Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #2361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I subbed middle school math and high school math this week. Yes, basic arithmetic done without a cell phone or calculator is a completely lost art if these kids are any example. It's frightening.

Not really new about 45 years ago (before Mcdonalds introducted their computers) I would go to Mcdonalds in Pasadena, Ca and always have the total only bear a slight resemblance to the true value. Generally I objected to overcharges and any undercharges over about $ 1.00. So it is not really new that folks can't do it well. For change the old way of counting the total down as seen at grocery stores is a lost art ( for example say you are owed 7.76 in change start with a 5 making 2.76, then 2 ones, then 3 quarters leaving .01 and then a penny making zero, being handed the change when it is counted out, of course for a while there where the machines that gave the coins and the cashier only had to do the paper money, but with the amount of credit cards now used they have gone the way of the dodo.)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #2362
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
For change the old way of counting the total down as seen at grocery stores is a lost art ( for example say you are owed 7.76 in change start with a 5 making 2.76, then 2 ones, then 3 quarters leaving .01 and then a penny making zero, being handed the change when it is counted out, of course for a while there where the machines that gave the coins and the cashier only had to do the paper money, but with the amount of credit cards now used they have gone the way of the dodo.)
I was taught to count up. For example, the total is $7.76 and a $20 is given. Count up 4 cents to 7.80, 20 cents to $8.00, $2 to $10, then $10 more to $20.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #2363
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Hang in there, MRG! It looks like you and I are the casualties for this week..me being 5 days into a hip replacement and you with the operated on eye.

Note: I am still 50% sleeping in a almost sitting position in a recliner. The other 50% is on my bed on my back, and I am a side sleeper.
Thanks aja. I get frustrated when I'm not getting well as fast as I'd like. I just have to realize I'm a little better each day.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #2364
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I was taught to count up. For example, the total is $7.76 and a $20 is given. Count up 4 cents to 7.80, 20 cents to $8.00, $2 to $10, then $10 more to $20.
That's how I learned it as a 16 year old cashier at McDonald's.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #2365

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
“Lightscape” debuted at the Chicago Botanic Garden last night and DW and I were there. A mile long path through the garden was illuminated with mostly holiday themed designs. Just wonderful.
We have something similar at the Cincinnati Zoo, called the Festival of Lights. We love to visit every year.

CZ.jpg
Old 11-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #2366

Quote:
I never was a cashier, so after your comment I recall it was count up, no math at all required. Count down would work with a register that told you the change,
Old 11-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #2367

Quote:
Same here when cashiering at my folks' restaurant back in the '70s. I remember one old guy watched me count back his change, and when I finished he looked up at me and said, "Well, at least you can count. Most kids can't ya know." Now I guess that old guy is us!!
Old 11-24-2019, 03:12 PM   #2368
Moderator Emeritus

Day 6 after hip replacement surgery:

Last night I fell asleep in the recliner at 11:00 PM. I didn't move an inch until I heard the dog bark at 7:15 AM. Never have I slept that long on my back with no bathroom break. I must have been wiped out.

Spent the day walking around the house with the walker and took a shower in the late afternoon. Then I ventured outside for a walk with the next door neighbor. We walked about 1/3 of a mile based on my Fitbit. It felt good to get out in the cool Fall weather! I'm clearly getting stronger and need to continue my walking efforts going farther each day.

Tomorrow, I plan to have a friend pick me up in the AM to go to Burger King to meet my ROMEO friends. That will give DW a deserved break.

I can't drive yet and won't be allowed to until my Dr appointment 12/2.

Arthritic hip pain is long gone...that's why we did this surgery!
Old 11-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #2369

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Tomorrow, I plan to have a friend pick me up in the AM to go to Burger King to meet my ROMEO friends. That will give DW a deserved break.
How thoughtful! People talk about the importance of a good bedside manner for caregivers, but patients are wise to mind their manners too. Glad your recovery is going so well!
Old 11-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #2370

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I never was a cashier, so after your comment I recall it was count up, no math at all required. Count down would work with a register that told you the change,
Back in college I learned to count change back to the customer out loud to avoid any confusion or flim-flam. I get amused when cashiers these days can only count out what the computer tells them to. Recently on a purchase of $2.10 I found a dime in my pocket after the cashier keyed in my payment of $5.00, and handed it to them. They had absolutely no clue as to why I did that and tried to hand it back. I explained that they would now owe me $3.00 even and I would avoid a pocketful of change. Confused, they counted out the change the machine said they owed me and added the dime to it.

Next time I might use a $2.00 bill and see what happens.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #2371
Give me a forum ...

When I took the patch from my eye this morning I noticed a difference. The pain was much better, not gone, but the first big improvement over night. I'm seeing more of the bubble, good news, bads news. It's interfering with the vision in my eye so I'm having to exist with one eye closed. Good news is I have more vision above the bubble! Not perfect but it's more than just light. Maybe they fixed me!

Picked up some groceries and put gas in DW'S Wrangler. Tomorrow I'll get propane and some more groceries. I have to go to the eye surgeon on Tuesday morning and the forecast says it's going to be snowing. It's not great drive in the snow. Oh well. Then the forecast says snow restarts Wednesday till next weekend. [emoji23]
Old 11-24-2019, 04:41 PM   #2372

I completed the job of moving our security lights to our shed in back of the driveway. They were originally by the side porch. When DW was grilling, they would not stay on.
I replaced then with a single flood shining on the BBQ. I wired up the security lights using a hex box and #14 BX, which I ran to an existing 4 inch box. I replaced the single switch with a double switch, one to connect the interior shed lights and one to control the security lights.
I hate to think what an electrician would cost.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #2373
Give me a forum ...

A few hours of navel gazing.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #2374

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
A few hours of navel gazing.
That's pretty good. I managed only 25 minutes this morning.

Attacked the moss in the driveway with a bleach solution, as recommended by one website. Doesn't seem to be turning the moss yellow as described, but I'll wait and see what it looks like tomorrow.

Figured out how much more I could add to my HSA for the year and made the transfer to get the maximum $8000 into it. No more HSA next year, as we'll be on a non-HSA ACA plan next year. It'll be much cheaper than Cobra though!
Old 11-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #2375
Give me a forum ...

Stopped in the bulk food section of the local WinCo grocery store and saw that they had dried pigs' ears. Then I saw the price - $20 a pound. Wow, it would be cheaper to feed my dog prime rib as a treat. They sure musta loved those pigs.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #2376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I subbed middle school math and high school math this week. Yes, basic arithmetic done without a cell phone or calculator is a completely lost art if these kids are any example. It's frightening.
Even worse is that many of the people who are inept at math are proud of their inability.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #2377
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
Even worse is that many of the people who are inept at math are proud of their inability.

“Math is hard.”

Barbie

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-25-2019, 05:57 AM   #2378
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Woke up and turned on the kitchen faucet - nothing came out.

The joys of country living...
Old 11-25-2019, 06:14 AM   #2379

Taking an all-day AARP driver ed class. And I have questions .... (where DO you put your foot and hands when using the new lane keeping and adaptable cruise control functions?)
Old 11-25-2019, 08:19 AM   #2380
Administrator

Time for some bragging about our 8 year old grandson. Three times now he’s shown some real financial wisdom that would endear him to our community.

First, when his folks had a carpeting salesperson in for an estimate, he followed the man and asked multiple times “what’s wrong with the carpeting we have and why can’t we just keep using it?

A week ago, on our last visit, after school when it was snack time I offered him a piece of chocolate, then said he could have two if he waited ‘til our get together Thanksgiving, a week later. He looked at me and said “That’s dumb. Of course I’ll wait.”

Last, and best of all, DD called me yesterday to tell me her DH, over dinner, said he was thinking about getting a new car. Their DS asked if his car wasn’t running, and when SIL said it was, the grandson said “why spend all that money to change it if it still works?”.

Makes my heart warm just thinking about it. I have high hopes for him ...
Closed Thread