Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #221
Recycles dryer sheets

Ambushed by beauty and wonder yesterday on morning dog walk
IMG_0658.jpg
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2020, 08:02 AM   #222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great pic!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 02-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #223
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Great pic!

+1. And I see how you got your username.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #224
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Ironed out all the details on our March/April trip to Berlin, Dresden, Krakow and Budapest. Looking for high quality moderate hotel rooms is time consuming but not difficult with the internet. No need for travel agents any longer.
Been doing travel planning a little everyday. You are right about time consuming! Did all my planning on paper for a complicated trip. Assumed pickOmg up a rental in Ireland and return it in Scotland. Come to find that one way drop off is another $2000 ! So no problem. Drop off in Ireland and take the ferry and pick up a new one on the other side. Oh but no car rentals on the Wales side where the ferry goes, change ports and voila, except not on weekends. Move around all travel dates and start over looking at hotels, flights etc.

Now I am okay with spending money but that i2 grand is blowing dough for nothing!
Old 02-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #225
Recycles dryer sheets

I helped a young couple, friends of our daughter, do their taxes. They're not married so it was two returns, but each had just one W-2 form and TurboTax downloaded the info in an instant. No investments or other 1099's so the returns were very simple. They work at the same small business that does not have retirement or other benefits.

I talked to them about starting savings / investment plans. One earned just over $32k so I showed her how opening a Traditional IRA and contributing enough to get under that limit would save her some money because of the Savers Credit. She looked puzzled, so I said "Look, you are buying $500 for a cost to you of just $413. Where else can you get a deal like that?" She agreed. She will keep it in a MM fund for now; I will talk to her about investment ideas in the next few months.

I'm happy she did this, and now I'm trying to help her get her debt under control - $21k total for car, CC, and a student loan for a course she never completed (that is priority #1!)

The other one is going to school and he is a veteran. His classes are paid and he gets a tiny stipend for living, so no money at all to invest right now. At least he's moving forward and will get a two-year certificate in something to do with computer systems & security. It sounds like worthwhile program.

They are good kids but grew up in spend-it-when-you-get-it families.

Brian
Old 02-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #226
Administrator

The young wife and I went to lunch after church today. In the booth next to us were two couples, about 60 years old, who were discussing their credit cards and debating whether it was better to have 11% interest and points back or 9% interest and no points. Hearing them, it occurred to me that I don't know the interest rate on any of my cards and never have, because in the 36 years I've had a credit card, I've never paid interest. So I've never had any occasion to care.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I've never paid interest. So I've never had any occasion to care.
Same here (and I suspect for most of us here). Yet I constantly get offers from some of them to sign up for a special reduced interest rate for some number of months. Junk mail (or email) of course, but it seems widespread.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #228
Give me a forum ...

Me too. I want no fees and cash back.

Working on a adapter for a motorcycle bag, my indoor FM antenna and taxes.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #229
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Church, then unloaded and loaded wine bottles in dishwasher, made omelet w/ salsa,cheese,and bacon, went for daily walk. After walk, unloaded bottles, sanitized them again, and bottled 6 gallons/30 bottles of 2018 Suisun Valley Syrah. Then bottled 5 bottles of homemade sweet Vermouth, cleaned up my mess, and moved about 30 gallons of wine in the refrigerators to cold stabilize. Now sitting at 'puter, awaiting a luscious dinner of grilled pork chops and butternut squash; and cleanup the last of the Syrah that didn't fit in bottles.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #230
Moderator Emeritus

This morning I got one of those phone calls that we all dread - - my oldest brother passed away in his sleep last night, at his skilled nursing facility in Honolulu, at age 77. Poor guy. He had been severely disabled (physically, mentally, emotionally) for 18 years since having some serious strokes back in 2002. We have had a long time to come to terms with this eventuality and I know I did a lot of my grieving for him years ago. Still, it is sad.

Meanwhile, the first big parade of Carnival (Mardi Gras) season to pass near our homes started a couple of hours ago. The parade route is just a half block away, so our street is jammed with parked cars and people walking to the parade. We plan to stay home.

Making things a little more dicey, we have a wind advisory and winds up to 45 mph are expected; it has been windy all day. I've been hearing loud marching band music, of course, accompanied by sirens in the background which probably does not mean anything. Hopefully the wind hasn't blown any floats around.

What a day.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #231
Moderator Emeritus

What did you do today? - 2020 version

Sorry for your loss, W2R.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #232

Sad news indeed. A rough day for you. Condolences.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:26 PM   #233

Even when you know it is coming that doesn't make it hurt any less. Sorry to hear of this.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for your kind thoughts, Ronstar, Walt34, and Braumeister. Here he is at age 14, back in 1956 with all of his fairly awesome mental capabilities intact. After Harvard and doing his time in Vietnam, he made a good living from his home by consulting now and then as a programmer and software designer. He was probably the most brilliant and creative man I ever met. After the strokes, he could not even read or think rationally. So tragic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob.JPG (16.9 KB, 191 views)
Old 02-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #235
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

W2R, very sorry for your loss.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 02-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #236
Moderator Emeritus

W2R, very sorry for your loss. At least now he is at peace and he is not suffering.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #237
Give me a forum ...

W2R, he was handsome at the young age of 14.

A sad day for you, but I hope good memories will help you heal.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #238
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry to hear that W2R. I have just known to many that pass to soon. Sad.

Today went to ranch and checked cameras and took a walk. I have been working on making a weather vane from some old windmill blades. Got things cut out and temped together now working on the best way to have the pivot point/rotation part done for the optimal wind speed for the vane to move.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #239
Moderator Emeritus

REWahoo, Aja8888, Street, and BbbamI, thank you so much.

As you all know, I am agnostic and not especially religious. But just this once I really, really hope that there actually is a heaven, because I know for sure he would be there. He deserved it if anybody ever did.

And yes, BbbamI, he was very handsome! Smart, too; he was already done with high school and began college at age 14 (later in the year that the photo was taken), having maxed out the SAT's and college boards and took first place in the state wide math competition. He also was the first string quarterback on the varsity football team in high school. But now none of that really matters; he is gone; dust to dust.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #240
Give me a forum ...

W2R so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose a sibling.

I'm currently cooking beef short ribs sous vide. They've been cooking for 30 hours and probably will go another 24. Never done this before so I have no idea what to expect. I also started cooking some chilli today, not sure when we are going to eat that. There's plenty in case the short ribs aren't good.

Went to the riverwalk with one of the dogs. The other one is too arthritic to walk more than a few hundred yards. Only in the mid 30s and the sun went away as soon as we were walking. There was a puppy with it's masters, only 8 weeks old, on it's first ever walk outside the home. It was half Great Pyrenees and half Akita, an amazing ball of phoof! It stood under it's master's legs with it's bright eyes taking in everything. It's DM said it was the alpha of the litter, today was a very big day.
Closed Thread