Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 12:38 AM   #2221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Made a quick errand to get some food items and hardware at Home Depot for a project before starting a self-quarantine tomorrow.

My children who live in town will also be starting their 10-day quarantine, so that we can get to enjoy meals together, starting on Dec 19.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #2222
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lit up 2 brush piles at the farm. 4" of snow on the ground and NH requires no permitting, time of day restrictions if the ground is covered with snow. 20lb propane tank and that Harbor Freight flame thrower gets the job done.

Now time to eat the very last of the Thanksgiving leftovers.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #2223
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got the outside Christmas lights up. Got the tree up and positioned.

It looks like it will get over 40 degrees by 1pm here, so I plan to take a break and go golfing for the afternoon, then finish up with the tree garland/lights so that DW can decorate it.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:24 AM   #2224
Give me a forum ...

Last week I ordered a couple pizzas for a gathering of our pod... the credit card alert on my phone and the receipt both say $53.50... the credit card says $56.50... I can't remember the last time I saw a discrepancy like that.

Disputed the $3 excess and it is all sorted but very odd in my experience.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #2225

I got up and lazed around awhile. Then I worked out, planted some bulbs (I was supposed to have done that 2 weeks ago) and did a few house chores. After lunch I'm going to work on my potting shed, and tonight I have a girls night out. We're going to make wood crafts. And drink wine, of course.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #2226

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Last week I ordered a couple pizzas for a gathering of our pod... the credit card alert on my phone and the receipt both say $53.50... the credit card says $56.50... I can't remember the last time I saw a discrepancy like that.

This happened to me once- apparently the waiter changed a 7 to a 9 on my bill and gave himself a larger tip...
Old 12-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #2227
Give me a forum ...

I can see that but in this case there was no tip involved... I paid the tip in cash.

Actually, I just thought of something... the person who I spoke with on the phone mentions a $3 delivery fee that I had forgot about and doesn't show on the receipt I received nor on the credit card charge alert that I received shortly after ordering... so it might be that... not really a discrepancy after all.. just poor procedures on the part of the pizzaria to not put the $3 delivery charge on the bill or in the initial credit card charge.

Now I have to get back online and withdraw the dispute. Ugh!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-09-2020, 12:03 PM   #2228

We took a drive down the Pacific Coast Highway south of the 101 to Pacific Palisades yesterday. It was a nice and warm day on the coast. We stopped at many locations to shoot some video. The surfers were out in force.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:39 PM   #2229
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can see that but in this case there was no tip involved... I paid the tip in cash.

Actually, I just thought of something... the person who I spoke with on the phone mentions a $3 delivery fee that I had forgot about and doesn't show on the receipt I received nor on the credit card charge alert that I received shortly after ordering... so it might be that... not really a discrepancy after all.. just poor procedures on the part of the pizzaria to not put the $3 delivery charge on the bill or in the initial credit card charge.

Now I have to get back online and withdraw the dispute. Ugh!
Leave it be, they can figure out how to add to their billing system, not put it on after the fact. If enough people dispute they will get the message...of course at 3 bucks people might not even notice.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #2230

An unscheduled trip to the cottage as the furnace was acting up - read dying! Has been struggling a bit the last two seasons and was 20+ years old. I'm incredibly fortunate as my cottage neighbor owns an HVAC business and was up at his place doing renovations. So today a 'new' furnace goes in. Actually a six-month old high-efficiency Carrier that was too small for the place it was originally installed. Very lucky as my neighbor had a couple of techs up at his place helping. It can be a challenge to get things done quickly out here in the boonies. So the guys are downstairs doing the install - God bless!!

I also took the opportunity to set up a couple of Arlo cameras that I got from Costco on 'Black Friday' sale. Setup was a breeze and it is fun to be able to keep an eye on the seasonal changes as they happen.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #2231

Quote:

I had that happen at a food truck. I contacted their website to complain. They said that the error was due to not fixing a local sales tax from a previous stop earlier in the week. They quickly refunded my money. I wonder how many tax dollars over charge by locality taxes they pocket....
Old 12-09-2020, 02:58 PM   #2232

Day before yesterday took DW's car (2014 Honda Accord) in for the state annual inspection, oil change, tire rotation, and do a load test on the battery. Having that last one done has caught several about-to-fail batteries so I do it at the inspection. This time the battery was low, so they recharged it and then tested, and found what they believed was an open diode on the alternator. The good news he said, was that Honda has a service bulletin on the alternator for this issue and they covered it 100% on his buddy's Honda. So he recommended taking it to the Honda dealer and see what they say. BTW, the estimate on the Honda alternator installed is ~$1,000.

Next day, yesterday, we trek to the Honda dealer and drop it off there. Several hours later, they say they can't find anything wrong with it, they tested everything twice and it all checks okay. Hmmmm. Well, I get that electrical stuff can sometimes be ambiguous/intermittent. And DW does tend to make a lot of short local trips so that may well have contributed to a low battery which in turn may have create the erroneous test result?

The good news is that both the local shop and the Honda dealer seem to be running honest shops. The local guy I was sure of, been going there for nearly 20 years. Nobody was in a hurry to sell me a $1,000 alternator. I did look around at aftermarket parts and yeah, I guess Honda alternators are gold plated or something. They're all pricey. Last time I bought an alternator it was ~$35 but that was in 1978 so I got a touch of sticker shock there.

So we'll wait and see, but I'll be checking battery voltage frequently for a while.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #2233
Recycles dryer sheets

Did a few chores outside. Sprayed herbicide on the garage roof to knock down the moss that builds up.

Then I noticed some old wasp nests up high in the eves. Since the nests were way too high to reach by ladder I used a long piece of 1 PVC pipe to reach up and knock the nests down.

Outsmarted myself with the pipe trick when small chunks of old and dried up hornet nest came down the inside of the pipe and right into my face.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:35 PM   #2234

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Then I noticed some old wasp nests up high in the eves. Since the nests were way too high to reach by ladder I used a long piece of 1 PVC pipe to reach up and knock the nests down.
I usually leave the nests up as they discourage other wasps from moving in. You can actually buy fake nests for the same purpose.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:45 AM   #2235

Was fitted for my first pair of contacts, now I need to buy readers. Took a long walk to deliver chanterelle mushrooms we had picked and cleaned to two different friends. Drove to pick up take out food.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:32 AM   #2236
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to pick up DGD from school yesterday and decided to swing into local drive thru car wash. We were in the "dry down /free vacuum" area. I was drying it down and DW was vacuuming when DGD starting crying and calling MEEMA just fell! I ran around and found her trying to get up. I helped her up and sat her in car. She was pulling the vacuum hose around to drivers side and slipped . She did a faceplant on the asphalt. After calming DGD down a little we headed out for ER. After a CT and a long wait we got results. No broken bones or brain bleeds just a lot of pain. This morning a good bit of swelling around her eyes forehead and nose. we had planned to go get her car serviced this am but I'll put it off till next week.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #2237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
Went to pick up DGD from school yesterday and decided to swing into local drive thru car wash. We were in the "dry down /free vacuum" area. I was drying it down and DW was vacuuming when DGD starting crying and calling MEEMA just fell! I ran around and found her trying to get up. I helped her up and sat her in car. She was pulling the vacuum hose around to drivers side and slipped . She did a faceplant on the asphalt. After calming DGD down a little we headed out for ER. After a CT and a long wait we got results. No broken bones or brain bleeds just a lot of pain. This morning a good bit of swelling around her eyes forehead and nose. we had planned to go get her car serviced this am but I'll put it off till next week.
Ohmigosh! How disconcerting. Best wishes to "meema."
Old 12-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #2238
Full time employment: Posting here.

Worked with my wife to set up income draws from her retirement accounts for 2021. Planned draw for the year is right at 4%.

Comfortable enough with that considering we plan to take one of our Social Security accounts in the second half of 2022. We will be able to add some ESOP shares to our retirement accounts about then. At that point, some of those draws will become Roth conversions.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #2239
Administrator

We went out to check on our garden plot and took a short hike to the RC model airplane field next door to the gardens. I was thinking of my friend Walt34, so I took this picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RC field.jpg (747.1 KB, 65 views)
Old 12-10-2020, 04:20 PM   #2240
Give me a forum ...

Anxiously waiting for the snow that's forecast. Hopefully three days of fun. Probably won't be much accumulation here 9" maybe. I ran out and picked up some supplies for hopefully a long snowy weekend.
I decided to challenge myself and made chocolate truffles. I'm not a baker and have never done much with chocolate so this was out of my element. While they're not the prettiest they're very good. Coated with pecans, sprinkles, and some with white chocolate. All were enhanced with about 30mg of THC. Sadly I can only eat one .
I utilized the sous vide for working with the chocolate what a great tool for the job. I was really surprised that few people have documented these as the high fat content is a great delivery method.
Closed Thread