Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #2181
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted for the first time as a Florida resident. Polling place was in a church basement and I was the only voter for a few minutes. Had a nice little chat with the poll worker who checked me in, because that's how you do in Florida

Then I did battle with the pool. It's been cloudy so the pool is cold. I'm down to 1/2 of what I usually do because it's torture, and I don't even get that wonderful feeling of well-being afterward. Tomorrow I'll try a long-sleeve suit I just got. If that doesn't work it might be time to check out the local LA Fitness indoor pool until they turn the heat on in the main pool here.

There are other lap swimmers just hopping in, including women of slight build. I keep thinking that eventually I will acclimate too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #2182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I voted. I was really surprised to see how full the parking lot was and how busy the polling place was, as this is an off-year, local election in NJ. I was also canvassed by a young lady who was likely ineligible to vote. I assured her I had voted, I had voted for the candidates for whom she was canvassing, and I thanked her for getting out there knocking on doors, telling her that I knew it was hard, but that she was doing something important. So pleased to see a young person putting in shoe time for this election.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #2183

I heard this terrible clanging outside and went out to investigate. It was FedEx. I am happy they delivered one of the two packages I had coming. The noise sounded like a bearing about to shatter. The lady driving the truck had no clue. The truck was a heavy duty Ford and it had manual locking hubs. I unlocked the hubs and had her turn the truck around and the noise stopped. She had no understanding about 4 wheel drive operation and only knew that 4H meant she could go up steep drives. She said she had complained about the noise but nothing had been done. I told her to lock the hubs if she needed 4 wheel drive. Hope she makes it back to the wearhouse and they get that noise fixed.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #2184
Administrator

I got up early and went to the Connecticut Food Bank about 30 miles away to collect a pallet of food for our church's Food2Kids weekend food distribution program. Then the young wife and I went to vote in our municipal election. One candidate for Planning & Zoning just rang our doorbell a few minutes ago to see if we had voted yet. We told him we had already done it and had voted for him. So he was a happy camper.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:17 PM   #2185
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did a little woodworking then hopped on Rita (BMW R1200RT) and rode 30 miles out to Dublin for another bowl of Black Garlic Ramen.

Yes, I'm an addict -
Old 11-05-2019, 04:33 PM   #2186
Moderator Emeritus

Pre - op CT scan and more X-Rays of my right hip in preparation for the implant surgery. Next is meeting with the hospital to go over pre-admissions details on 11/11. So much fun!
Old 11-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #2187

Voted on a $1BB bond referendum for the local school district. Probably made the news as one of the bigger ones in the country if it passes. Redoing 2 schools and building a new high school all in one shot. To put this ridiculous amount into perspective...it cost 1Billion to build our NFL Stadium which was the most expensive at the time and considered nicest in the country. Maybe I should have put this into the blow her dough thread lol
Old 11-05-2019, 05:23 PM   #2188

Took a big load of stuff, including lots of w*rk clothes, to Goodwill. Also gave away some bric-a-brac that my well-meaning parents had given me over the years.

Dug up and potted a couple rosemary plants that I'd propagated from an existing plant that I thought I would replace. The old plant was looking rather gnarly and misshapen after some hard freezes the past couple years, but it filled out this summer and looks ok now. Good thing, as I was not looking forward to wrestling the old guy out. So now I have two extra plants to find places for, or give away.

Started looking at the Medicare book to figure out options for mom. She thinks she wants to change to a plan that covers dental and hearing aids. I can't tell yet how her premiums and other costs would change for those benefits...or if she'll actually give in and finally agree to get hearing aids!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:13 PM   #2189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Voted on a $1BB bond referendum for the local school district. Probably made the news as one of the bigger ones in the country if it passes. Redoing 2 schools and building a new high school all in one shot. To put this ridiculous amount into perspective...it cost 1Billion to build our NFL Stadium which was the most expensive at the time and considered nicest in the country. Maybe I should have put this into the blow her dough thread lol
If there are enough students to build more schools, that's not a bad problem I guess.

The elementary school that my youngest brother went to was shut down for many years. Out of curiosity, I just looked and found that the town finally razed it down to turn the large lot into a park.

The high-school my children attended 15 years ago now needs more students. These are bused in from nearby parts of town, from older neighborhoods. My area is about 30-year-old, and still relatively new. Still, residents get older like ourselves, and their children are now in the 30s.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-05-2019, 10:48 PM   #2190
Recycles dryer sheets

Saw my Rheumatologist, who told me I was in such good shape, that I can cut back on my NSAID med by half!
Old 11-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #2191

Replaced all the smoke detector batteries after one of them started chirping.

The old batteries all had "Dec 2019" on them, so I'd say that's a pretty awesome job of estimating useful battery life!

I don't think it's too common, but where we live the code requires two for every bedroom; one inside and one just outside the door. Probably a good idea.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #2192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Pre - op CT scan and more X-Rays of my right hip in preparation for the implant surgery. Next is meeting with the hospital to go over pre-admissions details on 11/11. So much fun!
You're making progress!! Before long you'll be in recovery and feeling better every day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #2193
Give me a forum ...

Monday we started going back to the gym, and today was our second time back since my total knee replacement surgery. I purposely left my walker at home and used neither walker nor cane.

This time I rode the seated elliptical for a while. Then I saw an old friend from ten years ago, that I hadn't seen in five years or more so I went over there and stood while we chatted for a while. That was such fun. I had missed seeing her and it was great to catch up with each other.

But after standing there talking for ten or fifteen minutes, my knee told me we were done. F was done too so we went to the restaurant for lunch, and then home. I am tired but it's good to be getting back to my normal life these days.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #2194
Give me a forum ...

Haven't done it yet....but in a few hours we head out to the hospital, (it's snowing here BTW), for my Green Light Laser (prostate) surgery.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 11-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #2195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Haven't done it yet....but in a few hours we head out to the hospital, (it's snowing here BTW), for my Green Light Laser (prostate) surgery.
Best wishes Nemo2.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #2196
Administrator

After 5 months of retirement, I am going back to my old office for their annual "Day of Feasting" tomorrow. I'm smoking some baby back ribs today to take with me.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #2197
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Best of luck, and may your recovery be painless and free flowing.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #2198

DH reaches FRA on Saturday, and today he signed up to begin receiving Social Security in January. Since he has a federal pension he is subject to WEP; if our calculations are correct he will get about $1500/month.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:46 PM   #2199
Give me a forum ...

Put some more miles on the soon to be sold motorcycle, ate another bowl of black garlic ramen, came home and lubed up the chain (needs to be warm) and finished up my little wood working project.

Wife is off with friends and I'll be off to the sushi bar!
Old 11-07-2019, 06:55 PM   #2200
Moderator Emeritus

Went for a hike, out for lunch, slept through the afternoon, watched some YouTube videos and now the Blackhawks game.
Closed Thread