Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:58 AM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiree_Having_Fun View Post
I've had problems with that when temperature gets very cold. Water from melting snow flows towards the door bottom.

Only way I have figured to avoid is to pour some random sand at the door seal area - seems to elevate the door at the sand high points and only partially freeze and easily broken free.
I had the door freeze shut once...I poured some windshield washer fluid along the bottom and it melted the ice. Of course, that only works if your washer fluid is rated for cold temps.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 07:06 AM   #242
Give me a forum ...

Colonoscopy today. That prep is brutal (even using the new Suprep).

For Valentine's day, I made Lena a jar of low-carb Nutella, which was weird timing.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:25 AM   #243
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
poured some windshield washer fluid along the bottom and it melted the ice.
Been there done that but my opener feels like it wants to rip the garage door top off the mountings when the door is frozen to the bottom seal. So the sand has to be a preemptive solution. Also don't want to use salt since it seems to destroy the concrete finish.

Probably people in California and Florida has no concept of this problem as we don't concern ourselves with the ground shaking or hurricanes.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #244
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Colonoscopy today. That prep is brutal (even using the new Suprep).

For Valentine's day, I made Lena a jar of low-carb Nutella, which was weird timing.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Spent the morning with DD, starting the packing for their move into their first house! It is so exciting to watch your kids experience significant milestones. She is also pregnant, so we will have a new grand baby this year!
Old 02-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #246

On a whim, I walked in to my local Kroger and asked at the pharmacy if they had any Shingrx shots available. I had the first one in October so I'm due for #2 about now.

They had 12 available and ten minutes later I walked out, mission accomplished.

No pain or reaction whatever from the first one, so this should be the same. So nice to have that taken care of.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

I'm at my beach condo for a few days. Great weather so rode the bike for a couple of hours. And took the dog on a couple of walks. Going to let the Valentiners have the restaurants tonight.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Another overcast and drizzly day. So, I stayed inside, ate a big bowl of homemade chili for lunch, and surfed the Web to continue to flesh out my Spain-Portugal trip in 2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
On a whim, I walked in to my local Kroger and asked at the pharmacy if they had any Shingrx shots available. I had the first one in October so I'm due for #2 about now.

No pain or reaction whatever from the first one, so this should be the same. So nice to have that taken care of.
Two shots for shingles? They did not tell me about this after I had my 1st one last year.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #249

Met the young wife at her office today, took her out to lunch at the best steak restaurant in the city, When she gets home from work we will take the kids out for ice cream. Here it is considered a day of friendship as well, so we need to include the family. It was great reminiscing about our 16 years together!
Old 02-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

I got mine yeaterday and my arm is sore. DW got hers today and she is OK. They will call us in 2-6 months for the second shot.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #251

Left the Texas Hilll Country after a 10 day visit there and to South Texas. On arrival in Fredericksburg, I got hit with the worst, longest-lasting cold I have ever had and finally realized today, when my brains stopped melting out through my nose, right about in Ozona, that I have had not a cold but the dreaded cedar allergy.

REWahoo, is that on your list?

I never knew what an allergy was.

We’re now in Van Horn, and the weather is lovely, and I can breathe again.

Happy Valentine’s Day!
Old 02-14-2019, 05:54 PM   #252
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Left the Texas Hilll Country after a 10 day visit there and to South Texas. On arrival in Fredericksburg, I got hit with the worst, longest-lasting cold I have ever had and finally realized today, when my brains stopped melting out through my nose, right about in Ozona, that I have had not a cold but the dreaded cedar allergy.

REWahoo, is that on your list?
No, cedar fever isn't spelled out individually. The list of hazards got so long that I had to draw the line somewhere, so it's covered under the broad category of "polluted air".
Old 02-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

OK, I found out that what I had must be the older Zostavax, and not the newer Shingrix.

Shingrix is said to be more effective, but requires two shots, and causes muscle pain at the injection site in addition to sometimes more serious complications.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Shingrix is said to be more effective, but requires two shots, and causes muscle pain at the injection site in addition to sometimes more serious complications.
Probably for some, but certainly not for me. No pain, no reaction of any kind.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #255
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No, cedar fever isn't spelled out individually. The list of hazards got so long that I had to draw the line somewhere, so it's covered under the broad category of "polluted air".
Real Texans like REWahoo just take cedar fever for granted, but I agree with Accidental Retiree, it's utterly miserable.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-15-2019, 12:27 AM   #256
Give me a forum ...

We saw a play for a Valentine's date night out.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #257
Give me a forum ...

I did 2 things yesterday that I've never done before:

1. Went inline skating...after a comical start I got the hang of it (I know how to skate from playing hockey) and ended up doing okay.

2. I cooked a couple steaks using briquettes. I've used propane all my life but the condo we're staying at only has a briquette barbeque. The steaks were tremendous, and when we get back home I may look into buying a different barbeque.
Tempting fate
Old 02-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #258

Tempting fate

Finally finished both tax returns and e-filed the federal a few days ago but had to wait for some forms to be completed for state. Those came in yesterday, so I finished up that and snail-mailed it out today. TurboTax wants $20 to e-file and that ain't gonna happen.

Then on to a minor grocery run and home.

Here's where the "tempting fate" comes in. At the moment the outside temperature is 61° F and looking ahead at the forecast it doesn't seem that any appreciable amount of snow is possible even though some "wintry mix" is forecast for Sunday & Sunday night. But temps later on are in the forties so whatever happens won't be around for long.

So I took the large snow blower out of the garage and back to the shed and drained all the fuel & oil out of it in preparation for storage. Found out my grease gun was empty and I had forgotten to get another cartridge. So I'll have to get one before I can finish "summerizing" it. In the meantime of course I'm betting that we won't get enough snow to justify refilling with fresh oil & gas. I wanted to leave it empty of oil because leaving it in the "service position" standing up on the front for long means there is a small possibility of an oil leak all over the floor in the shed. There are other items inside that need regular oiling and greasing in there between seasons as well so I'll have to get to that later.

My back hurts like the dickens from sitting on the concrete floor and leaning forward to work on the machinery. I took half a Percocet and one Tylenol to ease the pain from that, it seems to be working. My body isn't as flexible as it used to be.

Oh, and on the way back from the grocery store we saw an estate sale going on at the home of a lady about our age that we knew slightly from living a few blocks away. Turns out she developed early onset dementia and is now in full nursing care. No more than two months ago we saw her out walking for exercise as she frequently did. That's scary.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #259

I empathize with you Walt. Yesterday was 58 at the lake house. I got three cracks in the area between the retaining wall and the house on the uphill side cleaned out and new waterproofing applied. Scrubbing with wire brush and chipping a few places out. It was down to 35 when I got back to the house in the city.

Today, 1st round of shoveling is done. Hopefully only get another inch or two and it’ll stay light and fluffy. Where’s a teenage kid when you need one?
Old 02-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Woke up to a new batch of snow wet, heavy, and deep. Our neighborhood was a bunch of old people out playing in the snow and having fun. Neighbors were snowshoeing and xcounty skiing around the road. We got unburied and eventually tried to go out for lunch before our road was plowed. DWs little Wrangler goes pretty well but it's lighter and gets thrown around by heavy snow.

Unfortunately other people didn't have adequate traction and messed it all up. A couple of folks closed down two roads. Neither vehicle should have been out in the conditions.

I had to back up a quarter mile and it was all the jeep wanted to do. I didn't want to get it sideways and in the ditch. We went out a different way, there wasn't much traffic out.[emoji12] An hour later it was a little better and they had plowed our development.

The party outside has been replaced by people digging out.
Closed Thread