Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #2141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We had it happen a number of times in British Columbia.....figured they just couldn't see the glass.

Interesting factoid.....of all the birds that hit the windows, robins, crows, etc, the only non-fatalities were the humming birds, who were likely traveling at twice the speed of the others.

I've picked up a few that were stunned.....they lay in your hand, perhaps thinking "What the ****", for about a minute....then zip they're gone....tough little buggers.

Just as well, they have even less meat than a quail.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #2142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had a cat who'd run outside and check the patio whenever she heard that thump on the window. It was a dinner bell for her.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:17 AM   #2143

Quote:
of all the birds that hit the windows, robins, crows, etc, the only non-fatalities were the humming birds, who were likely traveling at twice the speed of the others.

I've picked up a few that were stunned.....they lay in your hand, perhaps thinking "What the ****", for about a minute....then zip they're gone....tough little buggers.
Not unusual at our last house in Ohio.
This little guy just sat on the step outside our patio door after bonking into it (very loudly) for at least ten minutes.
Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 7.15.42 AM.png
Old 11-02-2019, 07:28 AM   #2144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
We had a cat who'd run outside and check the patio whenever she heard that thump on the window. It was a dinner bell for her.
One of my best memories of our dear, departed outdoor cat was him coming to the sliding screen door looking to be let into the house. I noticed that he had something in his mouth so I opened the door slightly and tapped him on the top of the head with my foot... and a bird flew away.

I went back to my work at the dining room table and a bit later looked out the window up to see him walking on the top rail of our 4' high chain link fence... I thought to myself "that is strange, I've never seen him walking on top of the rail like that" so I was watching him... he suddenly leapt into a crabapple tree next to the fence and a bunch of birds scattered... then it all made sense.

I miss the little guy.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #2145
Administrator

Went to the airport yesterday to drop off DW’s sister-in-law. She was with us for 2 weeks, and will spend another 2 weeks with her sister in Miami before returning to Venezuela. We brought her up for a mental health vacation, which she badly needed. She never complained about her situation, but it’s pretty clear that this is one where the media understates what the reality is on the ground.

We had a good visit, went to downtown Chicago 3 times, had a couple of family get-togethers, and saw some amazing carved pumpkins at the Chicago Botanic Gardens. She also ate well and even put back on a few of the pounds she’s lost.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #2146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We had it happen a number of times in British Columbia.....figured they just couldn't see the glass.

Interesting factoid.....of all the birds that hit the windows, robins, crows, etc, the only non-fatalities were the humming birds, who were likely traveling at twice the speed of the others.

We lived in a rural house with mega glass. Bird strikes were frequent events. I'd agree that hummingbirds seldom die from a strike, actually DW discovered that if she picked the bird up and kept it warm in her hands most did survive. We lived in the home for 10 years and held countless birds while they recovered. The most memorable were a screech owl that hit one Christmas eve and a Coopers hawk that hit one summer.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #2147
Administrator

Went to a college football game in East Hartford last night. It was cold, but enjoyable to watch Navy beat UConn 56-10. The local chapter of the USNA alumni association put on a nice tailgater in the Cabela's parking lot across the street from the stadium, and the turnout of Navy fans was substantial. We all sang "Navy Blue & Gold" a capella at the end of the game; hundreds of alums from their 20s to their 80s singing our alma mater together. It was a nice feeling to be part of that group. Got back home about 1am.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #2148
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Gave blood this morning. Got a fleece blanket and a voucher for a beer. Drank hte beer.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #2149

I played Monopoly with my husband and kids. We all had a great time. The kids were pretty ruthless with the real estate deals- we were impressed!
Old 11-02-2019, 04:33 PM   #2150

Quote:

Many song birds, warblers, etc., survive - at least for a while. We learned in the most recent Cornell Lab of Ornithology's Annual report that as much as 50% of the birds that strike our windows and then "recover" to fly off, die soon after - most often from brain hemorrhaging.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:00 AM   #2151

Microwave, oven, and toaster oven. Had to spend ten seconds on each.

Everything else, including our cars, updated itself back to standard time last night.

Sometimes you just gotta love the Internet of Things!
Old 11-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #2152

I went to a Haloween party yesterday. I went as a Bronco fan. Now that was scary!
Old 11-03-2019, 07:36 AM   #2153
gone traveling

I bought a Craftsman sliding compound miter saw, https://www.woodmagazine.com/review/...pound-mitersaw and cut up all the new baseboard trim for my bathroom project. I have already installed the new carpet, transition strips, and repainted spots on the walls.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Everything else, including our cars, updated itself back to standard time last night.

+1

Wall clock
Clock radio
Watch
Oven clock
Car clock
Thermostat

5 minutes of my life 2x a year. I think I'll survive!
Old 11-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #2155

We are unwinding after 2 very stressful days due to the Maria fire. We watched it start at about 6 PM Thursday. We were up until about 4 AM watching it burn across the top of the mountain.
Fortunately, the wind was blowing away from us. The next morning we got an alert to evacuate our home. Fortunately, after the Thomas fire last year, we made up an evacuation check list so we did not forget anything important.
We stayed at a motel 10 miles upwind from the fire, and the next morning checked the emergency website to see if the evacuation was lifted.
Since checkout was at 11, I drove home at about 10 AM, and saw the barriers were unmanned. I stopped at the clubhouse, and there was one of the other residents watching TV. I went back to the motel, loaded up our cars, and went home. Thank goodness, it was still standing, and we unpacked everything.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #2156
Give me a forum ...

Installed new carb on motorcycle, going to change oil, fill with fresh gas and get on down the road. Then up on Craigs list.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #2157
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

I have a Timex digital clock with a large easy to read screen, and it resets itself automatically. Problem is, the reset happens on odd dates. This year it reset last Friday.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #2158
Give me a forum ...

Arizonans do not fool around with our clocks. We do not go along with this silly clock resetting thing.

The only change is I can sleep in a bit later in the morning, as the stock market now opens at 7:30AM local time instead of at 6:30AM. Sometimes, getting up to catch the market as it opens can make me a bit of money.

Case in point: last Friday, I woke up a bit early as usual, and saw that the market was looking to go up due to some positive rumors about the Chinese trade war. I tried to stay awake till market open, in order to sell an out-of-the-money put option contract on an ETF. I then went back to sleep. Woke up an hour later, and saw that the ETF had gone up as expected, the put strike price got further into the red, and the $3 option had dropped down to $1.95, making me $105 already. I will let it become worthless in a month, in order to make $300 on this single trade done on a lark.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #2159
Moderator Emeritus

Went to Costco to by gasoline and went inside to pick up some nuts. Then I had one of these:

Sundae.jpg

(410 calories)

Why is my photo sideways?
Old 11-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #2160
gone traveling

What did you do today? 2019 version.

Spent time with our child

Walked our dog at local park

Watched Monsters University and Inside Out

Went to Baskin Robbins for ice cream (cotton candy and vanilla)

Popcorn

Chill
Closed Thread