Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #2581
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lovely pony zonicles....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #2582
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We tried to bring home a new car, but left the dealership without.

DH and I selected a new RAV4 on Friday and put down a deposit. We told the salesman that we would be back at 3 pm today to write a check and sign the papers.

Got to the dealership at 3:00. The finance guy was busy with someone so the salesman took us out to show us our car and explain some of the buttons and screens. At 3:45 we are sitting at the desk while the salesman stalls. At 4:00 the salesman went to check on the finance guy —he should be ready for us soon.

Nope. We had somewhere to be by 5:00. Told the salesman we will be back to tomorrow at 2:00 and want to come in and sign the papers without delay. Poor sales guy wasn’t happy. Not our problem.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #2583
Give me a forum ...

Woke up to fresh snow. A wonderful fresh blanket of white snow all over the earth and trees. About 8 inches of fresh fluffy snow sparkling in bright sunshine. I went out front just in time to watch the snowplow blast by, sending snow back into our driveway a couple of feet deep.[emoji26] After breakfast the snowblower and I had fun before getting some groceries. Tonight was a weird sunset; the orange in the west was lighting up some snow clouds in the east.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #2584
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
... And I can’t just head up to the mountains on my own, because DH totaled my car last Monday (he was not hurt) and we are down to one vehicle until Monday when I pick up my new replacement. ...
You didn't have rental car coverage?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #2585
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Ladies, ladies, ladies. We get around to those things. There's no need to nag us every 6 months.....
DW must be a member of that club too.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #2586
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Applied some nice white caulk, then read the instructions: It will dry clear!
Yeah... it's a guy thing.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #2587
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Nag, then threaten to call a professional, and then the biggest threat of all: gather some tools, put on some work jeans, and start doing it yourself!!
That's entertainment!

Internet
Old 12-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #2588

Internet

After being stuck with Frontier's 3MB/s speed and high price, I contacted Spectrum to change providers. Frontier's was over the phone lines, but Spectrum is cable and much faster.
Well, a very nice technician showed up, and after some discussions we decided how to run the cable into the house and through the floor to get to the router.
The next step was to check on the external cable going to the distribution box. There the wheels came off. Our cable in the box was too short to be hooked up to the distribution box, and it was stuck in the conduit, so it could not be pulled out and replaced. Bottom line: a crew will be here Friday to dig and lay a new cable to my house.
In retrospect,as the other cable was at least 15 years old and corroded, I am happy to get a new cable.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #2589
Moderator Emeritus

Woke up to a little snow. Atv plow wouldn't start. Got a new battery, plowed driveway. Then a workout, finished a woodworking project and started a new one.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:04 PM   #2590
Administrator

Took my modem back to the cable company. They jacked the price up to $10 per month, so I just bought one of my own. Gave blood for the 68th time.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #2591
Give me a forum ...

Went to the ranch and took a short walk to harvest a pheasant for a meal. I harvested one and should of had my limit but shot holes in the sky on the other two shots. I was a beautiful day in paradise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3426 (2).jpg (198.1 KB, 68 views)
Old 12-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #2592

We passed another "old age" milestone today. The CCRC that we have been on a waiting list for the past five years called today and they have an opening. Fortunately we were out and they left a message so we don't have to address the issue today. But... the last place we'll ever live? Gulp!

It seemed like a good idea a few years ago.

Saying that we're not ready yet doesn't really have any bad effects, it doesn't put us back to the bottom of the list or anything like that. But it's the first time we've been confronted with the real option.

So tomorrow morning I"ll call them back and tell them we're not ready. Yet.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #2593
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

I fully and completely understand.

Interesting how your situation parallels those brave souls who say they don't need to worry about how they will pay for a nursing home because they are insured by Smith & Wesson. Sounds good - until the time comes to file a claim.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #2594
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I was wondering if you were premature on this when you originally signed on the list. You and your DW seem to active and into life too much for predicting when you will start down the dark road.

Me, I'm hanging out until someone drags me out of this house, but that's just me and I tend to see things in 10 year forward chunks, and then I take the next look when I get there.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #2595
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

"Hell no, we won't go!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
... Me, I'm hanging out until someone drags me out of this house, but that's just me and I tend to see things in 10 year forward chunks, and then I take the next look when I get there.
I dunno. Does one need finer granularity than 10 years? Maybe 5 years, or even 2?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #2596
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Went to the ranch and took a short walk to harvest a pheasant for a meal. I harvested one and should of had my limit but shot holes in the sky on the other two shots. I was a beautiful day in paradise.

The only time I had pheasant was at an auberge on the bank of the Loire River. It was tasty, but there was not a lot of meat. It tasted like quail, if my memory serves. It has been a few years.

PS. Actually, I remember now that it was my wife who had pheasant. She gave me a bite. I had river eel.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #2597
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The only time I had pheasant was at an auberge on the bank of the Loire River. It was tasty, but there was not a lot of meat. It tasted like quail, if my memory serves. It has been a few years.

PS. Actually, I remember now that it was my wife who had pheasant. She gave me a bite. I had river eel.
I haven't had one in a few years now, but they are very good. I have a lot of them at the ranch and haven't harvested any in years but have let others hunt them.

I had half of one today seasoned with all my favorite spices and pan fried one breast. I cut each steak to about one inch thick and browned them fast and furious. It was absolutely delicious! I will go a few more times this week and get a few more birds before the season ends.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #2598

Met with my mom's FA for the first time. Among the orders of business today was taking her RMD for 2019, which was met in part by selling some stock. For this the guy was happy to take a 2.6% commission to the tune of $221. This is in addition to the thousands she's paid to buy into the loaded funds he was kind enough to sell her. He also explained his commission vs. advisory fee structure, with the sliding scale commission on each trade vs. the flat 1%/year for management. Yes, I tried to explain these things to her, multiple times, before she went the FA route. Mom's take on this is "Well, these things cost money."
Old 12-18-2019, 02:38 PM   #2599
Give me a forum ...

I Googled CCRC. I'm hoping it's Continuing Care Retirement Communities and not Child Care Resource Center.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #2600
Administrator

Today, I called H&R Block to point out an error in their 2019 tax software with respect to Roth contribution limits. They have the proper 2019 IRS printed worksheet, but the blocks for the max contribution ($7000 over 50) and the income based phaseout ($203,000 MFJ) self-populate to 2018 numbers, which are lower ($6500 and $199,000). The result is to show you an incorrect maximum Roth contribution for 2019.

The young fellow who answered my call said "Can you override those entries?" I said "Yes, but I shouldn't have to. The program should put in the proper numbers." He took notes as to the precise entries on the form that are at issue and said he would pass it on, although I'm not sure he actually understood anything about Roth contribution limits. I am hopeful they'll fix this in the next update, which is scheduled for 1/3/20.

In any event, I would double check the Roth contribution limits spit out by the program if you are preparing your taxes.