Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #2361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I spent our first Christmas Day with just the two of us in the 36+ years we've been together. There has always been family for both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. No living parents now. The only sibling (wife's) and our only nephew are 1,700 miles away. And our only child is 200 miles away today visiting her friend's parents through the weekend, although we did see them yesterday. First time ever not seeing our DD at Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I have to say I'm a bit down because of that.

Decided to open up the new micro-cut paper shredder. Definitely a step up from the standard cross-cut shredders. Mix the cuttings with the scooped cat litter, and I think we're safe with our shredded documents.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #2362

We had our two sons, our DIL and our grandson over. Our grandson turned two in November and he's obsessed with airplanes. So after dinner a couple of the adults took some boxes and lots of packing tape and built him an airplane. He's holding a small model of the "Spirit of St Louis". He always has to hold a plane when he's here! And that's his Dad.

The 2nd picture is of him watching his uncle play Animal Crossing. They don't do TV at his house so he's pretty interested in screens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B3B206F2-5481-4C4A-838E-4EA97892AD1C.jpg (540.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 79A0E2EE-9E7A-4AAF-AE56-D556FE4E7D9E.jpg (501.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 12-25-2020, 09:08 PM   #2363
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Other than watching snow and thermometer dropping, currently 17F, nada, zip, nothing.
Tomorrows activity, doing nothing. Well maybe take a "w*rk break" to make lunch and tea or coffee.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:08 PM   #2364

I went to the ranch this morning and spent time at the cabin till noon. I then went home and my son and future DIL and her 3 year old daughter came for the rest of the day. We did presents, snacks and dinner till they left, to spend the night at her parents ranch.

I also took a few walks and weather has been so nice.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:53 AM   #2365
Give me a forum ...

Just us for the first time in almost 20 years, and really nice to be to be in our own home for Christmas. Our Christmas holidays usually are crazy hectic with extended family (from overseas) week+ long gatherings at DF’s house. I needed a break!

But we were really busy with projects.

Our fridge stopped cooling last Sunday. Fortunately the RV fridge powered up OK, but we were scrambling with coolers and ice for a couple of days while the RV fridge cooled to temp.

Today we are expecting delivery of the replacement. When the original was delivered we took off the house front door to get it in. This time we got smart and ordered a less deep fridge! But do get the old one out without removing the house front door again we had to remove the doors/drawer fronts last night. Fun! (not)

DH is quite the handyman. The manual was clear, but it was not a simple operation! DH immediately knows what tool to use and more amazingly exactly where it is! Normally he can’t find anything. I just help (and measure!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 56394681-2DD0-466C-961C-553B14EE88E8.jpeg (66.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpeg CEED5048-5D58-4CB4-8CA1-0AE969A28DEB.jpeg (102.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 12-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #2366

16°F for my morning run, coldest day of the year. But it felt fine after the first mile so not a problem. What surprised me was the nearly complete lack of traffic. We live near a highway and I've never seen it so empty at 8am, even on a Saturday.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:20 PM   #2367

Continued work on the new bathroom. Today I installed a tap and drain into the sink the easy way...before the sink was attached to the vanity so I didn't have to crawl underneath. It made for a nice easy 15 minute job.

Wouldn't you know it...right after we were done GF found a brand new tap still in the box that we bought last year on clearance and completely forgot about.

No problem...I used it to replace the old tap in the main bathroom, and of course had to crawl under this time. But when we looked at them after installation we realized that the tap for the new bathroom would look better in the old bathroom and vice versa. So I then swapped both new taps to the other sinks.

One tap installation turned into four tap installations.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #2368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We had a Zoom Christmas this morning. One son, DIL and GD are 500 miles away. Our GS is in New Mexico, the other son, DIL and GD are relatively local.
It was great seeing and talking to them.
Great! We did the same early Christmas afternoon. My children, siblings, nieces and nephews across 3 continents. 50+ people across the active connections at its peak.

Afterwards we had dinner with youngest DS who lives nearby, then enjoyed a couple of Christmas movies - "Jingle All the Way" (DW had heard of it but never seen it and enjoyed it), and "Jingle Jangle" (new on Netflix, we enjoyed it a lot).
Old 12-26-2020, 02:54 PM   #2369

I had a moment of nirvana just now. Not sure if it's called that, but it was a nice experience. It lasted maybe 5 to 10 seconds??

It's cold here, and I already had enough tea for the day, so I heated water in an electric kettle and started pouring some into my thermos to drink. When I was pouring the hot water, the steam started rising up from the thermos. I feel like I fully experienced that moment - I somehow saw beauty in the rising steam. My mind is usually preoccupied with some other thoughts or I just do things haphazardly, but this moment was different. I felt like I was 100% there to experience that particular moment. I was fully immersed in it. I even felt tears come up - all from watching the steam rise, experiencing the beauty of it...

I'm usually not weird like this. I don't meditate or do yoga.

It is especially strange because I was watching The Handmaid's Tale before I stood up to get my hot water. Or maybe I had this strange moment because of the show LOL.

Maybe I should have written this in the paranormal thread.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #2370
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I was watching The Handmaid's Tale
Well, there you go....a break from anything associated with Margaret Atwood would automatically generate a feeling of wellbeing.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 12-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #2371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Well, there you go....a break from anything associated with Margaret Atwood would automatically generate a feeling of wellbeing.
I thought you might make a comment about my post!

Yeah, a depressing story, eh? But I do see a lot of strength in the protagonist.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #2372
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I thought you might make a comment about my post!

Yeah, a depressing story, eh? But I do see a lot of strength in the protagonist.
"Oh, oh...they're on to me.." ducks and runs.....

(If you look up 'turgid prose' there's a pic of Atwood alongside it. )

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 12-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #2373
Full time employment: Posting here.

Counted up our tax withholding and estimated tax liability for 2020 today. Any amount we owe the IRS should be less than $1000, allowing us to avoid any penalties. State tax withholding appears close to right on the button.

Glad to avoid any tax screw-ups for our first full year of retirement.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #2374

DW and I went to nephew's house to deliver presents and see them (his wife and 2 kids). Then went to a local place for nice lunch, get back and the Jeep is dead battery. No jump start working, battery had internal failure.

Called nephew to "rescue" us, and take me to local auto parts store and get a new battery. Swapped out the battery in restaurant parking. Fired right up with new battery. $148 of unplanned expense for the day.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 12-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #2375

I've had an earworm all day and contrary to the usual experience I've thoroughly enjoyed it. We listened to three different versions of the Nutcracker Suite yesterday, and all the tunes have been running through my head since I got up this morning. It doesn't get much better than that.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #2376
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
DW and I went to nephew's house to deliver presents and see them (his wife and 2 kids). Then went to a local place for nice lunch, get back and the Jeep is dead battery. No jump start working, battery had internal failure.

Called nephew to "rescue" us, and take me to local auto parts store and get a new battery. Swapped out the battery in restaurant parking. Fired right up with new battery. $148 of unplanned expense for the day.
Had a similar situation a few weeks ago, dead battery and called SiL for a jump. He got there but his dinky little 10' jumper cables wouldn't reach. So for Christmas he got a set of heavy guage 25' jumper cables so that the next time he is called on to rescue me he'll be able to do so successfully. It's the thought that counts.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #2377
Moderator Emeritus

Fedex'd a camera lens in for a trade-in, tried to contact Tilley regarding my newest hat being too big, renegotiated my Sirius xm subscription, and went for my first hike in 6 weeks following foot surgery.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #2378

Day 10 of retirement:

Paid my property taxes.

Wrapped a late Christmas present for the teenage cousin in my life. I'll drop it at the UPS store tomorrow. Amazon lost the first order, and the replacement didn't arrive here until today.

Downloaded all the photos on my phone to my computer. I've been meaning to do that forever and just never got around to it.

It's amazing how many more hours I'm finding in the day to just do things, now that that pesky w#rk doesn't interfere!
Old 12-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #2379
Recycles dryer sheets

We are into a 1 month COVID lockdown in our province, and I can't even go to Home Depot to get some sandpaper for a home project. So I spent this afternoon making 3 liters of enchilada sauce using chiles that we grew ourselves then smoked and dried. Some will go to our two daughters in town and the rest will go to the freezer for yummy dinners over the winter.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:19 PM   #2380
Give me a forum ...

Built my "deck gutter access panel"

I need to be able to access the "pee gutter" the dude built into the dog run so's I can blow it out as needed with the power washer. Got 2 hinges on (3) 2x6's between the deck and the wall. Gonna add the handle tomorrow.

Then it's just lift and spray!