Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 03:45 PM   #2321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After plowing the driveway, I had to move the ATV from the garage to the shop. #nevergrowup

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #2322
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Was a beautiful day again today so plugged away at a few more vases. Got four vases shaped and got a coat of varnish on them. I made a cedar whiskey jug and it turned out pretty nice. The colour is absolutely beautiful. I got about 20 made now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5863.jpg (63.5 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5866.jpg (36.6 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5860.jpg (27.3 KB, 288 views)
Old 12-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #2323

^^^^^^
Wow!
Old 12-19-2020, 07:46 PM   #2324
Give me a forum ...

Started out cold and foggy here. Laid low in the morning. Got some more deck boards down. But not all. And the tape reveals I'll need another trip to the Depot.

Such is life.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #2325
Give me a forum ...

Had another COVID sucks day. My DH brother and his wife called to say they were out enjoying the sunny day and driving past our house. We agreed on the phone they would stop and we'd see each other outside wearing masks.

About 5 minutes in my SIL started to break down and tell me their youngest son and his wife had suddenly separated after 10 years of marriage. She was just broken up over it and there I stood 6 ft away wearing a mask.

That son of hers is my favorite nephew and I was in tears, she was in tears and we might have each been on a different planet. I tried to say the right things, but in the middle of all this was simply thinking "Bleep you COVID"...

As they drove down our driveway I sent a text saying, "I love you and all I want to do is give you a hug". Now I'm beating myself up that I didn't just do it.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:22 PM   #2326
Recycles dryer sheets

Since it is 2020, we decided to do our family Christmas get together a little different this year. Cases are rising in our area, so an indoor gathering was out of the question.

So this year, we had a small outdoor gathering. Fortunately the weather today was good - 0 degrees C and a light wind - hey it's December in Canada! The FIL/MIL, DD's and spouses and us met for an outdoor, socially distanced Christmas. We had a fire pit set up, ate chili, mulled wine and cookies while outdoors. We wore masks, except while eating and had lots of room to stay 2 metres apart. It wasn't much of an inconvenience at all, and felt more like being at an outdoor Christmas market minus the crowds. Plus we got a chance to see the immediate family for a couple of hours

At the end of the day, the consensus was that this approach worked well for us this year and was consistent with my motto for 2020 "When Life Hands You Lemons, Make Limoncello!" Happy Holidays!
Old 12-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #2327
Give me a forum ...

Went to get breakfast at McDonalds it was 6° when we left. I took our one little dog with me, he's on his last days and he always likes to ride along. He was peppy after coming back.

DW and I went downtown and walked around. We walked by this guy I saw him when I turned to point out some ducks to DW. We both about jumped into the river.. On the way back it had moved, DW saw it, took me forever as his color is the same as the rocks. 20201220_121106.jpeg
Old 12-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #2328

After online church I prepped the front guest room for one of the kids (they haven't told me yet who gets the room with the comfy mattress and who gets the room with the futon and the TV). Then watched a YouTube lessons & carols service compiled from several years of our annual program which has been done each year since 2000. The music director did a great job - some pieces had 'live' video from last year (the only year we have any decent quality video from) and others had audio with either a selection of still photos from recent years or appropriate artwork. He also compiled a list of every singer (nearly 300) from over the years as well as all the orchestra musicians and others. It brought back a lot of wonderful memories and makes me realize how much I enjoy choral singing. It will probably be next fall before we are fully back to singing in large groups again.

Now I'm giving little doggie a break from his crate prison on my lap while I catch up here and wait for my sourdough to rise. Making pressure cooker beef and farro soup for dinner, so some warm sourdough should go very nicely with it.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:50 AM   #2329
Full time employment: Posting here.

My best friend called yesterday morning and ask if we might like to meet up for a late lunch. We met them and ate outside. It was great to get to talk/be together for the 1st time since May. That day we met them and 4 other couples near Tellico plains Tn. on our motorcycles and then rode over the Cherohalla Skyway, had a picnic lunch at one of the pulloffs and then went our separate ways in Robbinsville NC. We really hope 2021 will allow us to be together with friends and family again.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #2330

Installed an altimeter/variometer in one of the R/C airplanes and this reports back to the transmitter via telemetry so in addition to things like battery voltages and electric motor power draw I can now know with some measure of certainty what the airplane's altitude is. The claimed resolution is +/- one foot and that does seem to be accurate - it measured the drop in altitude from the workbench to floor, and the increase in altitude from me carrying it upstairs from the basement.

Aside from just the "cool factor" this is useful because the R/C field that the club flies from is only three miles from a full-size airport (yes they know about the R/C field) in Winchester, VA and so the 400 foot altitude restriction for R/C airplanes is closely adhered to as much as is possible.

But I know from experience that just "eyeballing" altitude is very inaccurate. Decades ago I found a cheap wristwatch that had a recording altimeter in it and strapped that to an R/C powered glider and took it up until I could just barely see it. When it came back down I was astonished to read that it had gone up to 1,500 feet! So now I can set an alarm on the radio just as there is for low battery voltage, only this one for altitude over 400 feet.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #2331
Give me a forum ...

Was at the favorite mechanic. He replaced front wheel hubs of 2012 CTS4 Caddillac, 60K miles, with bad magnetic rings. They had a rough time getting out the old ones. The almost bad and the bad and ugly.
The design engineeers should be shot, along with all those who approved it for production, or sentenced to ten years of doing nothing but replacing these every day eight hours a day. After which they would probably do themselves in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0165.jpg (549.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0164.jpg (528.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 12-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #2332
Administrator

Yesterday, I put together little bags of Taza chocolate discs and a card for each of our neighbors and then walked up and down the street hanging them on the door knobs. Then I dragged out my 6" refractor telescope for the first time in years and went out to look at the Great Conjunction, along with what seemed to be everyone else in town. (Actually, "and" is the great conjunction.) Today, I'm smoking a brisket.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:35 AM   #2333
Give me a forum ...

(actually yesterday evening), had garage door company come out and do maintenance on the door and opener and had a surge protector added. It was starting to make quite a bit of noise and not open as well, thought we might need a new opener. Now it works as good as new for less than $100.
Also, thanks to information from members of the forum, have an electrician coming out to place a whole house surge protector.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #2334
Give me a forum ...

Tool shed deck done!

150 sq-ft of wasted space now functional -
Old 12-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #2335

Today was DW's birthday. Our granddaughter snuck over early and decorated the front of our porch. She also left a beautiful grandmother necklace that had 3 little hearts, each engraved with the first letter of our grandchildren's name.
I snuck a small piece of carrot cake in and put 4 candles on it for her.
I also had a card and present for her.
She was so overwhelmed she just sat shaking her head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7095.jpg (531.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201222_082212.jpg (453.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 12-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #2336
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Today was DW's birthday. Our granddaughter snuck over early and decorated the front of our porch. She also left a beautiful grandmother necklace that had 3 little hearts, each engraved with the first letter of our grandchildren's name.
I snuck a small piece of carrot cake in and put 4 candles on it for her.
I also had a card and present for her.
She was so overwhelmed she just sat shaking her head.
That’s really nice.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #2337
Give me a forum ...

RobbieB>>> that looks great!

Souschef>>> You really did have a great day! Life is good.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #2338
Give me a forum ...

Grouted basement bathroom tiles, cut and painted baseboards and casing, went to the big box store for shut-offs and feed lines, and ran to a friend's place to borrow his PEX crimper.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #2339

Yesterday I did caroling. A flute trio, with no rehearsal. Playing flute with breath guards on our flutes, socially distanced, outside. We froze. But it was nice. We visited homes of a couple of 80 year-olds. One, a fellow musician, she and her husband retired music professors, obviously socially distancing, she cried unexpectedly (she did not expect to cry...). The next, another 80 year old, with out of state children visiting. They invited us in but we said no. (YIKES!) Then a bunch of younger folks, with 2-5 year old children. We stayed outside, played in streets and sidewalks, in the wind and with snow on the ground. We were given cookies and candy, which we graciously received then discarded out of sight.

Good fun all around.

I would do it again. It was fun.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #2340

Drove down to the R/C flying site to try and fly some airplanes before the cold front moves in. No such luck, it's waterlogged from melting snow. I kind of expected that but not knowing the site very well I was hoping that drainage was not an issue. Now I know. Sigh.