Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #2341
Moderator Emeritus

Went to Costco for gasoline and a few last minute goodies. I've never seen the store so crowded. Had to park in the hinterlands of the lot. All checkouts had big lines. I'm done for the day!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #2342
Recycles dryer sheets

I just finished my last day of work for the year...26 weeks down, 78 to go...

And I just mixed up some pumpkin bread batter and placed it in the oven. Starting to smell it now. Sitting on the sofa, listening to the rain, cat sitting next to me while I wait for my baked goodies to be done...not a bad afternoon
Old 12-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #2343
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hadnít seen the annual posting of the flash mob symphony but I did find a good 2020 version. Merry Christmas everybody.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #2344
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
I hadnít seen the annual posting of the flash mob symphony but I did find a good 2020 version. Merry Christmas everybody.

Wow! Thanks for posting!
Old 12-24-2020, 03:39 PM   #2345
Moderator Emeritus

What did you do today? - 2020 version

Yesterday we got our hair cut for the second time this year (the last time was in June!). It was a little nerve-wracking to go into Supercuts but everyone was masked and social distancing. Anyway, I had about 4" cut off and I am much happier with my hair now.

Last night from 1-4 AM, we had a very loud storm with high winds, rains, and thunder! It's gone now but our daytime temperatures went from the 70's yesterday to the 40's today. BRRR And the winds are still pretty strong so the 40's feel colder than that. Stupid me, I wasn't thinking and wore sandals.

Today we went to a slightly fancier-than-usual restaurant for lunch. I cast my wiser eating habits aside and ordered their chicken parmesan which was utterly divine as always and probably a billion and a half calories. We went to this restaurant more before we retired; that same year they moved the restaurant a mile or two farther away, also. They still remember us by name, though, like Cheers . We wished Mr. Tony (the chef/owner) and the rest of the family a very Merry Christmas.

Then I came home to find my Christmas present-from-me-to-me on the porch waiting for me.... 36 Animal Crossing amiibo cards. Pretty cool. Another fast and perfect delivery from Target. They are winning me over.

Frank is doing his laundry over here right now.

So anyway, I guess if I was to summarize what I did today, I'd say I did nothing but it adds up to a fairly long post.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #2346
Moderator Emeritus

1. ROMEO meeting (daily) at BK - 7:00 am. Give BK counter/kitchen workers gift cards, cash, etc.
2. One ROMEO brought in goodies (banana bread, lemon cake, cookies...YES!!)
3. Walked dog @ 9:00 AM
4. Walmart for last minute stuff.
5. Walked dog @ noon!
6. Chrome Book time (here).

Screwing off the rest of the day!

(Oh, walk dog at 5:00 pm.)
Old 12-24-2020, 06:02 PM   #2347

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
I hadnít seen the annual posting of the flash mob symphony ...
Someone else usually posts it but I did bookmark it:

Old 12-24-2020, 08:36 PM   #2348
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Someone else usually posts it but I did bookmark it:

Thanks for posting that. Iíve seen it before and always appreciated the musicians. This time I watched it and appreciated seeing the people gathered around, standing closely, and seeing their smiles!

Oh, how I miss the way things used to be!
Old 12-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #2349
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Thanks for posting that. Iíve seen it before and always appreciated the musicians. This time I watched it and appreciated seeing the people gathered around, standing closely, and seeing their smiles!

Oh, how I miss the way things used to be!
Those were the days, huh? I miss seeing lots of smiling people and smiling back at them. Some day we'll see that again, or at least that is my hope.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:11 PM   #2350
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Those were the days, huh? I miss seeing lots of smiling people and smiling back at them. Some day we'll see that again, or at least that is my hope.
Here's a start:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 12-24-2020, 10:47 PM   #2351
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yesterday we got our hair cut for the second time this year (the last time was in June!). It was a little nerve-wracking to go into Supercuts but everyone was masked and social distancing. Anyway, I had about 4" cut off and I am much happier with my hair now.
Neither DW nor I have had a haircut since late last Dec. It's not a big deal for me, as I'm bald and the long hair on the side isn't a big deal. It might be able to meet in the middle if I was a combover sort of guy. I thought about continuing to grow it and do the fat bald guy pony tail thing, like the comic book store owner on the Simpsons. But I'm not that fat any more, so it wouldn't work.

DW, on the other hand, has the longest hair she's ever had. Luckily it's pretty curly, and even at 65 she hasn't gone gray, so it tends to look pretty good no matter what. But she's jonesing for a haircut, or at least a trim. I think that's the thing she misses the most from the pandemic. But we're not going to do it until after we get vaccinated. We've gone this long, we can hold out a little longer.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:54 AM   #2352
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
....... But she's jonesing for a haircut, or at least a trim. I think that's the thing she misses the most from the pandemic. But we're not going to do it until after we get vaccinated. We've gone this long, we can hold out a little longer.

Smart that you are holding off until the vaccine. I held off for about 7 months. Went to the barber a couple of months ago. 3 masked lady barbers in there. Only one customer at a time and had to be masked.

I went in again last week. Same 3 lady barbers. Only 1 masked. And another customer with no mask. They are really letting their guard down. Makes no sense. People are taking less precautions now when the threat is more severe than before.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #2353

Just me and DW at the lake house Christmas AM. She had found a blood orange mimosa recipe that we wanted to try, so we bought a bottle of champagne at the grocery store yesterday. This morning she squeezes 3 blood oranges into a cup and tells me to grab the champagne from the fridge and open it. I grab it, and pop it, and she says "Wait!"

I had grabbed the $55 bottle that friends had given us for a special celebration, instead of the $15 grocery store bottle from yesterday. And it was now opened. So it had to be consumed. All of it.

2+ mimosas later, I am on the couch having a GREAT late morning nap.

Fresh squeezed blood orange juice, a good champagne, and just trickle of Solerno Blood orange liqueur. Goes well with naps.

Happy Holidays all.....
Old 12-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #2354

We are staying home this year but with multiple texts, photos, and videos back and forth with family. We made fried ham & scrambled eggs for breakfast and ate way too much, I'm still stuffed. DW wanted to do a take-off on a SNL skit and sent out a photo of me with two recently acquired R/C airplanes and her in a robe.

For those who haven't seen it:

Old 12-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #2355
Give me a forum ...

Christmas visit:

Old 12-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #2356
Give me a forum ...

Opened presents, ate presents and drank presents. Had coffee and coffee cake. Going to finish up with hot turkey sammies.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #2357
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Christmas visit:
Cute youngsters! I see your wife's face in a couple of the girls. You two are so blessed!
Old 12-25-2020, 07:12 PM   #2358
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Cute youngsters! I see your wife's face in a couple of the girls. You two are so blessed!
I certainly am.....never had kids, never wanted kids, and now I'm surrounded by them....and loving it....played a lot of 'balloon games' today...batting them to & fro with hands and feet....forgot the perpetual aches & pains for a while....and if they're back tomorrow, (as I'm sure they will be), it's just the 'cost of doing business'.

Old 12-25-2020, 08:15 PM   #2359
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had a Zoom Christmas this morning. One son, DIL and GD are 500 miles away. Our GS is in New Mexico, the other son, DIL and GD are relatively local.
It was great seeing and talking to them.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #2360

Had our son, DIL and grandkids for brunch and presents. It was so nice.....we have missed quite a few holidays and family events with them this year. Brunch turned out well, presents were fun but the best part was just sitting and visiting in person with them. Happy New Year to all!