Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 10:31 PM   #2001
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Worked on shed foundations.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #2002

Checked over three R/C airplanes to go flying with on maybe Friday, weather permitting, and definitely Saturday. I sent in the membership form for a club in Winchester, VA and that will grant me access to the flying site. These airplanes are too big to be flying in the back yard, hence the need for a different location.

Also updated the maps on the Garmin GPS devices for my and DW's vehicles.

Today and tomorrow are forecast to be rainy with up to two inches of rain total. We're not in a drought situation but the rain is welcome.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #2003
Moderator Emeritus

Annual visit with my hip surgeon.

This was the one year later visit. All is good as x-rays look fine. He said keep up the good work walking 10,000 steps per day and playing golf. No need to come back unless I feel it needs to be looked at. (actually, both replacement hips look fine).
Old 11-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #2004
Full time employment: Posting here.

What did you do today? - 2020 version

Second heavy pass on leaves at the lake house today. Have to head back to the city to do final pass at home and haul all the filled bags out to the curb since city pickup is Saturday. I also got a great BTD idea for next year.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:35 PM   #2005
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

This was the one year later visit. All is good as x-rays look fine. He said keep up the good work walking 10,000 steps per day and playing golf. No need to come back unless I feel it needs to be looked at. (actually, both replacement hips look fine).
That's terrific!! I skipped my one year later visit with my knee surgeon back in August. I should have gone but my knee is great and I have no complaints.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #2006
Give me a forum ...

Got some free English lessons in the pet peeve forum.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #2007
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This has been the laziest day because of wind, snow and cold. I wanted to bow hunt again but I just can't take the bitter cold anymore. So, I read and fell asleep in the chair.

My son got a great bow buck last week at the ranch.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #2008
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Worked on shed foundations.
Your shed work seems to go on forever, same as my DIY solar project.

That's OK though. Retirement means you do not have to rush anything, and can take your sweet time.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #2009
Give me a forum ...

I was going to take my Tesla to Albuquerque for some minor bodywork to the rear end after backing into something. I planned it so I could make the almost 8 hour round trip during daylight hours. Too much game is migrating to chance driving after dark right now. I left shortly before 8 AM, less than 20 miles from home a mule deer committed suicide on my vehicle while I was going 70mph. No time to brake, I saw it jumping into the road right as it hit me and flew up in the air. I thought it was going to come through the windshield but it flew into the empty other lane.
I was able to get the vehicle home and I am patiently waiting for the adjustor to call. For some reason I'm still shaking.

20201112_083946.jpeg
Old 11-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I was going to take my Tesla to Albuquerque for some minor bodywork to the rear end after backing into something. I planned it so I could make the almost 8 hour round trip during daylight hours. Too much game is migrating to chance driving after dark right now. I left shortly before 8 AM, less than 20 miles from home a mule deer committed suicide on my vehicle while I was going 70mph. No time to brake, I saw it jumping into the road right as it hit me and flew up in the air. I thought it was going to come through the windshield but it flew into the empty other lane.
I was able to get the vehicle home and I am patiently waiting for the adjustor to call. For some reason I'm still shaking.
OMG that makes me shake. You're unhurt though, that's a darned good outcome for hitting a deer!
Old 11-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #2011

Got a few flights in with the UMX Turbo Timber in the back yard before the winds got too high to try flying any more.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #2012

Glad you are OK. One thing you were lucky it didn't come through the windshield. Those low to the ground vehicles front ends are a good scoop shovel.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:05 PM   #2013
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Spent the week in the RV at a great COE park in Central TX as we were in need of a change of scenery. Our daily activities are little different from when we are home other than watching the dog try to figure out how those almost tame squirrels can magically vanish from the base of a tree whenever he gets near.

The weather has been perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201108_171100.jpg (1.01 MB, 45 views)

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #2014
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

Attachment 36718

Glad youíre ok other than the shaking! Maybe get a Tesla truck for more protection from deer attacks.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #2015
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Glad you are OK. One thing you were lucky it didn't come through the windshield. Those low to the ground vehicles front ends are a good scoop shovel.
Thanks.
They call the Model Y a crossover, I'm glad it's not the Model 3, they sit 6" lower. The deer flew up, but out away from me. I feared it coming into the glass, a lower vehicle would make that more possible.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #2016
Moderator Emeritus

Went to dr for big toe pain/ stiffness. Toe joint is bone on bone. Getting toe joint reconstruction surgery next week. Toe joint replacement is possible, but doesnít last as long as knee or hip replacement. Could have the joint fused but that makes walking difficult.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #2017
Recycles dryer sheets

Got my first deer ever! With a bow. Long time friend coached me. Shot him at 25 yards. Good times!IMG_1692.JPG
Old 11-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #2018
Full time employment: Posting here.

Iíve hit two deer over the years. Almost got a third one the other night but was able to slow down enough and he bolted out of the way. Glad youíre ok MRG.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #2019

We trapped a squirrel that was digging up our vegetable garden (number 30 this year) and getting into our bird feeders. We released it in the Angeles National Forest where it can run around and meet its old friends.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:15 PM   #2020
Recycles dryer sheets

I tracked down the webbing that failed on an old rocking chair in our house. It was (5) 18-inch strips of something called Pirelli Webbing, and I replaced these under the seat of our old rocker. From the labelling on the old stuff, it looks like the chair might be Danish. it can be sat upon once again, and is reasonably comfortable. DW was very happy, and it only cost $6.45.

I also purchased a 3x6 foot sheet of clear vinyl sheeting to cover the window box in the garden. We have swiss chard and Arugula that we harvest every week and we are getting hard frosts. This covers perfectly, and I am hoping to fashion a hinged lid with the hopes of keeping fresh greens in the diet into December if possible.
Closed Thread