Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #181
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
No need for travel agents any longer.
YOU are the travel agent! LOL
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2020, 12:57 PM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After waiting all day, our flight out of Guadalajara was cancelled. It will now take another 2 days to get home. Alaska Air fed us and put us up in Hotel Tapatio on top of a hill overlooking the city. It reminds us of the old castle in Edinburgh.

If you are ever in Guadalajara, suggest Holiday Inn Express by the airport. Western plumbing, Chili's and Denny's right there. Hampton Inn shares the parking lot. All known quantities when you are traveling and bone tired.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:57 PM   #183
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last night DW mentioned a place north of here, called Santa Claus Lane. She said people would come from all over to get their date milk shakes.
Well, that all it took. I picked up some dates and vanilla ice cream at the market, then took the blender outside so she could not hear it, and whipped her up a date milkshake
She said it was just as she remembered.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:47 PM   #184

Made a minor grocery run for salad stuff, then came home and sharpened most of the kitchen knives with the wet wheel grinder (Tormek Supergrind 2000) then made a big salad that will last about a week or so.

Although it was definitely pricey I've never regretted buying that Tormek grinder. It'll sharpen knives (or just about anything else with the right jig) literally razor sharp.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Generational Shock.

The, just turned eight in late December, granddaughter is here for a sleepover.

We were playing online Scrabble when DW called us for lunch. Granddaughter asked "How do we put this on 'pause'?"

Replied..."We just walk away from it."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:09 PM   #186

Getting together for brunch with siblings to plan our summer trip for a family reunion. We do this every 2-3 years, its fun to visit with cousins.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #187
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Last night DW mentioned a place north of here, called Santa Claus Lane. She said people would come from all over to get their date milk shakes.
Well, that all it took. I picked up some dates and vanilla ice cream at the market, then took the blender outside so she could not hear it, and whipped her up a date milkshake
She said it was just as she remembered.
Touched by this. And the milkshake sounds good too.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #188

I won a blue ribbon with my beagle pup. It was our first time for points, and we won one.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:36 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I won a blue ribbon with my beagle pup. It was our first time for points, and we won one.
Congratulations!
Early in our marriage we had a beagle. Great dogs, except for the howling--lol!
She would join in with every fire or police siren she heard.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #190

Have had two very frustrating days dealing with TurboTax online, which has been completely reliable for me for years. This year --- awful.

Yesterday finished everything up online and got to the eFile screen. Paid $110 for fed and state, printed out the 2 returns to PDF to check them, and there was a rando form 8995 included with my federal return. Form 8995 is "Qualified Business Income Deduction". It is new for 2019.

I don't own a business, don't have any rentals, not even any REIT mutual funds. 2 of the amounts on the form are income from my 1040. 1 amount "Qualified REIT dividend income" is a complete mystery - nothing I entered.

There are other people on the TurboTax forum with the same problem. They were told to just delete the form but it won't work for me. TurboTax wants me to pay more money to their online "tax advisor" to tell me why this form is being generated. LOL.

I don't trust TurboTax any more. Looks like I'm out $110. I guess I could just print out the return and mail it without 8995 but now I don't trust anything on it. Better to start fresh somewhere else.

Sigh. I was so close ...
Old 02-03-2020, 05:26 PM   #191

I decided to finally go through a box full of family history stuff which Dear Old Dad left me. I found a fascinating collection of oral history stories written down over 60 years ago, with tales of pioneer ancestors in the Appalachian Mountains fighting Indians, bears, and wolves (and making little distinction between them). Dad never shared any of that when he was living.

This afternoon I took advantage of the warm weather to cut back the knockout roses, which had already broken dormancy.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:44 PM   #192
Moderator Emeritus

Cleaned the carpeting in the high traffic rooms, walked the dog (several times), organized old clothes I won't need anymore for donating. Other than that, just screwed off.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Tried to work on my taxes.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #194
Recycles dryer sheets

Assembled with the help of a neighbor a barrel sauna. Now contacting the electrician to get it hooked up soon.
Scubamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:35 PM   #195
Administrator

I smoked a brisket for dinner.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #196
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Got the first shingrix shot today.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:08 PM   #197
Recycles dryer sheets

Very little, really. Went to the gym just after noon, came home and researched a couple of exercises to be added to my strength routine, then went out for dinner with my wife.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #198
Recycles dryer sheets

"Bad boys bad boys what you gonna do" thats been suck in my head since we came home from movie Bad boys for life! It was 2 hrs of non thought and a whole lotta f*** bombs thrown in just to do what? It was a just ok movie, that would have been better with less cursing.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #199

3 weeks ago I went to an event with a silent auction. I bid on and won a 3 month membership to our local YMCA. It was my intention this year to walk in a buy a membership anyway, since I like to swim for exercise and it is the only place to swim here in the winter.

Last week I attended at Tai Chi class there for the very first time in my life. It was amazing. I now look forward to my Tuesday afternoon class each week. We are doing Chen form and Yang fan form. Fan form is a real joy.

Part of my fitness journey-balance, strength, cardiovascular, and flexibilty. And joy along the way. Tai chi is for balance, but it builds strength too.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #200

Did a bunch of research on my TurboTax problem of Form 8995 is "Qualified Business Income Deduction" getting attached to my federal return. It was triggered by an amount on on the VTSAX line of the 1099-DIV in the Section 199A Dividends box. I thought surely it was an error and TurboTax support agreed and tried to help me to delete the form.

But after 2 hours of "help" I was told by a third support rep that a form dependent on an amount you entered cannot be deleted. This rep also told me that the deduction was valid.
I've done enough of my own research to believe that. Thanks to audreyh1 for setting me on the right track. TurboTax did not make an error doing my taxes.

See https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues...eits-ptps.html

for the explanation.