What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up in South Beach, Miami today! We did a last minute get away. Bad weather in Iowa is taking its toll on many. Hopefully when we get back home, spring will be that much closer. We are missing at least one snowfall while we are gone. 60 and sunny here, it will warm up after this morning. Since we travelled from Iowa, we had our jeans and jackets with for our walk to breakfast.

Today I applied for what may be my last passport .I will be 82 when this passport expires and I doubt I will be interested in traveling at that point but who knows ?

Just staying onboard while a cruise ship visits a foreign port requires a valid passport.

Unless I am bedridden, I will always have a current passport.

Went figure skating for about an hour and a half, then sat around in B&N sipping caoffe and reading a few magazines. One article was about neutron stars.

Today I applied for what may be my last passport .I will be 82 when this passport expires and I doubt I will be interested in traveling at that point but who knows ?

Of course, even if one has lost an interest in travel as one grows older, I can think of at least one reason to consider always keeping a valid passport: medical tourism, especially for US citizens.

Bought my first batch of "recreational" marijauna over the counter.

Wow! A day we all dreamed of when we were kids - :)

Even though I do have MM creds, they expire every year and a renew costs about $100. Why not just spend that Benjamin on bed eh? So I did. Really good stuff too, all 20-25% THC.

Very good (smooth, flavorful, floral) and very potent, only 1 hit needed. Paid less too, economy of scale I guess. Very professionally packaged in light resistant, sealed and child resistant glass jars. Label had type, THC and CBD percents, safety and hazard warnings all per the legal code.

In all respects better than the medical stuff which was pulled from bins and put in plastic pill jars like the pharmacy dispenses.

Walked the pup on the beach. Converted my tax return I bonds to electronic and got that manifest in the mail. Made my mammogram appointment. Did two loads of laundry, volunteered at school, drove son to swim practice. I'm doing the cardio (bike) portion of my YMCA workout while I type this in my phone while he swims. Fortunately, DH is making dinner tonight.

See my activity under Souchef's switch engine. The bottom line was the engine turned over on battery power for the first time in 40 years.:dance:
Unfortunately I hurt njy back humping the 60 pound batteries into my trunk. Getting old is not for sissies:D
I hear ya! I had to move the raised floor joists and rim boards that are all nailed together into about a 12 x 10 foot floor to clean up after cutting furnace vent holes, etc. I tried just picking it up. That hurt. I got a cinch strap that I could put over my shoulder and lift with my legs. I got it done, but will have a slightly sore back tomorrow.

Submitted my official retirement notice. 5/31/19 is my last day.

Your post made me smile. Yay! From your posts about your weekends with canning during the autumn and cooking and home maintenance and excursions with the “young wife” in the autos you also maintain yourself, pretty sure you already know some of what you’ll be doing in retirement. You have made e-r.org a better place; I hope your retirement plans don’t include your mod/admin duties!

Today, same as yesterday: Flat on back leg in air. Tomorrow, same as today.

Hope it snowed (I love the snow)! Will have to wait for daylight and for someone to
open curtains.

Bought my first batch of "recreational" marijauna over the counter.

Wow! A day we all dreamed of when we were kids - :)

Even though I do have MM creds, they expire every year and a renew costs about $100. Why not just spend that Benjamin on bed eh? So I did. Really good stuff too, all 20-25% THC.

Very good (smooth, flavorful, floral) and very potent, only 1 hit needed. Paid less too, economy of scale I guess. Very professionally packaged in light resistant, sealed and child resistant glass jars. Label had type, THC and CBD percents, safety and hazard warnings all per the legal code.

In all respects better than the medical stuff which was pulled from bins and put in plastic pill jars like the pharmacy dispenses.

It's been legalized here for almost 2 years but local government has tried its darndest to locate the stores in inaccessible places. If one comes within 20 miles of my place, I'm there. You've made me hope again.

It's finally March weather - after several days of below freezing mornings, it was 53 at 7am and is now 70:dance:

Walked and then bathed the dog. Ran the robot vacuum and mopped the kitchen floor. Heading out shortly for lunch with one of our pastors and then errands. When I get back will marinate top sirloin in red wine and herbs to grill on skewers tonight for dinner (with lots of grilled veggies also). We've been hosting a friend who moved out of town while she was working here this week and it's been great, but it will be nice to have our routines back to normal tomorrow.

Putting my Ebike conversion together on my 29" MTB. It is a front hub 36V 500W unit with a 10ah battery that should propel my bike to 20 mph on just electric, or 25+ with me pedaling also. Good for about 15 miles range on electric only, or 30~ with pedaling/electric.

I still retain all 24 gears in the back, and now have 2 wheel drive, but can be ridden easily without any electric because it rolls freely.

Finished laying some protective tiles for the top level of our deck. We bought the house here last September and this is part of what we're doing to prepare it to be an area to enjoy and entertain all summer. Not long ago I touched up paint and resealed the wood during a rare stretch of several days with no rain in the PNW this time of year. Then came the deck. I still need to finish around the perimeter up there, but other than that, basically done.

First picture is the top level of the deck (with new nonslip green tiling above the planks of the deck). The second is the view we enjoy from said deck.

Next up: patio furniture, then the lower level decking.

Attachments

• 52854608_10213442856534209_2686533186455863296_o.jpg
    52854608_10213442856534209_2686533186455863296_o.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 46495617_10212748699980729_2851571651311566848_o.jpg
    46495617_10212748699980729_2851571651311566848_o.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Finished up the last bit of paperwork for DF's estate, nearly 2 years after his passing. I've been obsessing about the final 1041 and state equivalent. Even though the estate earned less than $600 in each of its fiscal years, I wanted to pass on the excess deductions to the heirs (DB should have enough itemized deductions to make it worthwhile for him). My head's been swimming trying to make sense of the tax forms and instructions for doing this.

Well! DB (ex-accountant) figured out that miscellaneous deductions, those subject to the 2% floor, are no longer allowed under the recent tax reform. Too bad nobody told the people at IRS writing the forms and instructions for 1041 and K-1. They tell you how to report excess deductions to the beneficiaries, but doing so does them no benefit.

So, since income is below the filing threshold, my remaining action is to do nothing.

What I did today was to crack open a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Ale I've been saving since 2010 and enjoy it. Mmmmm.....

I cleaned both bathrooms and did the floors. Normally DW does this when I'm at the gym but she needs help. Took her to her 4th biofeedback session. This was the first time the therapist used guided messaging to help remove the issues that cause headaches. I observed the whole thing, very interesting. I may choose to enroll in it after the fact. They claim that biofeedback can help reduce bruxism and that would be worth the money and time.

DW been slightly improving based upon her headache logs. Not sure if it's the biofeedback, a reduction in caffeine, or topamax as she scales off for the next month. Either way it's a slight improvement. Couple times today she said she had zero pain, that's the first time this year![emoji1]

Now I'm cooking dinner.

Band practice tonight...I've been away for a month and only got back Sunday. One of my bands left me 12 songs to learn but I didn't get around to running through them until today. One tricky one due to an alternate tuning but I should be able to fake my way through it. :cool:

Snow was forecast for today, and it is indeed snowing but it melts the instant it hits the ground. Not knowing that was going to happen we planned on staying inside today. So I have two projects for today; Wax the generator (yeah, that's weird, I'll grant you, but it looks nice) which took about 45 minutes, and cook a 5 lb. package of hamburger into meatballs for the freezer.

I just realized a few days ago the generator was 20 years old last month and has kept us warm and occupied by powering the furnace and some other items during many outages. It's a "super quiet" model (61 dBA) that I choose so the neighbors wouldn't come after us with pitchforks and torches.

BTW, it has NO gasoline in the fuel system during storage.

Attachments

• Honda generator (1 of 2).jpg
    Honda generator (1 of 2).jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Honda generator (2 of 2).jpg
    Honda generator (2 of 2).jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 65
"Waxing the generator" sounds, well, a bit dirty. :)

Went to the gym and grocery store. Took DW to her 5th biofeedback session. This was about proper breathing technique. Interesting, we both breath wrong. The session ended with guided messaging about breathing.

Yesterday a couple hours after the session DW was pain free for over 12 hours! Longest time this year. Today is looking to be the same. [emoji1]

It's been trying to snow or something. Earlier one dog came in covered in graupel(snow pellets) now it's blowing, and some thundersnow! Not going anywhere.

I've been trying to do all the things DW does so she can rest, she does a lot!

What I did today?

Back in May 2018 I was diagnosed with stage 1B pancreatic cancer, I elected to have the Whipple surgery that really took the wind from my sails, I completed chemo treatments about a month ago 15 sessions and had a ct/scan done on Monday of this week first time since surgery. My Oncologist called this AM and informed me that no cancer was detected and all internal organs were negative with exception of some spots and nodes that were benign no cancer has spread and they may have been there prior to cancer on the pancreas.
My wife and I were relieved after 9 months of ups and down physically and emotionally, I live everyday knowing I have been gifted and blessed and get to enjoy life a little longer, I don't fear death but sure glad I had a caring and loving caretaker everyday (my wife). :dance:

Congrats.

What are you going to do to celebrate? A trip, a new toy, or blowing some dough on something?

Today it was warm enough to inch into some outdoor work. Pulled an extension cord out to the shed and ran a charge cycle on the riding mower battery. Didn’t seem to take long so it probably wasn’t too run down - good. Ran the whole house generator and checked the fluids and ran the battery charger on that too. So, batteries both seemed to do well over the winter. Cleaned up in the garage a bit and called to good. Oh, I set the timer that controls some outdoor lighting ahead one hour and adjusted it for the change in sunrise sunset cycles. I need to get an astronomical timer that adjusts for the change in daylight throughout the year. Basically tinkered. Felt good.

Went to the gym and did a treadmill 5k. I changed my breathing technique and my heartrate really went down. I was shocked.

I've been doing the exercises DW has been doing for biofeedback and it has made a difference for both of us. So far much has been to do with proper breathing and some exercises to reinforce the technique. It's pretty interesting, the therapist told us we can comfortably breathe at 5-6 breathes per minute instead of 18-20 as most people do. She's right.

My blood pressure has dropped dramatically! I was running 130 something over 80 something for months. Today it's been 110 over 70ish. It's been dropping since I started doing this stuff.

DW still has a headache part of the day but it has diminished from extreme pain 24x7 to a few hours a day and manageable pain. She's still limited on what she can do, it's a process to get well.

Spent nearly the whole day brazing aluminum flats and terminals to make bus bars.

The spec on the brazing rods says 750F (400C), and one would not think it was that hard to get the work pieces up to that temperature using a propane torch with MAPP gas. The bars were just too big and thick.

In the end, I got the job done. It does not look pretty, but the joints are for electrical connections, not mechanical structural strength so it should be OK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom