Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #2061
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, the picture doesn't do it justice. I was using my phone camera and not too steady plus being far away. It was a strikingly beautiful bird.
I hope none of your neighbors leave any little dogs out in their back yards. The article says they like to dine on small mammals.

Here in NC many years ago a friend of mine had a tiny dog in her back yard, and she had to swoop in to save the dog from a hawk once.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #2062

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I climbed a ladder over and over - cleaning my gutters. Then I bagged most of the remaining leaves in the yard.
OH MY WORD, what is it with men and their ladders!

I have that problem with DH. He sneaks out the ladder behind my back.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:00 PM   #2063
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
OH MY WORD, what is it with men and their ladders!

I have that problem with DH. He sneaks out the ladder behind my back.
A lot of us men have a ladder fetish......(secretly)
Old 11-21-2020, 06:10 PM   #2064
Full time employment: Posting here.

I finished my Christmas decorating today. Did laundry and some house cleaning. We ate our meals at home today and I also did an on-line yoga class. I'm restarting my stay at home plan as the virus is out of control here in Iowa. The weather is nice enough here that we had two pleasant neighborhood walks.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:33 PM   #2065
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We noticed that the water pressure inside the house was "way up" about a week ago. I tested it at over 100psi. So today, I installed a new water pressure regulator along with reworking some of the exterior plumbing and added a couple of cutoff values. Adjusted the water pressure feeding the house to 50psi. While I was at it I replaced all the exterior pipe insulation in prep for cold weather. Should be good to go now...

I wonder what a plumber would have charged us for this?
Old 11-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #2066
Give me a forum ...

Somebody mentioned ladders earlier. I happen to own 5 ladders (after giving one away).

Four of them are benign, including two that unfold to 12 ft. The scary one is the 25' extension ladder.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:21 PM   #2067

I have spent the last week up and down ladders. I'm hanging drywall on a cathedral ceiling. I have one more half sheet to go and then some 1 foot strips at the peak. Unfortunately the half sheet is directly over the stair well to the lower level.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:40 PM   #2068
Give me a forum ...

Oh man, hauling 4'x8' drysheets up a scaffold is hard. Imagine dropping one.

The guys who built my high-country home had it easier with tongue-and-groove 5" wide planks to install at up to 25' high. I myself could do that, although craning your neck all day and holding up a stapler has got to be very tiring.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:03 PM   #2069
Recycles dryer sheets

Seven mile walk along the beach, it was a BEAUTIFUL day, worked on handmade mermaid Christmas ornaments for the granddaughters, a nap, then Happy Hour here at home, Chinese take out, and the new Hulu documentary I Am Greta

Tomorrow we are going kayaking.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:07 PM   #2070
Give me a forum ...

After building trellises for the snap peas using 2x2 redwood lumber and wire fencing, I decided to build some portable planters using cedar fence boards. Boy, these cedar boards are so cheap at $2.50 for a 5"x6' board, you would think they grow on trees.

When I got done, I had the idea of building a small planter box for my sweet 4-year-old grand niece. Then, I thought of burning her name plus some graphics onto the box using my soldering iron. I have never done wood burning, but it turned out to be super easy for my simple design. Then, I sanded the box smooth to make sure no splinters will hurt her little fingers. And I put some sealer on it.

Will give it to her on her visit on Monday (we will all be wearing masks and trying to keep some distance). I already have some flower seeds for her, and some beans, and potting soil. The little girl will be so happy.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:10 PM   #2071
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Somebody mentioned ladders earlier. I happen to own 5 ladders (after giving one away).

Four of them are benign, including two that unfold to 12 ft. The scary one is the 25' extension ladder.
I credit my ladder climbing ability for helping me land the young wife.

When we were first dating, she took me to her parent's summer house on the Jersey shore to meet her dad for the first time. The house was an ancient, gigantic place, four stories tall. Because it was a summer house, it had no heat and was closed up all winter. In the spring, the family would go down to the shore and open up the house for the season. One of the big tasks was cleaning the windows, which were coated with salt spray (it was on the ocean front). Easy enough to do the inside, but the outside could only be cleaned with the windows closed. Her dad had a 40 foot extension ladder to get to the 3rd and 4th floor windows. Seeking to score points with him, I offered to do the windows, which subsequently became my regular duty. I'm convinced that's the only reason he let me have his daughter. Especially since I later capsized his sailboat with his daughter in it.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:26 PM   #2072
Give me a forum ...

I dunno about 40' ladder. Even with the 25 footer, when I used it for my high-country home where it is often windy, I had to rig up guy ropes for fear of having the ladder blown off.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:34 PM   #2073
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I dunno about 40' ladder. Even with the 25 footer, when I used it for my high-country home where it is often windy, I had to rig up guy ropes for fear of having the ladder blown off.
I did once get stuck on my own roof after my ladder (25 ft.) blew over. It took about 20 minutes before the young wife came outside looking for me. Since it was January and I had no coat on, it was a long 20 minutes.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #2074
Give me a forum ...

I was more afraid the ladder got blown off with me riding near the top.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:47 PM   #2075
Moderator Emeritus

You folks still using tall ladders really need to assess the risks at your age. (yeah, I know you are all younger than me, but 60+?)

A local fellow I know personally (50+ years old), fell off the top rung of a 12' ladder this Spring and landed on his head (on concrete). He is now in a nursing home paralyzed and in a wheelchair....for the foreseeable future. Plus, he can't speak anymore.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:42 PM   #2076
Give me a forum ...

Ours is a Grundfos. Bulletproof so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Replaced the main zone circulation pump on the heating system. 3rd time in 2 years I think. I think I got the last early failure replaced under warranty, so I am going to take this one back and see if they will give me another one. But the person who built this house over did everything, and had put a 4th zone in, with circ pump stubbed out for some future need, so this morning I just moved that one on place of the failed one. If the supplier will give me a warranty replacement, I'll keep it as a spare. Also just found out that Home Depot sells them for less than this plumbing supplier does.

Will clean the pellet stove out after lunch, then take the truck and trailer and go get a ton of pellets. Down into the teens tonight....
Old 11-21-2020, 10:56 PM   #2077
Give me a forum ...

Walked around the port with my peeps. Took another 3-4 fotos of the sunsets out the back door.
Had a good consult with my PHP. She approved of me dropping my statins and metformin (replaced with berberine; not going naked...yet).
Finished a 7-day water fast on Thursday. Starting again tomorrow. Blood ketones still about 100 mg/ dL even after 2 days of eating and drinking.
As it is storm season again. Bought a separate UPS for DW and self for our CPAPs.
Met more neighbors today by chance. There used to be gatherings on Friday nights to meet up, but not since we moved in.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:42 AM   #2078

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You folks still using tall ladders really need to assess the risks at your age. (yeah, I know you are all younger than me, but 60+?)

A local fellow I know personally (50+ years old), fell off the top rung of a 12' ladder this Spring and landed on his head (on concrete). He is now in a nursing home paralyzed and in a wheelchair....for the foreseeable future. Plus, he can't speak anymore.
A lot of people use ladders unsafely and a lot of people don't have a lot of experience with ladders. It's not always about age, but age does become more of an issue eventually.

I'm 58 and still use ladders...in fact, I shingled my house and garage this past summer. But, I'm very fit and have decades of experience with ladders, scaffolding, and roofs. I have shingled dozens of houses, understand my limitations, practice safety, and am cautious. I also know people in their 20's that should never be allowed near a ladder.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #2079

I am gonna be up on the ladder today - just a few steps on the step ladder to put up my outdoor christmas lights. (but yeah, tall ladders are a bad idea for anyone. breaking bones is a quick way to wreck your retirement)

I know it's early, but I'm not the earliest in my neighborhood, and it's so dark already by 6pm and I like the twinkly light. I like to get this out of the way before thanksgiving, as the tree takes me about 2 days to get done, so that'll be next weekend.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #2080
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of Christmas lights, I will have to do that soon.

For years, I stopped putting up the lights when the kids got to teenage. Then, two years ago, my next door neighbor gave us some new LED lights and insisted that I mounted them. She even said she would come over to do it for me if I did not want to do it. Such arm twisting!

It's a simple job, as I already had hooks left on the fascia boards. And I only need a step ladder, not a tall one. No lights on the 2nd story. No way. Too much work, for a grinch like me.