What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Band practice tonight. We're playing a Halloween gig on Saturday...singer finally decided on a costume (Alice Cooper) so we learned one of his songs to play at the gig.

Woke up early this morning, to my pager going off at 6:00 for a fire call (MVA at the usual intersection). Nothing like standing in the cold morning air directing traffic to wake one up. It could have been worse; at least I wasn’t one of the accident victims or one of the commuters trying to get to w*rk.

After breakfast I went into the HOA office to gather documents needed for a workmen’s comp audit next week. Now we are headed back to the main house and hoping to get to the pickleball courts in time to get a few games in.

DW and I emptied out the master bedroom closet, then I took down all the shelving, cut in painting on the ceiling, and have one coat of paint on the ceiling, waiting for that to dry. I'll do the second coat in another half hour or so and call it a day for working on the closet.

Moved MIL's furniture for new carpet install/ new windows, and moved her to our house until her place is done. She doesn't like the height of our guest bathtub, so she packed up and moved to SIL's. Helped BIL build some pendant lights out of telephone pole insulators. Stained 5 hiking sticks that I made from downed oak limbs.

My perphial vision is shot due to my Basset hound eyes and today was the day I went to Durango and had both my eyes lifted. It was an amazing experience to say the least.

I'm familiar with conscious seduction but this was to the next level. I felt no pain, nor had anxiety during the procedure. I did hear most everything, including them cutting my eyelids apart with surgical scissors. SNIP, Snip, snip, me not saying a word and feeling nothing; then responding to commands to open my eyes.[emoji41] Later I heard the team discussing elk hunting while they worked on sewing me up.

DW drove me home, it wasn't much fun. Great to see her driving but I was in a lot of pain and really couldn't see. When we got home I iced my eyes, ate some cannibas and the pain and vision issues are getting better. Hopefully in morning I'll be badly bruised but feel a little better yet. I'm going to continue with the ice as long as it's tolerable.

Last edited:
A lot of the state parks we stay at have frisbee golf courses, so we bought a couple of ‘drivers’ and had a laugh on a course. Combined with an early morning hike we got our walking in. Assembled a cheap battery operated chainsaw for cutting firewood at campsites.

Got bday gift for my kid

Bought a few things from the grocery

Spoke with my realtor about shortlist of properties

Watched Shark Tank

Walked our dog

Finished doing all the "cutting-in" on the closet paint job. It's now ready for rolling, a job that I expect will take about 20-30 minutes per coat. I may do the trim tomorrow too but I'll see how the back pain is, I may put that part off for another day.

Think I just sold one of the motorcycles, one more to go!

I worked in my community garden plot for most of the day. I went out in the morning, harvested all the remaining vegetables and then pulled out all the plants. After lunch at home, I went back out in the afternoon to till manure into all the now empty growing beds and then plant winter wheat as a cover crop. Since I am trying to overwinter my artichokes, I covered them with several bags of ground up leaves from home and a ground cover cloth weighed down with rocks. My sole remaining task before ending for the season is to plant my garlic and mulch it with straw.

After coming back home for the evening, I processed most of the vegetables I had just harvested. I must say that I really hate scrubbing pounds and pounds of carrots. I didn't have the energy to blanch and freeze the kale, so it is sitting on the porch waiting for my attention tomorrow.

Chilling out in a beachfront condo in Maui. Good snorkeling just off the beach outside the balcony. Yesterday, we saw two sea turtles swimming by.

Third time to Maui, so we just relax and let the youngins take a snorkeling trip to Molokini.

Last edited:
Finished painting the walls in the MB closet. Except for the holes where the shelves are going to go back in, it looks great. We hadn't realized how scuffed-up the walls in the closet get (they're hidden by clothes and stuff of course). Tomorrow's project is paint the baseboard trim, door, and door frame. Then put the shelves back in.

And of course this is an excellent time to cull out anything that hasn't been used for a while before [-]it all[/-] most of it goes back in the closet.

Went hiking yesterday at Kankakee River State Park, today at Starved Rock State Park. Took some photos of fall color. Left my hiking stick at a photo spot, noticed it was missing when I climbed in the truck to leave, so I ran back along the trails - there it was leaning against a tree where I left it. Also finished 4 hiking sticks and gave them to friends.

Got up late, did some financial reviews for our portfolio, had italian for dinner, settling in to watch an episode of Sons of Anarchy.

Getting ready for power out. We lucked out the last time but PG&E is increasing shut down area due to an "epic" wind event and our address is on their power out list. Charging cells and backup batteries; have plenty of batteries for lanterns and flashlights and now to find my old princess phone for when the cordless phone batteries die. Cells may or may not work during the outage...they didn't the last time, but we've still got POTS :dance::dance::dance:.

Raked leaves out in the yard for 3 hours. Came in to find a letter telling me that my original pension calculation was slightly off and I will be getting $18 per month more. I'll also get a check to make up for the prior underpayment. Woohoo! I'm sitting in high clover now!

I'm sitting in high clover now!

That’s not the way I heard it... [emoji12]

Had dinner with friends: muscles, clams, and shrimp in a white wine/lemony/marinara. Chocolate mousse cake for dessert. Did I mention three bottles of vino?

Yesterday drove over to DW's nephew's place north of Baltimore for a bit of a family gathering there, had a good time. Today was another one, thankfully closer than a 2.5 hour drive each way, only 40 minutes. Painted the first coat on the MB closet baseboard and door trim, and I'll put the second coat on in a while. The door itself will have to wait while a patch drys so I can sand it down to match the existing fake wood pattern on it.

Changed the oil and filter in the van then picked up twigs and dead branches in the yard for recycling pick up tomorrow.

Continuing my 50+ years of maintaining my autos myself rather than paying the progressively higher pricing of same services by independent shops and dealers. Local oil change price for 6 quart synthetic oil and filter change is $89+ tax and I can do the same for around $30.

Go Astros!:cool:

One of the bands had a gig last night...we all dressed up in costume. I went as a Beatle from the Sgt Pepper era.

Today back to reality...the drywall guy spent several hours sanding on Friday and GF and myself spent the day shop vacuuming the dust and wiping down the walls.

Sold the Suzuki Burgman 650. One more to go.

CA power outages

Woke up at 6 AM to discover no power. Lit a candle and made coffee with DW's French Press.
Went to Lowe's and bought a generator,and a gas Jerry can. Got it running and plugged in the freezer fridge and ice maker.
Also plugged in a power strip to charge all our stuff. Later I went to Ace hardware for an extension cord, power strip and battery operated lanterns. As I walked in the door, the power came on.
But at least now I am prepared for the next time.

0600 workout at Y, Later around 1000 figure skating about two hours, then hang out at coffee shop, rest of day goof off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom