Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 09:43 PM   #2661
Moderator Emeritus

Took it easy today approaching 6 weeks after my hip replacement. Only walked 8,000 steps and then sat on my rear and watched the college bowl games.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2019, 06:19 PM   #2662
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Raked and gathered up the leaves shed by the neighbor's tree over the backyard fence. The temperature got down to the 30s this week too.

Usually, the trees shed their leaves some time in November here, but this is the first time it happens on Christmas week. I did not notice that autumn this year was warmer than usual. Maybe it was.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:09 PM   #2663
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
It turns out the monthly cost (cash) of the asthma inhaler prescribed by the vet for my cat is $300, not $200. It is exactly the same inhaler prescribed for humans with asthma.

I now have a much fuller understanding of why some folks have to choose between paying for medication for (human) chronic conditions, and paying other bills.

So, I spent two hours online today researching online pharmacies in Canada, and I found two where I can order the exact same medication for 40% of the cost here - $120 per month. This was an eye opening experience for me re: the cost of some medications.

I'll have to buy one month's worth for $300 to get my cat started, while I wait for the meds from Canada to be shipped here.

The more important thing is my wee feline continues to improve and should be home by tomorrow.

I once had a cat that developed asthma too... we actually had a pretty cost effective solution. Our vet showed us so we could do it at home. We got a see thru plastic box about the size of a cat carrier. Then we purchased a nebulizer (like used for babies). You cut a small hole in the plastic box that the nebulizer tubing will fit into. Essentially you are making a breathing chamber for the cat.

You put the cat in the see thru plastic box and close the lid. Attach a tube into the plastic box so the nebulizer sends its vapor and fresh air into the plastic box. It takes about 7-8 minutes for a tube of the asthma medicine to finish and your kitty will naturally breathe the vapor that is in the closed box. We used a basic generic brand of asthma medicine that was about $8 for a month supply at Target!

I donít think our cat liked it! But it was easier to put the cat in a box and let him breathe the vapor for a few minutes than to attempt any sort of mask direct to his face. Usually heíd just be sitting and looking around, slightly mystified as to why his people were doing this...
Old 12-29-2019, 10:03 PM   #2664
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
I once had a cat that developed asthma too... we actually had a pretty cost effective solution. Our vet showed us so we could do it at home. We got a see thru plastic box about the size of a cat carrier. Then we purchased a nebulizer (like used for babies). You cut a small hole in the plastic box that the nebulizer tubing will fit into. Essentially you are making a breathing chamber for the cat.

You put the cat in the see thru plastic box and close the lid. Attach a tube into the plastic box so the nebulizer sends its vapor and fresh air into the plastic box. It takes about 7-8 minutes for a tube of the asthma medicine to finish and your kitty will naturally breathe the vapor that is in the closed box. We used a basic generic brand of asthma medicine that was about $8 for a month supply at Target!

I donít think our cat liked it! But it was easier to put the cat in a box and let him breathe the vapor for a few minutes than to attempt any sort of mask direct to his face. Usually heíd just be sitting and looking around, slightly mystified as to why his people were doing this...
This sounds like a creative solution; thanks very much for sharing. I'll mention it to my vet if the face mask angle doesn't work. The Aerokat chamber/face mask arrives tomorrow.

Tonight my cat won't even let me squirt the liquid prednisolone in her mouth. She simply will not tolerate being medicated in any way, shape, or form. It stresses her out to the point where is almost makes her physically sick, so I stopped trying. The vet said I could put the liquid in her food and hope she will eat it, so I did.

Thanks again for sharing your experience. Your cat was lucky to have you.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #2665

Today was the last day of physical therapy for back pain. While I'm not cured (which I didn't expect) I am much better than I was (admittedly I didn't expect that either). Followed that with a gym workout and then enjoyed the last of the mid-60's weather we've been having. Tomorrow temperatures go back to low 40's which is more normal here.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:01 PM   #2666
Moderator Emeritus

Filed my paperwork for our real estate tax assessment complaint. First needed color photos of our home and comparables. I donít have a color printer. Went to library with my usb stick of photo files. Plugged it into library computer - windows. I didnít remember how to run a windows computer. Itís been almost 6 years since Iíve used one. Took a while to figure out how to print the photos.

Mailed my drone back to the manufacturer as trade in for a new one, ran some errands with DW and turned a billy club out of a cherry log on my lathe.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:12 PM   #2667

On this last day of 2019 I am planning a small dinner and will ring in the New Year quietly with DH.
Happy New Years Eve!
Old 12-31-2019, 12:15 PM   #2668
Full time employment: Posting here.

Was notified that my Sister passed away this morning from cancer. Will be a solemn night.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:17 PM   #2669
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Was notified that my Sister passed away this morning from cancer. Will be a solemn night.
So sorry, especially hard at the holidays.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:18 PM   #2670
Administrator

Quote:
Heartfelt sorrow for the loss of your sister.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:20 PM   #2671

Quote:
My sympathies to you and your family.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #2672
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Sorry for your loss.

Attended DWís aunts funeral today. She was closing in on 95. Nice lady.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #2673

Quote:
Very sorry to hear this. My condolences on your loss.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:01 PM   #2674
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank you all. She just turned 64, 2 weeks ago. Life is too short. Why did I retire? Life is too short! Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:04 PM   #2675
Give me a forum ...

Got up at 5:00 AM so I could go see a new eye doctor for a second opinion on my left eye. She was a welcome breath of fresh air. Probably spent an hour with her going over my symptoms and doing standard eye things and a new to me exam.

She told me, no my visual distortion isn't normal or likely to fix itself. She quickly pointed out I have a macular pucker that shouldn't be the issue at this time but may cause issues later in life. She suggested a different kind of test to inject contrast into my eyes to get a different perspective.

They set me up at the station and one gal is taking pictures of my retina as the other one injected dye into my vein. They gave me a minute to allow it to work more as a reddish glow settles over the room? I look up at the lights and they're all glowing red! WTF? I ask if they're starting NYE early? They informed me that is the dye and it will wear off in a bit. Gal also says my urine would glow a sick florescent yellow, it does.

So the doctor shows me the photos and with the contrast you can see inflammation in an area of my retina and what she says is some area that is still healing. So she sent in a script for the same drops I threw away two weeks ago. Hopefully this is a step forward.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:12 PM   #2676

We scheduled the installation of two new sliding glass doors on January 15.

In spite of the unseasonably mild weather we've been having, this now is an ironclad guarantee of a record-setting howling blizzard beginning the night of the 14th, with a minimum of three feet of snow with 60-knot winds that will linger in muddy dirty piles until at least mid May.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:29 PM   #2677
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
They set me up at the station and one gal is taking pictures of my retina as the other one injected dye into my vein. They gave me a minute to allow it to work more as a reddish glow settles over the room? I look up at the lights and they're all glowing red! WTF? I ask if they're starting NYE early? They informed me that is the dye and it will wear off in a bit. Gal also says my urine would glow a sick florescent yellow, it does.
Must be fluorescein dye. We used to put that in people's soft drinks, then watch them freak out when they peed orange the next day. Stupid college chem major prank, before we realized there could be negative side effects. But it was pretty funny.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:04 PM   #2678
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Must be fluorescein dye. We used to put that in people's soft drinks, then watch them freak out when they peed orange the next day. Stupid college chem major prank, before we realized there could be negative side effects. But it was pretty funny.
It was fluorescein! What a great reaction that would be to the unknowing. Yeah they did go over a bunch of side effects.
Closed Thread