Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Thanks Ron, I sure would love to see some of your carvings. I bet they are great.

I don’t carve anything - just build wood boxes, furniture, hiking sticks, and turn stuff on a lathe.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2019, 07:11 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You do beautiful work on the things you make but for some reason I thought you were going to try carving. If not you then there was someone else that had mentioned that. Thanks Ronstar.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:42 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

We saw a play last night called Communicating Doors, which was very entertaining. Today we went to The Souper Bowl, a contest where the ticket buyers walk around downtown Sausalito and and taste clam chowder at 12 of the restaurants, then vote on the best one. We had nice weather and pretty views. Some restaurants had other kinds of soup like lobster bisque or clam chowder so it was a good selection, plus the walking from one restaurant to another helped burn off some of the calories.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 01-27-2019, 05:08 AM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today I decided to check out upcoming rock and country music concerts - have not been to one in years and I want to start back up again. For the summer concerts that interested me, could not figure out on main box office website if ticket sales had not started or if already sold out. Only thing available was a megaticket for five concerts - sale began a day ago at 10 am and few seats were left. Some oddball websites seemed to have a limited number of tickets for the individual concerts but much more expensive. So I grabbed a megaticket and it was not cheap. This was more complicated than I expected. Hard to believe you have to buy a concert ticket five months or more in advance.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #145
gone traveling

Helped my daughter cut up, and split about 1/2 a truckload of firewood, that was too big for her woodstove (0 degree windchill), then went to a really good pizza buffet, that has good salad, and meal items. Trying to warm up around the fire tonight.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:53 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
While doing the Rhumba in the tundra?
Somebody mentioned the Rumba?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-28-2019, 01:13 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

It's 1AM and I am still listening to some Rumba.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
What did you do today? 2019 version.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:48 AM   #148
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What did you do today? 2019 version.

Sharing one of my favorite rhumbas since it came up.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:10 PM   #149
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Called DishTV to cancel our service after completing our two year contract. I lost count of the number of times I said, "Please cancel our service" before the CS rep finally stopped asking questions, offering a better deal, or running down the competition and agreed to do what I asked. Sigh...
Old 01-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #150

Swimming at the therapy pool. 92 degrees, too hot. I transferred to the family pool 82 degrees and much better. YMCA is awesome. I was the only one in the family pool. Heading out to dinner.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 01-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #151

Love this retirement gig, I didn't do nuthin' all day. DW took the car to the car wash just in time for the forecast rain/sleet/snow tonight, tomorrow and tomorrow night and the Deep Freeze to follow. When I pointed that out I was informed that her car would be a Garage Queen until the snow melted. In the meantime we'll use the 4WD pickup truck.

I am now so informed.

It's all still better than having to go to work.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:41 PM   #152
Moderator Emeritus

Went hiking. Saw some petroglyphs. Grilled some burgers.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:09 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Wanted to hike but -35 degrees with the wind chill so didn't do much.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:13 PM   #154

Gym day. Picked up a prescription. Got home before the snow became a problem. We might, I say might, get a half inch of snow, and yet the TV news at the gym managed to yap about it for 15 minutes. Must be a slow news day.

"Ohhhh, look! A snowflake! Mike, get a shot of that before it melts!"

"It's not a snowflake. It's a clump of cat hair".

"Well, make it out of focus so they can't tell."
Old 01-29-2019, 02:39 PM   #155

Pickleball for a few hours this morning, then lunch and a shower. Now I’m relaxing with some tea and my Kindle. I’m re-reading “The Passage”. DH and I watched the first two installments of the TV version before he decided he didn’t like it and I decided I preferred the book version.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Played Pickleball for the first time in 75 days, as was recovering from a hernia repair.
Boy, did I miss playing.
Being able to play at 10am on a weekday is one of my defining acknowledgements of being retired.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

Biked 7 miles (stationary bike) this morning

Then did online work from home today.

Its snowing now....I teach tonight.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #158
Gone but not forgotten

I finally got to see "Bohemian Rhapsody " . Great movie ! I ended up singing along with "We are the champions ".
Old 01-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #159
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I finally got to see "Bohemian Rhapsody " . Great movie ! I ended up singing along with "We are the champions ".
I need to go see that film, I’ve heard nothing but good things.

We went to see Jake Shimabukuro last year, and his closing song was Bohemian Rhapsody. He urged the audience to sing along, which gleefully complied.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:20 PM   #160
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I had a breast biopsy because the mammogram found something had changed. Sitting here with a small ice gel pack and I have to wear the bra overnight.