Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #2261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
This morning I awoke to the alarm clock for the last time ever on a Monday morning.

Friday will be my last day of w#rk after 25.5 years with the organization.
Woo-hoo! Congrats.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #2262

Quote:
This morning I awoke to the alarm clock for the last time ever on a Monday morning.

Congratulations!
Next Monday you will have the biggest grin on your face all day long!!
Old 12-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #2263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Congratulations! A true achievement.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:03 PM   #2264
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Congrats! It is the best feeling. Monday is now my favorite day of the week. You will love next Sunday night also. And all the ones that follow.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:20 PM   #2265
Give me a forum ...

My usual mantra of TGIM (Thank God It is Monday) failed today, miserably.

Stopped at Wallymart for a couple of items, seemed the parking lot was pretty full. Ignoring the erarly warning sign, went into the store, picked up three items, proceeded to the usual self checkut lanes. They were blocked off, hmmm, bummer, mosey on to the other end of the cash register line for the other self checkouts. Along the way about eight lanes for wo(manned)checkout had six to eight people in line. Arriving at the other self checkout there was a line, unusual.

Turned out there were ten people waiting in line for the nine presently occupied self checkout registers.

As result had some extra distance to walk back across the width of the lot, to where my truck was parked, which was fine. I usually park far from the entrance just to get extra leg streching.

Since the Guv. effective the 12th, forbade all establishments from serving food for indoor consumption, I guess folks needed to stock up. The funny part was, still lots of shopping carts were topped with big bundles of toilet paper.

Conjecture: More input at home, therefore more output, thus more wipes. The water utilities are happy, for the frequent flushes. Had lots of rain lately, more in offing, supply is no preblem.

BTW in some areas, not only there is a charge for water use, but based on water use are the sewage rates.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #2266
Give me a forum ...

Made a call I've been dreading. I was told a former co-worker had a terminal diagnosis a couple weeks ago. Took a while to get up the guts to call, glad I did. Can't do much for someone in this situation but I did make someone smile for a little while today. He made it easy.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:05 PM   #2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
BTW in some areas, not only there is a charge for water use, but based on water use are the sewage rates.
That is the case here which is based on the reasonable assumption that water that goes into the house will also exit via the sewer pipes. If desired one can purchase a separate water meter for outside use for car washing, lawn watering, etc., and that amount will be subtracted from the sewer charge annually if I remember to take the meter to their office to be read.

All weather forecast services (which are of course based on the same data from NOAA) and NOAA itself are universal in forecasting varying amounts of snow, from a low of 5 inches to a high of 15 inches. I finally put fuel into the snowblower, thereby assuring a minimal snowfall, if any. Either that or we'll get snow rear-end deep to a giraffe.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:08 PM   #2268
Give me a forum ...

Walt34, thanks for the reminder to bring down the snowblower (snow prevention device) and check to make sure it works. This method has worked just fine for the past few years.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:06 PM   #2269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Woo-hoo! Congrats.

Thank you very much!
Old 12-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Congratulations!
Next Monday you will have the biggest grin on your face all day long!!
Thank you! I believe that your powers of prognostication are right on the money!
Old 12-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #2271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Congratulations! A true achievement.
Thank you! I see the light at the end of the tunnel (and no, it isn't a train!)
Old 12-14-2020, 07:11 PM   #2272

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicamuxen View Post
Congrats! It is the best feeling. Monday is now my favorite day of the week. You will love next Sunday night also. And all the ones that follow.
Thank you! I'm looking forward to watching 60 Minutes and not dreading their ticking clock!
Old 12-14-2020, 09:00 PM   #2273
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you! I'm looking forward to watching 60 Minutes and not dreading their ticking clock!
Goodbye forever to Monday Eve.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:44 PM   #2274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Goodbye forever to Monday Eve.
Yes indeed - a fond farewell!
Old 12-15-2020, 11:58 PM   #2275
Give me a forum ...

Finished up the supports for the tool shed deck.

Next, on to the redwood 2x6's.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:42 AM   #2276
gone traveling

I fixed up an electric boat trolling motor that someone gave me that didn't work. After unscrewing the power head lid, I saw the crossed/burnt wiring that had caused a short. It was also missing the two battery connector clamps.

I found an old set of jumper cables hanging in the garage (not used for years), that already had good clamps attached. I cut off the clamps from one end, stripped the wires, and mounted new electrical connectors to them, re-routed the wires so they weren't touching, and re-assembled the motor head...works well !
Old 12-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #2277

I made soap yesterday which was a lot of fun. I'm already plotting my next batch.

Today I'm going to a friend's house to wrap her Christmas presents, because she hates it and I love it. I used to do it every year for her but she moved about 30 miles away 5 years ago. This is the first time we've done it since then. Retirement is awesome!
Old 12-16-2020, 07:35 AM   #2278
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I made soap yesterday which was a lot of fun. I'm already plotting my next batch.
Excellent! Hot process or cold process? What was your recipe? Any scent? Do you have a special mold?
Old 12-16-2020, 08:09 AM   #2279

Reading through the posts are always fun. So much to do and in reality so little time to get them done.

Congrat >> Calico

RobbieB >>> looks good and projects like that are so much fun. Keep us posted, please.

Went to ranch and worked on some fencing (buck&rail) and redid a shelve at the cabin. I fired up the wood stove and had a very solitude day. I made lunch there and just enjoyed life.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #2280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Excellent! Hot process or cold process? What was your recipe? Any scent? Do you have a special mold?
Hot process. I was afraid to use a mold because it would come out too thick, but those came out pretty good! Lemongrass. I made it with coconut oil, olive oil, lard and shortening. It came out a little soft. I'm going to try to make a harder bar next time. Also the guys want one, so less moisturizing stuff in that one.

IMG_20201215_161133897.jpegIMG_20201216_081815307.jpeg