Not to mention how hard it must be to trim a 32-year-old beard.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #390
Give me a forum ...

Today I completed a task that I have been dreading. I applied to SS, to switch over from Divorced Spousal benefits (that I have been receiving since my FRA in 2014) to my own benefits when I turn 70 in June.

Supposedly my own benefits have been growing for the past 4 years just as though I wasn't receiving Divorced Spousal benefits. In 2015 a law was passed preventing one's own benefits from continuing to grow under these circumstances, but my understanding is that I will be grandfathered. But the potential for misunderstanding is why I have been dreading this.

Apparently our SS office here is a total nightmare compared with SS offices elsewhere, and F urged me to try to do it online instead of going in person if I could. I only found one post on the internet (on Bogleheads) where somebody claimed to have done this online, and I hope that person was right because I just did the same. Luckily there was a box for typing whatever info you wanted to include, so I explained that I was already getting Divorced Spousal benefits but now wanted to switch over to those based on my own employment record.

Do I look like a nervous wreck to you? Well, I am. The photo below is obviously not me (c'mon, I'm 69 years old) but it represents about how I feel at the moment. If this actually works, my computations say that I will be getting a $690/month "raise" and that is a lot of money.

In a week I can inquire and find out how my application is progressing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (9.9 KB, 179 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #391

Quote:
If this actually works, my computations say that I will be getting a $690/month "raise" and that is a lot of money.
Sweet! Then you'll really have something to post about in the "Blow that dough" thread.

Went out and retrieved my pickup truck from the shop. The bill wasn't too bad, instead of replacing the power steering pump as I thought it needed they cleaned and flushed it and that seems to have fixed it. The guy who owns/runs the shop is 70-something, but loves what he does and has no intention of retiring. Good! An honest shop is sometimes hard to find.

Sadly, weatherwise we're back to normal - 40° and rain. Yuck.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #392
Give me a forum ...

Woke up to fresh snow maybe 6-8". It's garbage day and DW wanted it out at the road. I thought what the heck just go run the snowblower, as I was the snowplow came by and gave the machine something to do. It's still snowing and blowing from the pines so there's not much visabilty.

We walked to the mailbox and foolishly I listened to DW, not putting on my Yaktrax. It was fine with fresh snow on top, untill it was icy. Luckily we managed to get down and back with no falls. Never doing that trick again.

There's a pan of brownies in the oven, they're smelling great on a snowy day. Nice with some coffee.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #393

Another day of wacky warm weather. Worked on taxes, then decided to forego the gym for an outdoor walk on our system of trails along our river. Sweet! Now I’m chilling on the patio of Ballast Point brewery. Retirement is good.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #394

Enjoyed the day on the beach in Puerto Rico. We’ve been coming here (Isla Verde) for a few years. There’s rehab and construction going on around us, but the important things (water and electricity) are up and running here on the outskirts of San Juan.

I spoke with the owner of the Airbnb we are in. He says tourism is down. Some of the big hotels locally had some hurricane damage and are taking the opportunity to rehab the property since there was work needed and insurance money. They have rooms during the rehab, but most of those rooms are filled with workers here for the recovery.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #395
Recycles dryer sheets

Like another poster, we woke up to fresh snow. Hmm, it's garbage day here, too. Anyway, last night I started to get weird floaters and flashers in my left eye. Got in to see the eye doctor so made the snowy journey across town, which took twice as long as normal. Was rather crushed when he said it's age related. At least it wasn't a detached retina, but I do have to watch out for that now.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #396
Give me a forum ...

One of my former co-workers who is also one of my golf buddies retired yesterday. We went to the Golf Dome...a large inflatable driving range (it's still winter here) and hit some balls. I then treated him to lunch.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #397
Moderator Emeritus

Spent the day with the Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox in spring training workouts. Then a nap.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 PM   #398
Give me a forum ...

Went to the ranch today got the stove started then went and cleared sage brush from a fence line. I cut it out by hand saw and piled it up. It was about 12 degrees and a beautiful day. I like working on fence in winter no bugs and no sweating. Went back up to cabin eat lunch and worked around the cabin. Then went for a 5 mile hike any way that is what my phone recorded. A great day!
Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #399
Give me a forum ...

It was gym day but we played hookey to go snowshoeing. Fist time this season we've gone. The county has a trail they maintain a few miles north of our house.

Last year it was groomed for Xcountry skiers and snowshoers were sent a different part of the trail. This year it's not been groomed or marked, leading to some confusion. Everyone was good natured and just enjoyed the snow.

We weren't dressed properly, DW learned another lesson in dress. I'm going to get some proper gear for both of us since hopefully winter is visiting.

DW is really feeling the little walk. I wasn't until I entered the calories for an hour of snowshoeing. That can't be right(400-1000 calories burned per hour). I guess I can have two brownies tonight!
Old 02-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #400
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG;2016702DW
is really feeling the little walk. I wasn't until I entered the calories for an hour of snowshoeing. That can't be right(400-1000 calories burned per hour). I guess I can have two brownies tonight!
Calories burned is roughly dependent on distance and body weight, and will increase with added speed or intensity:

https://www.verywellfit.com/walking-...-miles-3887154
Closed Thread